The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 silly question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 17/12/2011 : 22:05:02
how good is a snakes eyesight and how far can they see??
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tom C Posted - 19/12/2011 : 14:22:32
Izzy does appear to watch the tv so maybe able to see movement or detect different shades eg light colour moving over dark or vice versa
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 18/12/2011 : 22:47:36
Thanks for the replies very interesting x
Lotabob Posted - 18/12/2011 : 22:06:41
Snakes have a whole load of ways to know what's what. Sight, heat detection (IN SOME BUT NOT ALL SNAKES), vibration detection, directional sense of smell via the tongue and also smell through the nostrils, the only thing they are missing is a radar dome.

Its questionable as to how good each type of snake's eyesight is, I think it cant be too bad, they all have tapetum lucidum in their eyes, the bit that reflects light to give the retina a second shot at seeing clearly what its looking at. I'd also say that so good are some snakes eyes they have to almost completely close the pupil in daylight to avoid seeing too much light. They also have their eyes to the side but also facing forward to give excellent all round vision, my Boa has very expressive eyes and they are always on the move keeping an eye on things, she will follow things with her eyes too so she can see very well in my book, as she locks on to strike something too her pupils widen as if taking in more information.

As for recognition, I think scent will play a much bigger part but eyesight should play some part, my Spot will come to me with the glass shut, that must be more visual than scent.

The bit that amazes me is that all their senses working together makes them a very aware animal and a very keen hunter.
BlueDragon Posted - 18/12/2011 : 09:12:30
I always thought it was a balence of the two things: eye sight and heat detection. That they learn to reconize things through sight that may be of benefit to them otherwise. IE food, sex, etc. When I first got Tig he ignored me, but after a feed or two I noticed him 'watching' me all the time. Following me around the room. So I thought maybe he's learnt to see me as 'the bringer of food' and therefor something to be interested in? I don't know for sure of course. But he also very quickly learn to reconize the food bag his rats were defrosted in. I'd open it in front of the viv to let him know dinner was coming and trust me he always knew!

Maybe it's not so much what's moving that they see with their eyes, but reconizing what may benefit them? Maybe our snakes just tolerate us 'cause we're the grub bringers! X )

Either way though, I think most Snakes have pretty good eye sight. You see all those wildlife programs on TV and they always seem pretty acurate. I do think heat detection plays a big part, but eye sight is needed as well?
n/a Posted - 17/12/2011 : 23:07:00
I have a corn with only one eye (Cy - short for Cyclops) whose supplier claimed she had difficulties feeding because she couldn't see the mouse. I thought this was a bit ridiculous, since surely she could smell the mouse, but I do have to admit ...she's a weird feeder!

She needs a bright light and to cruise round the mouse, eyeing it with her one eye and her head on one side. Also I mustn't hang about, as she'll see me and come zooming over to the window ...'where's my mouse then??'

Crazy snake ...
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 17/12/2011 : 22:47:22
i think loki can see me from across the room too but not sure if he just picks up on the movement.
n/a Posted - 17/12/2011 : 22:43:14
I think it depends on the species, and I've heard that snakes (when detecting objects by eyesight rather than by heat) do not 'see' anything stationary, but my lot eyeball me from across the room.

It's an interesting subject.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000