The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leechaney Posted - 10/10/2011 : 21:23:29
i sometimes have a problem getting python out as he appears that he wants to have a strike at me, is it a case of grabbing him ?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 14/10/2011 : 20:39:45
Ahhh the big bite debate, I think you just have to not worry about it and as silly as it sounds once you get the first one out of the way you see its not all that bad, its not pleasant but its more shock than pain, after that one you'll be fine because whats the worse they can do will have been answered already. I've actually never been bitten by my own but I've had them strike at me etc and a few headbutts (when they dont open their mouth during a strike) and its just so fast its incredible, before you see it coming its happened and you will sit back in awe of the speed of it all. If you've ever been bitten by a hamster or gerbil etc or a cat too that hurts LOADS more.
n/a Posted - 14/10/2011 : 20:05:09
Ah, sorry - I forgot about Ariadne, and Kelf's Anubis too ...there are always exceptions to the royal rule, but it makes life interesting lol (says she whose fingers aren't taking any punishment!)
reptilemadd Posted - 14/10/2011 : 19:59:06
(LOl - he'll probably never bite - most royals are soppy despite going into that 'S' position. And if he does, it will probably feel like velcro.)

Excuse me but I beg to differ Bats lol but honestly lee bats is right unless you get a little madam like my new arrival lmao
n/a Posted - 14/10/2011 : 15:23:28
LOl - he'll probably never bite - most royals are soppy despite going into that 'S' position. And if he does, it will probably feel like velcro.

I was really stupid, pampering Shahi and lifting him on to his branch. While hungry he homed into my warm hands and ...well, now he eats on the floor and likes it, bad boy!

There are loads of opinions on feeding in-viv/out of viv. In the end I think it comes down to what the snake's happiest with.

Good luck with the handling.
leechaney Posted - 14/10/2011 : 15:18:19
Burntathestake sounds like you have plenty of experience and getting bitten or nearly getting bit lol.
I was woundering about feeding him when he gets bigger in viv or out but looking at your one of your snakes that you mentioned with feeding on branch and biting your finger which I must say ( I found amusing ) lol has made my mind up when he gets bigger is to feed in viv.
I shall get him out tonight hopefully quickly as well as see what happens.
In some ways I want him to bite just to see how painful it is and to get it over and done with lol
n/a Posted - 14/10/2011 : 14:21:04
Hi, you're right, it is a confidence thing, and this comes with time.

The worst bite I ever got was when in a position of trust with my male, Shahi. He's a big baby but he trusted me to lift him on to his climbing branch and then feed him. I kept my hands totally rat-free and used tongs to handle rat, but on this occasion Shahi jumped the gun and whipped round as I was lifting him. HE thought he was being a good boy and taking down his rat ... only it was my finger lol. He's never offered to bite me in normal situations or even strike. Got a couple of hisses when in blue, as a baby, and I wondered if he'd bite, but no. This was purely a feeding response bite, and down to my bad management. I don't touch him on feeding day now lol.

I bought a little snow stripe corn with what her seller called an 'attitude problem'. She would rattle her tail and thresh about and strike and miss. I did wonder if she'd bite, but she never has. She seems to have grown out of it, good lass.

Then I got Ziska, a gopher snake whose ancestral pattern means she regularly does lavish rattlesnake impressions ...she WILL bite when I pick her up, but it's nothing, either a headbutt or velcro brush of jaws. It's all bluff. I know it's bluff, so I go ahead and pick her up even when she's carrying on at me. I'm not 'brave', I just know it's all show on her part, a bit like a dog growling when play-fighting - if it's your dog and you know him, you're not scared, but a stranger might be.

Ziska was a bit of a baptism by fire; she gave me the courage to handle a strange snake who couldn't be got out of his viv. He DID nip me but only after he'd recovered from the shock lol. Usually if you go in there and pick up a defensive snake, they'll calm down with a little handling ...talking handleable pet snakes here, not gtps or mambas lol.

This is easier said than done I know ...sounds like you and your lad are getting to know each other slowly and your confidence and his trust will increase with time. Sounds like you're making a good start.

There's only one thing worse than being bitten. That rat snake I've just mentioned ...when he found that nipping me wasn't going to deter me, he made a terrible smell and stuck his tail up my sleeve just as his vent began to bulge ...he went back in his viv pdq then lol!

Sorry for essay ...all the best with him!
leechaney Posted - 14/10/2011 : 13:29:13
Thanks jayde for input left him alone last night but got him out on the previous 2 nights tho but he was roaming around so on those 2 occasion it was very easy for me but wish it was that easy when he is curled up and he is in strike position
Jayde Posted - 12/10/2011 : 22:12:30
My guy gets a little moody about me having to handle him at times. Normally when it's cleaning time or when he decides to plonk himself right where the water bowl needs to go when it's being freshened. Best thing I've always found is to touch him first so he 'knows I'm there' and you instantly see his breathing calm and he relax's and then is absolutely fine to pick up. The more you fuss around, the more they feel they have to be defensive. So like it's been said, it is a case of just getting stuck in there, but again find something that works for you both, might be lots of handling to get used to the idea, might be an age thing and he'll calm as he gets a bit bigger, trial and error.
It's not everyone's choice, but I've got a handling glove for the purpose of unsure / nervous people using it when they wan't to handle mine. Maybe having one and using it until your feeling a little more confident would help. And during that time, your little guy also gets used to being brought out, but again, that's something only you can decide, as it's something each person will have their pro's and con's for.
leechaney Posted - 12/10/2011 : 20:06:45
D3lboys-Morphs yes twice b4 but missed me lol,
poor lighting was the 1st time and the 2nd time i just went to change his water then there was the 3rd and he missed and hit the side of viv,
I just wonder if there was a knack to it as low on confidence but each time i feel that i'm getting better, it just when he coils back is when i get problems.
Tawfik47 Posted - 11/10/2011 : 09:56:19
Blitz hissed at me when i handled him first, but now he is okay with picking him up for a few mins handling.
it's awlways hard at the first, but as they said, u must be confident and do NOT hasitate.
reptilemadd Posted - 11/10/2011 : 09:37:32
My first Royal was great never struck at me or even looked like he was going to, my little female though was a totally different matter she seemed to like nothing more than making a meal of me lol, I just carried on with her and she eventually calmed down.
I know it might sound daft but I've found that if you offer your hand palm up slowly for some reason they don't seem to see you as a threat "usually lol" good luck and don't give up
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/10/2011 : 22:01:46
Ive only been tagged once by a 300 gram pinstripe
It's more of a shock than it hurt
Yes it will draw blood but the actual tag will be over within 1 second

Don't forget to have a camera buy the viv just incase ;) joke

Maybe try holding your hand out
that's not going to pick up the royal to distract him
Then pick him up with the other

Has he ever gone to strike at you before ??
leechaney Posted - 10/10/2011 : 21:53:36
yes very much lacking lol, i have sliding glass doors so i have to go in from the front and he wont let me go straight for him.
But your saying that i should just for it and hope for the best, have you been bitten but a royal and how bad is it?
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/10/2011 : 21:39:08
Oh yes half way down
just open the viv up and pick him up I find if there resting they take a little while to start moving about

It's all about confidence

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000