The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 ive got wood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 11:36:15
this should keep me busy for a while
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 21/11/2011 : 09:09:37
great job u've done Chris !! very nice
MarkSue Posted - 20/11/2011 : 19:27:03
The one on the right would make a good attitude adjuster
chrisc Posted - 20/11/2011 : 19:19:22
heres some of the finished bits of wood, the others need to dry a bit more
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:45:08
i know a few trees but not all. i look for fallen wood thats not near any ferne/pine/conifer looking trees and treat it just to be on the safe side
boomslang Posted - 06/11/2011 : 18:33:04
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Oh niiiice! Congrats!

I do like natural branches. My first cornsnake book airily advised that a snake keeper could just pick up branches in the countryside and, apparently, stick them straight in the viv ...

That is why a few of my branches are au naturel with bark still on - although at least I had the sense to leave them baking next to a radiator all winter which destroyed any tiny beasties ...yes, I should have debarked them, and they look wonderful when they're all sleek and smooth and easier to clean too.

Yours will look gorgeous with the right treatment ...and no wounds I hope!

You don't have to remove the bark,or spend days pouring cleaner on them.theres nothing that can harm your snakes on wood found here.

Unless its rotted or wood from a chemically treated area,driftwood does need cleaning however.plus trees that have toxic sap etc etc.its really just knowing where/what the wood is you putting in comes from.
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 16:10:02
i always pick up fallen wood so its already dry ish a couple of the bits are still a bit green so once ive bleached/rinsed them will put them next to the boiler for a week or to then sand again once dry.
i only wanted 2 bits for my viv the other bits im going to sell
Lotabob Posted - 06/11/2011 : 15:44:37
I didn't bother with the bleaching, I sat them on the window sill for a few days and the sun has turned them a lovely yellow. I will F10 them before they are finally put into the vivs but their shouldn't be anything a snake can't cope with. They seem quite dry already too but time will dry them out completely but I dont think I need to worry about mould or anything like that either.

Bats, I'm leaving the bark on for my Gecko viv, a more natural set up for that. Its in my bath soaking in water at the moment, but again just a quick F10 before it goes in and job should be done, again nothing on the wood that couldn't in theory come into my house anyway.
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 15:02:42
their barkers, got 3 of them in the house an the tinyest noise outside they all go mental or bite the postman as on did the other week
n/a Posted - 06/11/2011 : 14:21:08
LOL! Are those barkers or de-barkers?? Cute!!
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 13:45:43
now de-barked and with no blisters, time for sanding, bleaching an drying

and the dogs helped

n/a Posted - 06/11/2011 : 12:08:44
Oh niiiice! Congrats!

I do like natural branches. My first cornsnake book airily advised that a snake keeper could just pick up branches in the countryside and, apparently, stick them straight in the viv ...

That is why a few of my branches are au naturel with bark still on - although at least I had the sense to leave them baking next to a radiator all winter which destroyed any tiny beasties ...yes, I should have debarked them, and they look wonderful when they're all sleek and smooth and easier to clean too.

Yours will look gorgeous with the right treatment ...and no wounds I hope!
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 12:07:17
cheers for the tip may go an ahve a look. ive got a big bushcraft/survival knife thats pretty good i just end up with loads of blisters
Lotabob Posted - 06/11/2011 : 11:48:21
Nip to B&Q and buy a plain, then dismantle it for the blade and the bark comes off a treat. Just be prepared for wounds.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000