The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 odd feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ppl_clectr Posted - 13/03/2012 : 13:20:13
I just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar experience as me. I bought a baby cinnamon girl, hatched out in Nov. She is a VERY docile, sweet girl, we have handled her a few times already. She ate 3 days after we got her, and it was the strangest thing. I offered her the rat, and she very daintily, carefully took the rat from the tongs. No strike, no action. It was like giving one of my dogs a treat. I thought it was an odd thing. Then last night I fed her again, and it was a replay. I have never heard of a Royal being dainty. She eats the rats just fine, but what is that about??
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/03/2012 : 21:19:28
Ah - I've never owned a king - yet! Love desert bandeds and MBKs although a bit put off by their reputation of musking (would rather be bitten than crapped on) so you reassure me lol.

Lol - your corn reminds me of my Buffy, who once dangled down from her climbing branch to pick up lunch, struck, coiled - and zoomed skyward like a bungee jumper ...

Yup, all snakes are crazy, that's why I'm BATS about snakes ...
Strawb Posted - 14/03/2012 : 20:15:40
I have a cali king and its the daftest and most mellow snake I own. Never once has he been aggressive.
Regarding feeding, my corn once struck the rat so hard he fell half out the viv and hung there still coiled around it until I gently put the loving couple back in.
The longer you keep snakes the more you realise that they're basically all mad.
n/a Posted - 14/03/2012 : 14:49:26
Yes - definitely! I have heard of the odd feisty one and I sometimes see a little feistiness with mine but it's nothing. I can put my hand in the viv with my worst tail rattler and she's never bitten. I have a greedy one who'll give me a tiny nip if it's getting near feeding day and she hopes my finger's a mouse, but usually they're totally soppy, really inquisitive and friendly snakes ...a lot of mine 'help' when I'm cleaning them and chase the scoop like kittens. Their only failing, in my eyes, is that they're terribly proud of themselves if they can make a mess on you, and never mind if you've already cleaned up a mess, a corn always has a spare tankful ...love them though!
ppl_clectr Posted - 14/03/2012 : 13:25:39
I had a Kingsnake Bats, but she was nasty and the kids were afraid of her. I rehomed her, and vowed to stick to Royals. Are corns more agreeable?
n/a Posted - 13/03/2012 : 22:49:04
Yup - corns are essential - plus the royal python gods provide us with corns to recycle the rodents refused by the corns in the royal fasting season ...
ppl_clectr Posted - 13/03/2012 : 22:33:49
LOL! Maybe I need to get a corn next?
austin_89 Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:23:44
Mine once struck at and coiled around the duvet cover! There was just a little pointy bit of duvet poking out of his coils! Lol

The 2 corns don't strike, they just casually slither up to it, remove it from the tongs then lay it on the bottom of the tub before deciding to eat it, its quite funny to watch lol
n/a Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:38:59
LOL - yes - my corns are great at that - they strike and coil and then forget where they've put the mouse ...

Saffy - it's there! In your coils!

Saffy bites the floor, the walls, bites herself, several times ...where the hell is the mouse!!!!

Eventually ...oh yeah, it's there ...ohh have I got the MUNCHIESSSSS!!!!

Nom nom!!!!

ps yes, the same Saffy who opened her gob for the mouse to be posted into - she's got more laid back with the years lol.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:21:50
Haha!! That had me creased up reading that out to the Mrs!! Monty's aim is shocking, she tends to strike fresh air or the box if she's lucky. She once even latched onto herself!
Lotabob Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

One of my corns, Saffy, once stuck her head out of her viv, and as the mouse approached, opened her mouth for me to put the mouse in ...

Haha my corn used to eat this way when he was little, now he is the mouse terminator, he actually makes it possible to kill a dead mouse, pop it, cover everything in blood and guts and then slurp them up like some sick noodle bar dish.

They dont all strike, my new housie gently picks up its mouse and walks it round the tub first, shows it around then when its not looking swallows it down lol.
The Boa is the only one that strikes without fail from day one, strikes at mice, rats, hands, rubs, rub lids, dogs, faces, elbows, tea towels, fresh air and kitchen roll. Thank yourself lucky its not a Boa lol.

n/a Posted - 13/03/2012 : 14:20:17
Yes, I've had snakes do that. One of my corns, Saffy, once stuck her head out of her viv, and as the mouse approached, opened her mouth for me to put the mouse in ...

The weirdest feed I ever saw was one of Shiva's. He's shall we say vigorous - but on this occasion he didn't take the rat in his jaws - he just coiled, hard. Then, after some thought, he tasted it and finally ate it.

Yup, as long as they eat, that's all that matters, but they don't half surprise you sometimes.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 13/03/2012 : 13:47:59
I guess the important / relieving thing is that she's eating - if she's lazy that's not the end of the world. Next feed you could always try making her work for it by dragging it round the box (assuming you feed outside the viv) and make her chase it - Monty hates me when I do that
ppl_clectr Posted - 13/03/2012 : 13:45:05
OK, I won't worry too much. Everyone else in our collection is a savage at feeding time. I was truly surprised.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 13/03/2012 : 13:36:31
Monty does that occassionally, especially if I bump up a mouse size - it's like they arent too sure, or are a little overwhelmed by size, or something.

The first time she stuck with me was her second feed, and she struck so violently that I didn't let go in time with the tongs and the mouses tail came off!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000