The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 scaleless snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:01:59
saw something about these on practical reptile keeping so did a little searching found a few threads/site's.
seems wrong to me to breed something without its protective scales that its evolved to survive/adapt to its enviroment.
dont get me wrong cross breeding for different colours/patterns is fine as id does not affect the way a snke lives, eats, sheds etc but theres got to be a point where people shoud stop
thats my thought anyway. what do you lot think?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?300149-Scaleless-Snakes

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?83721-Scaleless-BP&s=a8ee370f75aab2be2aa2a2f130cb856f

http://www.reptileradio.net/reptileradio/showthread.php?t=11391
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 20:21:59
looks a bit odd think it would put me off if it wobbled all the time.
frank wobbles his head a little when hes eating then stops when hes done
n/a Posted - 07/11/2011 : 20:11:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4lBpoPIWY&feature=related

some have it all the time I believe - some scarcely wobble at all.

I've noticed Shahi wobbling slightly before striking but since he's cf he won't be bred from any spiders ...so, this thing is inherent in all royals maybe but seems to surface only in spiders and offshoot morphs, but in varying degrees.

Apparently they're the greediest feeders though, despite the worst cases being described as limbo dancers... and spider and spider related morph devotees seem to adore them ...
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 20:00:15
weird. do they have this head wobble all the time or just when feeding?
your right there boomslang something new an different so people will buy them an not worry about it being wrong
boomslang Posted - 07/11/2011 : 19:52:32
Whatever the wrongs are,which im sure we can list many These will sell like hot cakes.people overall don't care about the rights and wrongs if it affects how the snake eats,lives,sheds etc aslong as it sells.

Jayde Posted - 07/11/2011 : 19:49:49
Isn't it strange how they still have a visual pattern. I assumed it would look more like a naked snake, like when a ball has been attacked by live prey and it leaves the milky white flesh on show.
I agree that the animal looks very sorry for it'self and that it is an awful thing for someone to be doing.
Also If it's skin is that delicate, how does it move along various surface without tearing it itself?
n/a Posted - 07/11/2011 : 19:48:50
I've never seen it in the flesh but here it is ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGy4g1qJdpo&feature=related

what I don't understand is why this thing comes out only in spiders and snakes bred from spiders.

Have to say, no probs feeding though!
mystra Posted - 07/11/2011 : 19:40:25
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

whats the genetic flaw with the spider morph? not heard about that

there's some sort of head wobble associated with it.. i don't know much else but there's probably more detail coming from those in the know :D
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 19:20:53
whats the genetic flaw with the spider morph? not heard about that
reptilemadd Posted - 07/11/2011 : 18:58:00
I agree it's stupid breeding a mutation that doesn't help the animal, but then again there will always be people who seem to think it's a good idea and people who want to buy them, with the spider morph as a prime examle whilst I agree that the morph is beautiful to look at I think it's a disgrace that so many can breed an animal know it has a genetic flaw just because it looks nice
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 17:31:43
yes like mystra said bulldogs that cant breath properly
from what ive read it seems to be a natural genetic mutation that obviously does not thrive or there would be more of them about
n/a Posted - 07/11/2011 : 17:19:54
What they're basically doing is breeding a snake with a skin like a frog?

I never like to see anything bred to extremes ...look what they've done to dogs and cats, dogs especially.

Doesn't say if these snakes keep their brilles, eyecap scales - could make life difficult if they don't ...
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 17:12:11
heres another link i found. an interesting read. still think its wrong.

http://www.ratsnakezone.com/ratsnake-information/112-scaleless-texas-ratsnakes.html
mystra Posted - 07/11/2011 : 15:06:02
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

i can understand that its a bit novel, but i agree its wrong to basicly breed a snake thats disabled. if it cant do all the things it should be able to temp/humidity retention wise then its just gonna be unhappy.

yeah, it's like dog breeding has got a bad rep because of how breed standards mean certain breeds of dogs can't breathe properly etc. This to me is no different.
jonoandapril Posted - 07/11/2011 : 13:05:31
i can understand that its a bit novel, but i agree its wrong to basicly breed a snake thats disabled. if it cant do all the things it should be able to temp/humidity retention wise then its just gonna be unhappy.
GMac Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:05:06
folks are now selling scale less corns for a few grand not only do i not like them, they are not even corns they are hybrids.
boomslang Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:01:50
isn't there a natural scaleless snake?seen one that looked like a rat snake type.But that might have been bred etc.
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:40:15
quote:

if you don't like scales then get a hamster LOL

haha very true.
not sure if its on one of the links but read that the python does not have heat pits either. have seen some scaleless corn that look ill
mystra Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:32:15
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

did read somwhere else that they need higher humidity to retaine water without scales

hmmm, that's the thing i'm not keen on, if they need additional care to retain their water correctly then i just can't see the point in breeding them like this on purpose.

if you don't like scales then get a hamster LOL
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:25:06
did read somwhere else that they need higher humidity to retaine water without scales
mystra Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:20:02
have to say i agree... to breed a reptile to encourage a genetic mutation that means it doesn't grow scales at all just seems a step too far.

Surely in the wild they wouldn't thrive long enough to breed and produce more scale-less snakes etc :/

one of those threads said they feel so delicate like they might tear - eeek! i'd be rubbing cocoa butter all over it so i doesn't dry out or something LOL

On a simple owner level - they look really odd to me so i wouldn't want one... they look so wrinkly and depressed!

But different people will think different things... i suppose the whole genetics side and breeding to bring out this sort of mutation is interesting on a scientific level, in same way as the different morphs etc... but colours is one thing..changing an animals actual skin seems a bit much.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000