The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Water bowls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptilemadd Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:37:04
Hi guys I've been meaning to ask this for ages but keep forgetting lol, anyway I change the water in both my vivs on a daily basis, and they are both ceramic for obvious reasons but when I change the water I use my hands to give them a bit of a clean and for some reason they always feel slimey, and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and if so what do you think it is? I think it's cause of the high heat in the viv but I would only expect this to happen if the bowls had been left in for a few days..
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 25/12/2011 : 10:32:29
i once left a spare water bowl with water in ontop of my royals viv, and within a week the whole of the surface of the water had created like a skin of the slime stuff, and was horrible, and i clean my water bowls every 1-2 days, and its not that bad, but in the steps after a week of the cleaning i tend to need a really good soak in boiling water to get rid of it good.
im sure on another forum someones wife was a microbiologist and did a few tests on the slime and found it is non-harmful to them, just not guna be nice to drink
acd1984 Posted - 24/12/2011 : 20:48:50
reading up a little on the subject, if you live in a soft water area you are more likely to get the slime for some reason.

so the further north you live the worse it would be which in my case seems to be true, im from Blackpool and get slimy bowls daily
acd1984 Posted - 24/12/2011 : 20:43:15
i have the exoterra bowls and they are also slimey every day, not much we can do really, its worse around the steps in the nooks and cranny's lol.

i just rinse under hot water with a dedicated snake sponge and its fine
Lotabob Posted - 24/12/2011 : 00:11:28
I clean my bowls daily too, they are plastic and in the hotter vivs they get a bit slick too. The slime is full of bacteria and they thrive in the warm and I think (though dont hold me to it) its the bacteria that actually produce the slime.
n/a Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:59:36
Yes - always slimy, think it is the heat in the vivs. All we can do is keep them scrubbed - I find a squirt of F10 solution and the dedicated snakey washing up brush (and a good rinse) every couple of weeks or so keeps the sliminess at bay.
mystra Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:38:06
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Hi guys I've been meaning to ask this for ages but keep forgetting lol, anyway I change the water in both my vivs on a daily basis, and they are both ceramic for obvious reasons but when I change the water I use my hands to give them a bit of a clean and for some reason they always feel slimey, and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and if so what do you think it is? I think it's cause of the high heat in the viv but I would only expect this to happen if the bowls had been left in for a few days..

oooh good question... something i've often wondered!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000