The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Kids??????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scott da bot Posted - 07/01/2012 : 14:38:22
So I got Betsy out for a handling session last night and the kids wouldn't leave us alone.
I'm not saying that i'm upset that they wouldn't give some time alone but they just come running over from nowhere and scare the life out of poor Betsy.
They love holding her and stroking her but they just don't get that they need to calm down a bit when she comes out so she can get used to them.
My kids are 8,5 and 1+1/2 and I don't want to have to wait till they are out before i get her out.
Not sure weather to just carry on as I am or to try and wait till i'm home alone to handle my Betsy
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 11/01/2012 : 21:03:22
At the end of the day if you can't beat them...

...what's the point of having kids.
scott da bot Posted - 10/01/2012 : 08:56:36
quote:
Originally posted by carlycorn

Kids learn by error, they never learn by being told what to do. Its scientifically proven that if you tell your child not to touch something, psychological this makes them want to do it.

I dont set rules, you get bit...bad luck...you wont wiggle ur fingers in its face next time. Ive been bitten, didnt hurt, i got over it. When kids fall over it doesnt make them want to stop walking. Good training in "getting back on the horse".

If its a new snake, let it get used to you first, I usually wait till bedtime then all the animals come out while the kids are sleeping.

This is my kind of thinking the only problem for me is that if kids do get bit I then have to deal with WIFE (lol) and that's not gonna work for me.
What I did do the other day was I got her out when they were finishing there homework and as they were already settled they were great with her they all took a turn holding her and there was no problem.
I think I'll just have to pick my moments better ;-)
Dont forget, a cats scratch probably hurts more than one snake bite.

carlycorn Posted - 10/01/2012 : 08:37:04
Kids learn by error, they never learn by being told what to do. Its scientifically proven that if you tell your child not to touch something, psychological this makes them want to do it.

I dont set rules, you get bit...bad luck...you wont wiggle ur fingers in its face next time. Ive been bitten, didnt hurt, i got over it. When kids fall over it doesnt make them want to stop walking. Good training in "getting back on the horse".

If its a new snake, let it get used to you first, I usually wait till bedtime then all the animals come out while the kids are sleeping.

Dont forget, a cats scratch probably hurts more than one snake bite.

blackskull Posted - 08/01/2012 : 11:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Easy problem to fix scot, take a walk to your local woods and find some appropriate sizes wood, 5ft or 4ft is a good size, then you're going to want to take a sander or sand paper and smooth it down so you can run your haands over it or grip it without hurting yourself. You can add some polish to it if you want to give it a nice shine.
at this point you request that said naughty children put their hands out infront of them and WHACK :D

lol this is what i wound do hence why im never having kids
Kelfezond Posted - 08/01/2012 : 10:11:07
Easy problem to fix scot, take a walk to your local woods and find some appropriate sizes wood, 5ft or 4ft is a good size, then you're going to want to take a sander or sand paper and smooth it down so you can run your haands over it or grip it without hurting yourself. You can add some polish to it if you want to give it a nice shine.
at this point you request that said naughty children put their hands out infront of them and WHACK :D
blackskull Posted - 08/01/2012 : 09:32:53
not on the same lines but the oh sister tells her kids 'i will send you to uncle robs if your not good to feed to the snakes' lol
scott da bot Posted - 08/01/2012 : 09:02:37
That's some great advice Jayde.
I'll try and get some rules sorted,we already have a nuaghty step so that can come into play.
JanieW Posted - 07/01/2012 : 22:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

This short film shows the change from child to teen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY

That is a classic, just showed my terrible teen lol I love it..thanks Bob
Jayde Posted - 07/01/2012 : 22:29:52
My best suggestion is this: (bare with me, it looks like an awful lot, but in practice it's merely 5 mins)

*Create 3 or 4 "golden rules" for when you are handling your snakes with the children.
*Make them short enough & clear enough for them to understand. (even your youngest will soon learn them )
*Have them printed out in some nice bright, bold text, and mounted / stuck on some card.
*Before it's time to have the snakes out, sit down as a group and go through each golden rule.
*Explain the consequence if they do not follow the "golden rules" (this can be anything you want, a time out chair, step, waiting outside of the room, or whatever discipline area or routine you may have within your house hold)for a minute or 2. There will most likely be resistance to this the first times it has to be exercised, but will soon go with the flow when they realise they miss out on snake time.
* Give them all an equal amount of time with the snakes (using a timer, such as a cooking timer that dings, or a phone or something may make this easier as they will have a prompt of when their time is up)
It is up to you to decide if the children will stay in the room, or leave once their turn has ended, based on how things go up to this point, or from other experiences.

Something else that may help with the whole process is getting them involved with other routines for the snakes, such as helping to change water, cleaning the out etc, and dropping in the golden rules, and being calm and such in general conversation with them, providing educating reminders without them feeling in a restricting conversation.

Or if you have the opportunity, make a small, 5 or 6 page "book" (pictures of the snakes & a few basic interesting sentences) about the care, needs, and requirements that snakes need, and reading it once a week at bed / story time, and letting them look through it when they want to.

I know this one will make things feel abit limited at first, but maybe for the first month or so while implementing a routine, having set handling dates that fit in around feeding, and marking it either on a chart or in the family calendar with a sticker or something that can be easily identified by the kids, so that it's a controledl structure to start with.

These are processes I use alot when I have area's and matters that need to be covered with my long term children at work. It takes a few goings through to get the system rolling, but once it starts it has a snowballing effect and sets in very quickly, and proves to be very effective. Persistence pays off eventually.

Hope some of these ideas help
Lotabob Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:51:45
This short film shows the change from child to teen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY
reptilemadd Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:00:47
JanieW is right lmao my 14 and almost 16 year old are a complete pain in the rear end well one is permanently and the other when we get to see him (Xbox addict) not sure what they'd respond to best you could try telling them if they aren't really quiet they could very well get pooped on, although given there ages that just might encourage them lmao.
JanieW Posted - 07/01/2012 : 16:01:52
Hate to be the one to tell ya..but don't you believe it! lmao
They get worse..oh yes, much worse hehe
scott da bot Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:57:18
quote:

I have had it with kids, my 14yr old has gotten to the stroppy stage

14 your lucky I think mine are already there lol
JanieW Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:42:49
then none of them get to hold her lol

I have had it with kids, my 14yr old has gotten to the stroppy stage
scott da bot Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:23:39
This works for a little while but as you can imagine as soon as 1 of em has held her they then go and start running around cause they have had there turn ggggrrrrrr lol
little buggers
JanieW Posted - 07/01/2012 : 14:51:33
Hi Scott,

I think what'll have to do is sit with your kids quietly, and explain with authority that they have to be quiet and calm around Betsy. Then if they don't, they won't hold her.
I#m sure they'll understand, especially if they love handling her.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000