The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Call for the Callingtons - plan of attack!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/02/2012 : 14:48:24
Yes - I've got them!

Or rather, it's Sulah who's got them.

I've had her over three weeks now, and the minute she climbed into her water dish after her first feed, I naturally suspected the worst, but was relieved to find no ominous little specks in the water. Also, I did a lot of research about carpet pythons soaking, and a good few people said that carpets love to soak. It's what they do. AND she went blue less than a week after purchase.

So, she went on soaking from time to time, shed well, eats like a little wolf. Just lately she's liked to soak every night, then goes and perches during the day. I've been changing her water every day and still scanning it paranoidly for specks.

Then, on Saturday, I found them. One squished, leaving a brownish stain. My heart didn't exactly sink into my Uggs; rather it plummeted down to the cellar. I thought I'd reserve judgement - and a couple of bottles of Callingtons too, just in case, but this morning I saw some more, and magnified them, and it's mites all right, and they squished, leaving HER blood ...oh hell and all the rude words mods won't let me use! Poor little bugger!(It's hard to see them on her as she's got a speckledy belly.)

As we all know, mites can descend from anywhere. It's logical to think that Sulah COULD have brought a few eggs with her, but, as I've said in the past, these days you can pick up the little bleeders in the supermarket if you're very unlucky ...Well. I've been lucky for about two and a half years, and in that time I've collected 14 snakes. All in vivs with a load of fussy decor. And I definitely wouldn't win housewife of the year award (Who would WANT to lol!) The house is tiny, cluttered, messy - and there's NO spare space to move the snakes into.

My only advantage is that Sulah's on her own in the back bedroom. Next to her viv is a spare emergency viv that I can strip out, set up with minimal hides and paper substrate, and, when the Callingtons comes tomorrow, zap that viv and move her in after 15 minutes, and then clear and zap her old viv. Of course she'll have to be deprived of her jacuzzi for 24 hours as Callingtons is safe as long as she doesn't drink any fume contaminated water.

I've been reading about olive oil baths, which look very good, but she only ate yesterday so I don't want to stress her out. However, I shall use them if needs be.

I also intend to throw all her gear in a strong binbag and zap with Ardap, and leave it in the yard and pray for frost. Well, her driftwood I'll bake, but as the egg killing and freezing trick worked for Blackskull (many thanks by the way, Blackskull for a lot of info posted re Callingtons') I'll try that. Also Ardap lasts for several weeks; if anything hatches out and emerges into the sealed bag of kit, it's not going to last long, is it? And thanks Laws for the tip about Ardap and other advice and support.

Hoping I might contain the invasion ...BUT, as we know, the little b******ds, or their eggs, travel. I realise I may have to do it for the lot of them. My impulse is to get them all out and inspect frantically for mites - BUT, I think they may stay safer in their vivs with minimal disturbance. Keeping a keen look out though.

So I'm prepared to have to treat the whole household. What fun eh?

Not!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/03/2012 : 16:19:25
Well, no mites have been seen since before the end of February, and I'm beginning to feel optimistic that they have gone.

Still taking precautions though.

I thought she was shedding - but no. I can't get used to those funny chondro eyes; it's hard to tell if she's opaque. Also I've hardly been handling her, so I didn't examine her close up, especially as I thought she was blue.

The day after my last post, I had a brainwave.

Her original viv (side by side with the spare viv, where I was housing her) had been Ardapped three weeks previously, hadn't it?

So why not simply move her in there? I'd removed the aspen (after treating it with Callingtons and leaving several days to minimise risk of spreading mites) but I'd left her plants, hides and vine in there, so they were Ardapped too. I reckoned no mites ought to survive in there, and she could safely have her water dish.

She was delighted; she came out of comatose snake mode and zoomed round exploring (I was able to get a good look at her underside as she climbed the window)and finally went and perched in her favourite place.

I sealed the air vents of the spare viv with gaffer tape to prevent any fumes wafting into the back of Sulah's viv, removed her kitchen paper and cardboard hides (as usual into treated, quickly knotted binbag) opened the door furthest from Sulah a few inches - and did that viv with Ardap too. It lasts 6 weeks and kills even large insects on contact.

She has never soaked since the first application of Callingtons', and has never missed a meal throughout.

Still very much on the alert, of course, checking water bowls, checking snakey bellies when I do handle (which hasn't been much because I've tried to minimise contact with all of them to prevent any nasties spreading; armchair walkies are sadly curtailed but hopefully things are looking up.)

But ...fingers still crossed ... I'm feeling now that we MITE be mite free!
n/a Posted - 13/03/2012 : 15:30:54
Mite day again - and a slight dilemma.

After treating the viv, I have to remove the water bowl for 24 hours otherwise residual fumes could contaminate it.

Sulah's blue, and she needs her humidity. Can't provide it in other forms, such as misting, damp hide or flannel, as she could lick up dampness and ingest the Callingtons'. So what to do?

I still can't see any more sign of mites, so I reckon the wisest course is to delay further treatment until she's shed, which can't be long now. Refilled her water bowl and put it right underneath her IR bulb and crossing my fingers I that don't have a setback...
n/a Posted - 11/03/2012 : 17:30:17
Well, Sulah has been very quiet this week, and of course I started to worry that I'd done something wrong (had I sprayed the viv too long etc.) Although a quick glance at her shedding record told me that it was highly likely that she was in blue again.

Having seen no more mites, I broke my rule of not opening her viv unnecessarily last night, and brought her out in her warm hide-of-the-week, a kitchen roll inner. She moved sluggishly, her skin very dull. Still no sign of mites. Touch wood.

Today, feeding and water change. I wiggled her small mouse about at one end of her cardboard tube. Nothing. Then a head appeared at the other end of the tube, eyes very opaque. So I'd been right, thank goodness.

I offered the mouse and she struck and coiled. The carpet feeding response! Now she's watching at the mouth of her hide, still in hunting mode. She's obviously a growing lass. Next week I'll try her with 2 small mice, and order her some rat fluffs when I refill the rodent freezer.

Touch wood, no sign of mites in the rest of the snake population. Shahi and Saada are still fasting, Surahi's broken her fast, Shiva hasn't fasted at all, and the colubrids are just being dustbins.

Everyone here at Bats' Belfry is crossing fingers, paws, tails, whatever, in the hope that we might, eventually, just be getting back to normal ...well, what approximates to normal in this madhouse lol!
n/a Posted - 06/03/2012 : 17:57:05
Well ...again mite day. Soon comes round!

No sprinkling of mites. A couple of black specks - but they refused to squish (I'm getting paranoid about black specks, anywhere!) The ones I found in Sulah's viv were more like tiny specks of dirt. They wouldn't squish. Mites squish, even if they're dead.

I may of course be wrong, and I went through the usual ritual.

Sulah is still eating well and growing fast.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2012 : 11:49:31
Oh **** I mean damn - sorry to hear about Ice - that's rotten luck!

Yes it would do no harm to treat the other vivs - I've been contemplating doing this myself with my other lot but as Sulah was well away from them to begin with haven't so far.

(Erm before I go any further do please excuse the lack of commas as my comma key is for some reason not responding - anyone know how to unstick a stuck key on a computer???)

Right - back on topic. This is only a personal opinion but before moving anything out of Ice's viv I'd spray the whole setup - even substrate - in situ. Then when you do clear it out hopefully any crawly things will have been zapped rather than court the danger of spreading them further through the household. Even during the weekly clearout of already treated paper substrate and disposable cardboard hides I spray the mouth of the plastic bag they go in and take it straight out to the bin.

Callingtons' is good stuff - I think the beauty of it is that once it's sprayed there is no need to disturb the snake further - apart from water changes - until the next weekly treatment. I find that when I replace Sulah into the newly treated setup the mites fall off her; previous to last mite day (Tuesday) I'd noticed a another sprinkling; this week there have only been one or two. I need to see the viv clear for a month to be hopeful that they've gone entirely.

Also on Tuesday I noticed a distinct liveliness; she was plastered against the window tracking before going off to do some bulb-guard gymnastics - naughty girl - and then I saw that there was a huge mess to clear out. Not surprising - she's eating well and growing and despite mites is clearly a small snake in good working order so I hope the same goes for Ice and that she thrives despite the mites. I'm sure she will. Takes a lot to put a corn off its grub!

All the best and good luck with the evil little suckers!
Scottydog Posted - 02/03/2012 : 00:03:44
We've jut noticed mites on our new Snow Corn so this post has been a very helpful read. Just ordered some callingtons too. Although we cant see any on Jake (Our Royal) or Madonna (Our Boa) I think we're gonna treat both their vivs too jut in case.
n/a Posted - 21/02/2012 : 16:00:51
Ah, well, this is becoming Lil's mite diary lol.

Time for the second spray today. I took out Sulah's water bowl, swilled it under the bathroom tap and submerged it in the sink. I had a small rub, pre-treated with Callingtons, to which I transferred her after a very quick check - can't see any mites on her but her belly's speckled, which makes it hard.

Her favourite warm end hide and the kitchen roll around it was sprinkled with mites. I've been eyeing some of these black specks for days, and they haven't moved. Water bowl was clear though.

I had a rubbish bag all ready, and everything, paper and cardboard hides, went into the bag, which was knotted and the knot sprayed. A quick blast of the viv floor before setting up with fresh paper and cardboard box hides. Sprayed with Callingtons'.

Sprayed her old viv and backs of the vivs, in front of the vivs, again with the Callingtons'. Then took the bag of old paper/hides out to the wheelybin, and sprayed the inside of the wheelybin with Ardap, just in case anything survives in that warm black plastic interior.

Waiting now for fumes in Sulah's current viv to disperse. I checked after 15 minutes but they came steamily wafting out despite spraying for the correct time. A little longer to wait won't hurt Sulah, though she's a bit annoyed at being confined in that rub.

Just rechecked fumes, still a bit fumy. Found a mite on the clean paper! If it wasn't dead it is now.

Here we go, after about 40 minutes, back in her viv. No mites left in the rub - took paper out of rub though and flushed it down the loo. She'll get a clean water bowl tomorrow and so ...that is that for another week.
n/a Posted - 19/02/2012 : 18:39:22
Ah sorry, Welly - re-reading this thread, I missed your post but yes, good point, and will spray at back of vivs when I take her out for the Tuesday spray (can't do it till then as she ate today.)
n/a Posted - 19/02/2012 : 18:08:57
Thanks J

I will keep this routine up for the next 3 weeks and THEN, if there's no sign of the little suckers, I might be able to consider Bats' Belfry mite free ...although for a long time I'll be on standby ...no new kit, no new snakes. Got plenty of Callingtons' and Ardap in. And still observe quarantine/mite precautions. Just in case.

But yes, hoping ...
jbarlow91 Posted - 19/02/2012 : 16:18:12
That's good news. Hopefully they will be gone for good now
n/a Posted - 19/02/2012 : 16:11:51
Well, no more soaking, waterbowl is mite-free and have seen no more sign of the little ****ers ...

Sulah ate a small mouse today and I didn't have her out to examine her, as she will have to come out on Tuesday so that I can spray her viv (and her old viv) again.

Am feeling a bit more optimistic than I was a week ago ...
n/a Posted - 16/02/2012 : 17:29:35
Thanks, Laws - and boas as well lol. Hope they had a good feeding session.

Hi, J, yeah I have a soft spot for the feisty ones, they are so naughty and cheeky and it's a real triumph when a defensive snake calms down with handling - I like a challenge lol (though I love them all.)

Well, today she was invisible in her warm hide, water dish unspeckled (and haven't seen her soaking either) and no apparent specks on the kitchen roll substrate. I didn't open her viv as I wanted to do the other snakes' water dishes and have as many out as possible for a quick check over ...all, as far as I can see, clear.

And did some housework (groan!) but going to try and get the place as clean and tidy as possible. And a HUGE can of Ardap arrived - 750ml for £12.99, delivery free from Amazon - you were right, Laws, it's really good value.
jbarlow91 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 06:47:25
Lol can't beat a nice feisty snake BATS makes handling a lot more fun
Laws Posted - 16/02/2012 : 01:16:30
good luck bats , they CAN be beaten and u are doing all the steps u need to get them all! Callingtons is great stuff and also ardap to finish them off , and ardap lasts for 6 weeks so great to use as a preventative too . Got my fingers and toes crossed for u , Lex , Braxs and Roo have their coils crossed too (they are feeding so they do actually have their coils crossed :) )
n/a Posted - 16/02/2012 : 00:39:31
Lol - I know - it's always a relief, when an animal's off-colour, when they start being naughty again!
jbarlow91 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:35:22
Little madam! U help her out and that's the thanks you get lol. What they like
n/a Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:29:23
Thanks, J - when I changed her paper she went for me - twice!

I knew she could be feisty but haven't seen any sign of it up until now, so I'm hoping it's a sign that she's feeling more like her usual self lol
jbarlow91 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 17:13:53
You are doing your best by her they will be gone sooner than you know it
n/a Posted - 15/02/2012 : 13:32:21
Ok, well, the first thing I did when I got up was to check on her. She was in one of her makeshift hides - and there were a few tiny black specks on the walls. One was crawling and I squidged it. With hindsight, I ought to have put the hides and paper substrate in BEFORE I fogged the viv, but I suppose it's a good sign that they weren't ON her, like dying fleas dropping off a cat.

I gently tipped her out into her viv, threw the contaminated hide into her old viv which I'm clearing and respraying today, zapped the hide, and closed the door fast. Then I gave the area in front of the vivs a tiny spray, just to make sure. I've since sprayed another breadstick box that I can cut up for hides once the fumes have dispersed. Might be a good idea to spray some kitchen roll for her and change her substrate at the same time. Oh, and I've given her a water bowl of course. Examining her old water bowl yesterday, I could hardly see anything - good.

As with every new venture concerning animal care, I'm scared of getting it wrong ...but it's a learning curve I guess.
n/a Posted - 14/02/2012 : 18:54:57
Thanks guys!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000