The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 snakes with similar temperaments to royals

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 19/12/2011 : 18:35:57
What snakes are good for beginners like royals are? i am completely comfortable with george but im not gonna take the step of getting a bitey snake lol

I dont like corn snakes but im looking for something different
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 20/12/2011 : 17:35:22
The king cobra did cross my mind but I want to be the first TRP member to get a cobra not you :D
GMac Posted - 20/12/2011 : 17:05:38
there is always the crawl cay boa, similar in size to royals but not as heavy with the females usually topping out at no more than 4 and a half feet and the males 3 and a half.
acd1984 Posted - 20/12/2011 : 16:16:46
LOL thanks for the advice guys, especially you Kelf, im surprised you didnt recommend a king cobra lol

iv only been tagged once so im not what you would call acclimatised to it which is why im after a snake thats very similar to a royal.

I must admit that i prefer the look of pythons more than weird looking snakes.

i like boas, they are impressive snakes but im weary of such a powerful snake since i only weight about 8 stone wet lol

decisions decisions :D

n/a Posted - 20/12/2011 : 11:51:49
quote:
Originally posted by MarkSue

MBK`s would fit the requirements

Lol - I'd be far more scared of being musked on than bitten!

I love my corns but it's impossible to housetrain them. Yeah, the worst bite I ever had (and it wasn't that bad) was from Shahi who accidentally anticipated feeding time (my fault.) Ziska, my gopher, carries on just like the one in the vid (only I don't dangle her by her tail of course) and I've only had two tiny tags from her (as opposed to the odd painless nip) and again both were due to my bad judgement.

My new pine snake, Shadrach, despite also being a pituophis like gophers and bulls, is totally laid back. He's only a baby and still settling in, and whether he'll get a bit more bolshy later on or stay angelic, I really don't know, but he's calmer than a corn. So I reckon it's often down to the individual snake as well and not just the breed.
MarkSue Posted - 19/12/2011 : 22:09:17
MBK`s would fit the requirements
Lotabob Posted - 19/12/2011 : 21:53:48
haha first thing I thought was green tree python, must be evil running in my veins.

Species selection can only go so far to selecting a non bitey snake the closest I've ever been to a bite from one of mine was my Royal, totally my fault too. My Hogg Island Boa is a bit temperamental, mainly around food, but she hasn't got me yet. I do think its all down to decisions you make when handling your snake (or when not to) and reading the signs your snake is giving and then throw in a bit of luck as to whether you get bitten or not. Choose a snake you like the look of, want to know more about and are comfortable handling at adult size and don't worry about the rest.
n/a Posted - 19/12/2011 : 21:50:28
Naaaah, a gopher every time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElirdTv4F9k&feature=related

Mind you, if somebody picked me up by the ass, I'd carry on alarming!

Pythonwizard Posted - 19/12/2011 : 21:16:32
King rat snake ? :p
n/a Posted - 19/12/2011 : 19:23:20
Ohhh lol!

A green tree python! Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZ69by5i2I&feature=related

Naughty!!!

Mind you this happened to me with Shahi ...ooouuuchhh!!!
Kelfezond Posted - 19/12/2011 : 19:18:02
I'm sorry I meant a green tree python!

lol okay so i'm at work and bored I apologise xD
n/a Posted - 19/12/2011 : 19:13:09
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

I fully recommend a blood python ;)

Kelf!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok-_wwUlzrU&feature=related

Kelfezond Posted - 19/12/2011 : 19:08:40
I fully recommend a blood python ;)
blackskull Posted - 19/12/2011 : 18:55:06
how about a dwarf boa. i recently bought a sonoran boa. they get nice and chunky but not overly long, my female will get between 5 and 6ft

n/a Posted - 19/12/2011 : 18:45:10
I've heard that Woma pythons (not to be confused with the woma royal morph) are very laid back. These are an Australian smallish python, very pretty, rare though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pDtC3dADE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=eQzTnSSfQ44

Drooooolll!!!
GMac Posted - 19/12/2011 : 18:40:00
milk snakes tend not to be bitey, but the do musk and can be quite fast as young ones.

But as Kelf has mentioned all snakes will bite it is not species dependent it is just their nature as its the only defense they have.
Kelfezond Posted - 19/12/2011 : 18:38:21
Boa's are very friendly but they can be a bit hissy.
to be perfectly honest it depends on the snake I have 34 baby boa's and only got bit twice while in the whole time I looked after them. Most snake bites are owners fault

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000