The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 vivexotic vx 3ft

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jimmer7 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 15:24:26
hi think slight problem,on this viv you can take top off by undoing the 2 clasps at each end,but there are no fixings in the middle,now the top is bowing in the middle you can see clear light,about 6-7mm it seems to be getting worse.have any one else had this,if so how dis you fix it.dont really want to put screws through the top.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
blackskull Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:15:19
i ended up screwing the top down on the viv the oh has borrowed for the beadie until we get a bigger one as once i broke the seal and removed it to get the extra fittings in. the heat from the bulbs started warping the top opening it up
jimmer7 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:11:35
sorry viv is drivig me around bend, it will get there in the end.
blackskull Posted - 15/01/2012 : 20:01:14
if you have a rub that you could keep him in for a day you could still seal the top, you would just need to sit a weight on the top so it sits down then seal. you would need to leave it for at least 24hrs to cure though

thats the problem with chipboard bats, one little gap in your seal and the water will find a way in and swell
n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:57:40
Yeah Jimmer, if you want to re-caulk you'll have to keep Winston out of there for at least 48 hours - fumes are terrible and it needs to cure - screwing's going to be easier.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:53:58
Oh lol sorry don't know all the correct terms lol ...

Just refloored viv that's been misted a load of times so floor swelled ...caulking just came away like that rubbery glue stuff ...caulked it to hell now though lol - fierce!
jimmer7 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:52:41
no i did not seal the top,i thouhgt that defeated the point of haveing easy access top,i did seal all the rest of viv though.I was thinking of sealing it shut but winston is liveing in there now thats why i think ineed to screw it..
blackskull Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:42:25
carpenter, how dare you bats im a bench joiner lol

did you seal the viv with silicone on the internal joins when you put it together?

once cured the silicone will act like glue and hold it all together. its a bugger to remove the top once sealed, i had to take the top off one of the vivs for the beardie. took a knife to break the seal and bruit force

n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 17:04:11
LOL - as one amateur carpenter to another, I'm not going to laugh - you should see my efforts, I sort of learn from my mistakes but still I'm learning - and you do get there in the end...it'll be fine by the sound of it.

All the best!
jimmer7 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 17:00:25
hi i built it myself(dont laugh)theres fyxings in the bottom front panel, but not in top as its designed to lift off,now viv is all set up as i like,im going to screw it down,and see what happens.i dint want to use screws but cant see away round it.
Thanks for the offer though.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 15:56:47
Did you buy it as a flatpack, or did a supplier assemble it for you? I've just thought - are there circular holes about 1cm across drilled in the front panels (above and below glass) because really there should be some fixings in those. (Not very good ones, as I've described them, but at least they're fixings.)

If so, I've got 4 spare ones, as I got a 2' viv for Shiloh and it came with fixings for a 3'. You're welcome to them if you'd like them.

Also I've got an instruction leaflet for assembly, and, more importantly, the address etc for vivexotic, who you might want to ring and ask advice from.

All the best.
jimmer7 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 15:43:11
it have been fine for couple of weeks just started noticeing this gap ,which is getting bigger over time,
n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 15:39:45
OMG that sounds terrible!

How come it's bowing? Have you got anything sitting on top or has it just started bowing by itself?

I've noticed the front panels of the vivexotic range are a bit flimsy - you have to keep an eye on them otherwise they loosen. Could be my lousy carpentry lol but while the fixings for the side panels lock well, the front and back panel fixings (and I really can't understand why these have to be different) tend to work loose after a while ...grrrr!!!!

The only thing I could suggest is using angle brackets on the wonky panels - true you'll have to screw them in, but they will be stronger than just using screws into the wood. Trouble is, I hate using screws inside the viv - I prefer screw-eyes, which have no sharp edges. (Although these could of course be feasible.) Otherwise I'd be inclined to fix the angle brackets on the outside, but that would look ugly. Less fiddly though.

Blackskull may be along soon though - he's a carpenter and will know more than me.

Hope you get it sorted.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000