The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Boa & Python opposite feeding styles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 27/12/2011 : 22:37:12
Tonight was feeding night, and delighted to be able to say that both ate without problems, but what I did notice was the method both snakes used.

Feanor the Boa grabbed, coiled but then after a few seconds released to reposition his mouth on the mouse. He did this several times until satisfied then swallowed quickly.

Slinky the Royal on the other hand grabbed, coiled but not once did he release his bite. It took him ages to get the position to swallow. This was his 4th feed and twice he ate bum first lol.

I feed in a separate box, works well, but Fea swung his head around as I picked him up and nose butted my hand no teeth but I felt a cold nose.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 28/12/2011 : 16:47:04
Dunno - this is a pic of Shiva's first feed with me - he was keen - still is!

jonoandapril Posted - 28/12/2011 : 16:26:57
haha, our carpet is only a little fella atm, but he wont come out and eat unless we give him something high to strike off. i reckon my normal female or my amel corn has the strongest feeding out of the lot of ours. literaly pressing themselves up against the glass when its feeding time then pretty much jumping out of the viv onto the scran. maybe its a girl thing?
n/a Posted - 28/12/2011 : 13:09:25
LOL - I have a few corns who will do that - however they're not quite up to the size of a carpet lol.

Impressive to watch though!
blackskull Posted - 28/12/2011 : 10:08:54
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

both my royals like to re-kill their rats, constricting them for up to 15 mins! my wifes carpet python will only eat if he can strike from above... odd little man!

my jcp is a monster when it comes to food. she has the strongest feeding response i have seen in any snake i have owned. will strike from anywhere, has even come flying out the viv and constricted the mouse on the bedroom floor
jonoandapril Posted - 28/12/2011 : 09:54:03
both my royals like to re-kill their rats, constricting them for up to 15 mins! my wifes carpet python will only eat if he can strike from above... odd little man!
reptiledanny Posted - 28/12/2011 : 09:39:42
ye i find that maya the boa will full on strike the rat as soon as she smells it near her, coil it to death, and then let go when she is sure its dead (which is usually after about 20 seconds). the only problem is i like to watch her, but as soon as she lets go she turns round and stares at me either saying 'its my food, get lost' or 'one day ill have you again ' which means i have to either put a towel over her viv to get her to eat it, or leave her alone. she will then either find the head or bottom, and eat it. the only other problem she has is she refuses to eat in her viv, she has to be fed outside it, weather thats in another rub, or if i hold her outside her cage, ofer the rat so she strikes and then put her back in.
bow on the other hand (would have said bow and bullet but bullet is still being horny) smells it as im warming it, then strikes at the rat wherever is closest, constricts, and then sits there for 10 minutes, and then eats it. never lets go unless she has a leg and cant eat it there.
2 completly different eating styles and habbits, but thats why its nice to own different species of snakes
JanieW Posted - 27/12/2011 : 23:27:45
:) Thanks Blackskull,

I bet she'll let you watch soon, she's just being coy
blackskull Posted - 27/12/2011 : 22:58:25
congrats

not seen my boa eat yet, she wont touch it if i sit there watching, or if i keep popping my head into the room.i just have to drop it in and look in the morning to see if she has eaten it
JanieW Posted - 27/12/2011 : 22:52:18
*grins* Thanks Bats..so really better to be nipped by a Boa than be chomped on by a Royal..but dammit I do wish 'The Thug' as hubby calls poor little Fea would mind his own damn business and not scrutinise my every move. lmao I havn't gotten used to that yet!
n/a Posted - 27/12/2011 : 22:46:59
Congrats!

Yes, my corns often do that, coil madly round the mouse and then let go. Sometimes they even lose it, in every sense, and even bite themselves trying to find it again. Whereas, as you've noticed, a royal, once it's gripped, will usually work slooowwwwlllly round the rat in order to start its meal.

Glad they both fed for you!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000