The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 invasive alien species

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 14/03/2012 : 10:30:19
please take a few minutes to fill out this survey, check "Full document available here" at the bottom for any assistance
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/822180-invasive-alien-species-online-public.html
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 17/03/2012 : 14:14:38
cool. ive cross posted this on other forums an fb ect.
got untill the 12.04.2012 when the public consultation ends

i have now contacted my local mep about this issue, hopefully they might be able to help/do something.
now to see if i hear anything from them

austin_89 Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:44:30
I've filled it in...
chrisc Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:22:59
The main risk to pet keepers appears to be the option for the EU Commission to introduce a ‘white list’ of legal species, as opposed to a ‘black list’ of those animals that are known to pose a risk to native ecosystems. While a white list is widely understood as the most easily administered option, experts strongly criticise this approach. Only 15% of the 11,000-plus alien plants and animals in the EU are considered damaging to biodiversity, which experts sy proves that ‘white-list’ legislation is unviable and unnecessary. “A ‘black-list’ would be fairer and more effective,” says Chris. “A list of species that that are proven to be sufficiently hazardous to each native ecosystem and introduced on a country specific basis.”

this is what worries me, if they make a white list of animals it would be extremly damaging to the hobby.
putting a blanket ban on a snake/lizard/plant ect that would survive in say spain but would be unlikely to survive in colder climates like the uk is the wrong way to go about it. lets hope theyre sensible an make a black list of animals for each country/ecosystem
ppl_clectr Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:22:06
No invasive snakes here...it can get to -20 degrees Celsius in the winter. LOL!
n/a Posted - 15/03/2012 : 13:42:31
Yup, I'll have a read of it and take it from there.

There are already feral colonies of corns and aesculapian snakes in the country, and I've never heard of these being any bother - probably a good rodent control like UK native snakes. Would be a pity if these benign creatures got classified in the same category as Japanese knotweed ...
chrisc Posted - 15/03/2012 : 12:12:26
anyone?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000