The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 What got you into snakes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MarkSue Posted - 06/11/2011 : 22:45:51
Thought id ask as i did`nt have any interest what so ever in them until our holiday in april 2010. The hotel had a snake show one night. At the end there was an oppotunity to have your picture taken with a snake. Our foster boy wanted to get one done, but he was to young to have it done on his own. After much begging and pleading i went up with him. I did`nt really want to, but what could i do?..Now iv never even touched a snake until this was placed round us

As you can see im a bit......shall we say, nervous lol, but that was it, i was hooked. Im now the proud owner of 4 snakes (so far)...

So. What got you into snakes?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Scottydog Posted - 03/12/2011 : 21:33:24
My son got me involved. I'd kept bearded Dragons many moons ago but was never really interested in Snakes, i just dismissed them as being boring. How wrong I was, im absolutely fascintated now.
LittlestarRed Posted - 09/11/2011 : 12:07:29
When I was very little my Mum's Cousin (yes I know that makes him my cousin too) kept snakes. He had Royals, boas and a burm. I loved them!!! I used to help him with cleaning out and feeding and as a reward I'd get to handle them (and the occasional packet of sweets lol). I always wanted my own snakey but My parents were terrified of them so no go. Started keeping small furries like Hamsters etc and fell in love with Chinchilla's which i kept for many years! Once my last old Chinny died (RIP Fudge I miss you!) Hubby didn't want any more, so I persuaded him we should get a snake and it went from there! We now have 1 Corn, 1 Royal, 1 BRB, 2 Beardies and 1 yemen chameleon! LOL
mystra Posted - 08/11/2011 : 20:37:21
i will be joining the "a big beautiful burm got me into snakes" club. I'm originally from Stoke-on-Trent, and i used to love going to Stapley Water Gardens near Nantwich because they had a small zoo there, and i was completely besotted with a lovely burm called Susie, she was fairly large when i was a kid, then as i grew, so did she! I last saw her about 4 years ago and she was just as gorgeous sitting in a big pondful of water. We even got to hold some her shed skin thanks to the one of the keepers.

Sadly the zoo closed down, and after some asking around on the dark side i found that Susie had died after having a series of tumours :( but she was a hue part of my childhood! And a huge shame as their 'meet the keeper' days were fantastic where they'd show off some nice snakes and lizards, as well as tarantulas and frogs... and even a very friendly millipede who wouldn't let go of my shirt sleeve and go back in his box!

But yep i think it might have been all Susie's fault!
Ellie Posted - 08/11/2011 : 19:09:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I neevr saw it It was a bit and run.

Oh, that's a shame. You'd think it could at least pose for a photo after giving your leg a good munch...very inconsiderate!
Lotabob Posted - 08/11/2011 : 18:49:14
I neevr saw it It was a bit and run.
Ellie Posted - 08/11/2011 : 18:46:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by Ellie

That certainly beats my story Lotabob...European adder definitely trump slow worm!

Its funny that something that would probably make a lot of people terrified of snakes for life is the thing that got you interested in them

I have never so much as seen a slow worm so you win, I'd love to see one, they are so cute.

I could say the same thing...I've never seen a European adder, and would love to see one...Not sure it would look so cute though!
Lotabob Posted - 08/11/2011 : 18:14:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie

That certainly beats my story Lotabob...European adder definitely trump slow worm!

Its funny that something that would probably make a lot of people terrified of snakes for life is the thing that got you interested in them

I have never so much as seen a slow worm so you win, I'd love to see one, they are so cute.
venommum2011 Posted - 08/11/2011 : 18:09:52
I'm a very recent snake lover, used to really fear them and wouldnt go near them then I moved to Rushden from Luton about 4 months ago and met my friend who owns about 7 - 8 snakes and she also owned a baby python up until last saturday when Polly passed away, also started nosing in the local reptile shop and started just touching the snakes then stepped up and held Polly and decidded I would have liked a snake for my daughter 5 yrs who adored them, my bf agreed so we got casper our corn but agreed he should live with m bf in luton. after handling casper a few times decided I wanted my own snake so after taking advice got my corn snake, but actually really wanted a python and after few weeks of having scooby i got my python destiny but now want a pie pyton.
Ellie Posted - 08/11/2011 : 17:09:43

Lotabob Posted - 08/11/2011 : 12:56:09
I was 'that kid' with the fascination in bugs and animals. Was always picking up bugs and bringing them home.

My first introduction to snakes was getting bitten by a European Adder! I jumped out of a tree and as I landed something whipped up and hit me in the shin. I saw nothing just felt it. It didn't take more than a few minutes for my leg to stop working and I was carried back to the house, emergency doctor etc etc. I remember the 2 puncture wounds in my extremely swollen and marbled leg where the skin was splitting. So of course after that I was fascinated by snakes as you would be, lol.
Ellie Posted - 07/11/2011 : 20:31:01
I used to rescue slow worms from my cats when they found them in the garden (luckily they didn't really damage them, but found it amusing to bat them around with their paws :( )
I know they are actually legless lizards not snakes, but I guess they are what made me so fascinated by our limbless scaly friends. After doing all my research I somehow managed to convince my parents that a royal would make a fantastic 21st birthday present...and here I am! As soon as I finish uni and have more space I am sure my collection will grow
chrisc Posted - 07/11/2011 : 17:18:57
i had a little garter snake when i was really young then last year i was given a sick beardie that i tryed to nurse back to health but in the end i had him put to sleep so he would not suffer( had severe MBD, treated for worms an could not walk properly then went down hill after improving for a few months) then i was supposed to be given a rat snake but bought a corn snake before he turned up and in the last 2 months is ive got 3 royals
Margwar Posted - 07/11/2011 : 15:41:56
My other half had a Royal before I moved in, after about 4 years of being basically scared of him, I got used to him (The royal not the other half!) then we started looking into the possibility of getting another snake, then I got a job and got a congratulations present of a king snake that I'd seen in the local shop, it just snowballed from there.
jonoandapril Posted - 07/11/2011 : 13:01:49
my bro got 2 corns as a prezzie from my parents. he was more into girls and beer after about 6 months so i took over looking after them. when i left home they stayed and then one day i managed to convince the OH to let me start the collection again. was ment to just be the one corn but now she likes them as much as i do and we have a small herd!
Kelfezond Posted - 07/11/2011 : 11:18:23
I was an outdoors kind of kid, spent all my time collecting bugs and creepy crawley stuff from the garden and the woods, had tons of spiders and beetles and grass hoppers and stuff and the next step was frogs and newts and slow worms, eventually managed to persuade my parents to get my a corn snake. The corn snake did nothing but bite me so I stopped handling it and sold it. I didn't do anything with reptiles for years and years after that until my 21st birthday when I decided I wanted a more impressive snake than a corn, came to TRP and bought my first royal.
missycupcake Posted - 07/11/2011 : 00:18:42
I was petrified untill a month ago when my friend pushed me in to seeing her corn snake then feeding it then handeling it after 6 hours of him asleep in my clevage i was in love haha , then i looked on line and youtube and decided i had to have a snake and as if by fate i saw a advert for prince and the guy lived 5 mins away :D
lemur Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:32:13
i got into them by being given one, a friend of mine was moving away and he wanted me to have her reluctant at first but love her now.
MarkSue Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:24:33
It is indeed a photo of a photo lol, its stuck on the side of my viv stack.
boomslang Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:09:13
Is that a photo of a photo lol as for what got me into reptile keeping.I've always loved animals and worked in two reptile shops,but at that time wasn't allowed to buy anything.

Plus i have a photo from a zoo just like your one.
n/a Posted - 06/11/2011 : 23:00:13
I was 5 or so and a neighbour had a smallholding and lots of pets, including a grass snake who lived in a rabbit hutch. Needless to say us local kids haunted the place and one day he had us all kneeling in a circle while the snake moved placidly through our hands and he gave us a talk on how snakes don't feel slimy, and how to support the snake's body and hold it gently.

2 years ago, when I was 57, after a lifetime of wanting to own a snake, I bought my first corns. In July 2010 my first Royal, Shahi, arrived...

I suppose I'm rather like a royal python myself; I get round to things very slowly ...

Love the pic of you and your foster-son.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000