The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Whats up with my snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 08:52:17
Picked my baby up this morning and i said a few days back that his eyes had gone blue but have since gone back to normal...

Picked him up this morning and hes so wrinkly, and his wrinkles are rough too, cant get a descent enough picture grrr so i found this thread...and he looks pretty much like this...only maybe not as rough...lol

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/570704-wrinkled-royal-python.html <---see thread for pic

Any suggestions as what to do, he was a bit like this yesterday and I simply put it down to the fact he might be shedding soon...but...then I read that forum and started to panic...any suggestions...cant be comfortable for him.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carlycorn Posted - 07/11/2011 : 08:20:05
Just as an update, I havent gotten any pictures because Saturday night I got caught up in a great game of killing zombies...

Anyways, I thought the shed and the move to a new rub might have stressed him out and thought twice about feeding him, but it couldn't hurt to try. Got a tiny rat pup out for him, all hairdryed at the nose...strike and gone in less than a minute...and hes out looking at me back and forth along the front of the box like "wheres the rest" obviously so hungry there was little time to constrict and even less to eat...I got him another (because im a sukka) hairdryed its nose after the defrost and again he took it, this time retreating to his soup box looking satisfied...

Only had him a few weeks and I thought I was going to have loads of problems, this is obviously one happy and contented snake :) and that makes me smile!

Thanks again, I will do pictures tomorrow :)
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 14:37:24
your welcome. you will have to post some pics of a shiney mister now
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 14:33:14
Its good to know I can keep the stat on the outside, just waiting for my digital thermometers now and its job done.

Thanks for the help this morning, I was in a right panic and he basically did all the hard work himself...now ill know for next time and ill be better prepared.

Im glad hes shed, means its on for feeding day tomorrow :)

Again thanks for the help
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 14:27:24
thats good news. put the stat probe outside on the heatmat and the didgital thermomiter probe inside then adjust till the temp is right.
you can put the stat probe inside or outside.
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 14:21:29
No its all fine. Checked his shed for eyelids and his tails nice and clear too. He was half way through but what he had gotten off was in pieces. I got some more warm damp cloths and sat stroking him with them until all the shed had come off. He also pooped on me (i assume a result of the nice tail massage he was getting). So now hes a nice and shiny snake. A few dry patches but for now all is calm.

Im sorting the new rub out now, my m8 drilled holes in it for me but how should I fit the stat in there? The holes are too small, can i simply put the lid over the cable, will the snake escape?
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 13:37:23
thats all good then. i would get the rub setup then give him a bath to help rehydrate him an let him run through a damp towl should remove the shed or some of it. let us know how it goes
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 13:30:00
Well i come back home with a new rub with holes drilled ready to go, some moss and other bits to make him feel better....went upstairs to check him and hes half shed :) and my stat arrived :) so smiling faces all around...
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 09:47:35
good name. wilkinsons do rubs for a few quid i think or asda etc. let us know how you get on
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 09:45:48
Ok, heres what I have done, turned the mat off, got a damp facecloth and put it in his viv. Right, well im off out to the reptile shop for moss and ill explore the town for rubs...oh and a mister bottle...

haha his names mister and im getting him a mister haha :\
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 09:33:21
yea the stick on ones are not great but ok for a rough guide. first thing i would do is turn the heatmat off till you have a stat they can run up to 40c without a stat, he will be fine for a while with no heat as long as hes not digesting food an get a didgital thermomiter. give the faun a few sprays with water an if you have not got a damp hide/moss box get a flanel wet and ring out then place this under/inside his hide/s.
ive not tried the energy drink bath i just bathed him with warm water. spagnum moss is what you want reptile shops sell it an so do homebase etc i think.
as far i i know fauns can be a pig to keep the humidity up cos of the ventalation. a RUB may be better
carlycorn Posted - 05/11/2011 : 09:21:58
hot end 30 degrees c - cool end 28 but their on stupid dial thermometers (my digital ones are in the post) so might not be accurate, hes in a faunarium, no hes not statted,(am also waiting for that in the post too).

Im unsure about the humidity in there, im guessing its quite dry...

I read about giving him a bath in some energy drink or something similar and giving him a moss hide, I dont mind going out today and getting the bits he needs and spending some time with him getting him better so, if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

What kind of moss would I get for him and where can I get this??
chrisc Posted - 05/11/2011 : 09:06:26
what is your setup like, what are the temps etc is your heat source statted? my rat snake went like this when i had the temps wrong then shed in bits and shes again a week or so later. looks dehydrated to me. try hiving him a warm bath or raise the hymidity in the viv.
by moving the water bowl under/over the heat source, putting a damp hide in there or spray the viv with water a couple of times a day to raise the hymidity

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000