The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Shedding problem/help/question.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 15:18:56
Well my pinstripe is going through a really really bad shed at the moment, he was fine everyday I checked him and then came to him one day to find his stomache looked all burned, but I have 3 digital thermometers set up and they all read the same (give or take 0.1Degree)so it can't be actually burned, the shed is pretty stuck though, although it feels loose, it's pulling his scales off when it comes off, a few bits have dropped off, and it's red raw underneath, I have had him at the reptile shop and he said he's seen it many times, and cases far worse than this, but anyway long story short, I am giving him daily baths in a mixture of water and Iodine to try preventing it from becoming infected, but his head shed and eye caps don't seem loose at all, even though so far he's had 5 baths (only one with Iodine so far)... Does anyone think it would be a wise route to try bathing him in some shed ease, or carry on with the Iodine first, or what?
Looking for some general advice if anyone has had this happen before, the last thing I want is fro him to go through anymore stress and pain than he needs to, but also don't want him with stuck eye caps and shed on his head and mouth etc...
Never had this happen to me before, and it's a very long drive to the vets for them to say "bath him in Iodine then shed ease"
So some advice would be really appreciated
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Oh How Original Posted - 17/12/2011 : 01:21:36
So am I, that's if they have some free appointments, I'll find out though.
mark_92 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 01:13:01
That should be okay then if It's a very light solution, let us know what the vet says on monday/tuesday if you wouldn't mind. I am interested to find out what this may be
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 23:24:50
The solution I am mixing is only very very light, it's the smallest drop of Iodine in a 3-4L RUB then about 5/8th filled with water...
But yeah a vet is a must on Monday/Tuesday.
No point just ringing them because people only say it's hard to diagnose and treat without seeing the animal.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2011 : 23:18:19
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

Lilith... I KNOW to take him to a vet!
The point of this topic as I've said over and over and over is I can't take him to one RIGHT NOW.
He will be going on Monday/Tuesday as soon as the money arrives from Steve.
So telling me over and over to take him to the vet is pointless.
He was already going there... I just wondered if there was anything I could do for him now to help.
If anyone has been through the same thing.
Don't mean to sound blunt but I do know that he needs to go to the vet.

Good.
mark_92 Posted - 16/12/2011 : 22:20:54
Maybe just leave out the iodine the now and raise the humidity in his rub/viv until he goes to the vet. I have never experienced your situation before but I have I have heard of iodine irritation skin.
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 21:10:24
Just thought I'd update a tad... Just given him a bath in a very watery Iodine solution, quite a nice chunk of shed came off, and some other little bits were the raw parts are.
Looking better than he was yesterday.
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 19:44:57
Lilith... I KNOW to take him to a vet!
The point of this topic as I've said over and over and over is I can't take him to one RIGHT NOW.
He will be going on Monday/Tuesday as soon as the money arrives from Steve.
So telling me over and over to take him to the vet is pointless.
He was already going there... I just wondered if there was anything I could do for him now to help.
If anyone has been through the same thing.
Don't mean to sound blunt but I do know that he needs to go to the vet.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2011 : 19:36:44
I WOULD say vet.
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 19:31:32
But his belly isn't burned... And I forgot to mention, when I first discovered him this way (not yesterday but the day before) when his scales came off underneath was quite red and raw looking, but in just the small journey from my house to the reptile shop (about 10 minutes tops) it was already looking quite "healed" for want of a better word.
So if anyone else has had a similar problem, what did you do as a first step?
And don't say vet...
n/a Posted - 16/12/2011 : 19:05:10
http://asktheburnsurgeon.blogspot.com/2011/01/iodine-burns.html
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 18:55:36
Indeed Steve, I'll be getting him to a vet as soon as it arrives, my point was I don't have it right this second, so I was trying to get some advice... I know he needs one.
His belly isn't actually burned though, and it's like Andy said (from the reptile shop) he has seen loads of this kind of thing, and far worse ones too that have been treated with Iodine no problem.
Money should be here Monday/Tuesday anyway so see what he is like then and I'll get him to a vet if it's no better.
reptilemadd Posted - 16/12/2011 : 18:53:38
I'm thinking that bats is right OHO I was in the same boat with my dog this time last year he needed an operation and although we have insurance for him they wouldn't pay the vet direct so cutting a very long story short it ended up costing me nearly £800, but that was the price we had to pay since it was our choice to have the dog in the first place and not his fault he was ill, so as a matter of urgency I think you should get him checked....
Kelfezond Posted - 16/12/2011 : 18:45:20
Looks like it was a good time for me to pay that money OHO lol
n/a Posted - 16/12/2011 : 18:37:15
Iodine irritates and can make raw wounds much worse - tamodine is much gentler

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Tamodine-wound-dressing.aspx

No shed I've ever seen or heard of results in raw skin as you've described. I really do think this is one of those occasions when you need to beg steal or borrow the cash to get the little guy to a decent rep vet. No, your local vet will probably not know much about exotics, most 'small animal' conventional vets are decent and won't con you into bringing a rep to them. You really need a rep vet.

If your belly skin was peeling and leaving you red raw, from 3rd degree burns or otherwise, where would you be? In A&E of course.

Get that little guy some help.
Oh How Original Posted - 16/12/2011 : 18:21:45
Yeah course he's on a stat lol, they all are wouldn't put one on without it, I was just pointing out that I tried the temps with a few different thermometers to make sure the regular one isn't faulty or anything.
His belly isn't actually burned, but I double checked to be on the safe side anyway.
And just at this moment in time, I can't afford the £30+ for fuel, then a vets bill on top, plus anything else I may need to treat him, and then no doubt have to take him back again in a few days for more treatment and/or check-up.
I've already tried my local vets and they don't know anything about snakes.
Never heard of Tamodine before, Iodine was all I could get.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2011 : 16:21:47
If bathing in some sort of medicinal solution is needed, you need tamodine rather than iodine; it's gentler than iodine, and is his mat statted? You need a stat as well as thermometers.

Also you really need to get him to a vet, no matter how long the drive - a good rep vet will give you plenty of info and guidance, which you need to follow.

All the best with him.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000