The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Feed day

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Se7enS1ns Posted - 17/03/2012 : 11:26:44
Here's my stock;

That's 2 medium mice, 1 large mouse, 1 extra large mouse, and a weaner rat.

Monty weighs 420grams and is 2'9''
Ifrit weighs 720grams and is 3'10''

I'm not sure what to feed to who! The guy I bought Ifrit off said he didn't have much luck with weaner rats and was feeding him 2 medium mice instead. Also as Ifrit has only been with me a few days, I'm not expecting him to eat. Monty on the other hand is a trooper, snatches anything put in front of her. Maybe I should bump her up to the extra large mouse?

What weight do you move a Royal up to weaners?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Se7enS1ns Posted - 18/03/2012 : 18:13:42
Result number 2! Monty is a brilliant eater, I'm really going to worry about her the first time she skips on me. Decided to not chance the weaner, will save that for another day. Instead, I thought I'd try my luck a doubling up mice - 1 large and 1 medium (combined weight 52 grams).

Didn't think she was going to take the large one at first, she just sat there staring at it for quite a while - sizing it up I think. She got really close before striking, practically licked it first! After she'd got that one down and was looking at getting out of the box, I dropped the medium one in, and because I feed her in a large cardboard box, it's claws made a scratching noise on the cardboard, which immediately gained her attention!! She absolutely powered that one down, never seen her swallow one so fast. Pretty pleased!
n/a Posted - 18/03/2012 : 14:07:05
Some people measure their snake with a piece of string ...then take it (the string I mean) to the shop to wrap round the rodent. Well, got to get it right.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 17/03/2012 : 21:14:40
She's 420 grams - I've got no idea how much the weaner weighs because my scales are rubbish!! Going to buy some digital ones tomorrow.

I probably shouldnt put the weaner next to Monty to measure up - she's so keen she'll probably try to eat it frozen!!
n/a Posted - 17/03/2012 : 20:49:02
Ohh dear ...can't tell without seeing Monty next to the weaner. Have you weighed it and her? Or if its girth's no bigger than hers, it would be safe to offer. Otherwise it's a couple of smaller mice I guess ...
Se7enS1ns Posted - 17/03/2012 : 20:19:28
Success! Ifrit struck, not immediately, but he took the mouse - not bad considering I only got him on Wednesday night! I've obviously got lucky twice in a row with my choice of snakes - Monty is a champion eater, never skipped one yet. Here's hoping Ifrit has the same appetite!

I hedged my bets and offered him the extra large mouse, mostly because I wasn't convinced he'd take it which meant I could then offer it to Monty (rather than bin it), and also because the previous owner hadn't had any success on weaner rats.

Problem is of course, that was going to be Monty's dinner! What to feed her now!? Reckon the weaner is too big for her?
Se7enS1ns Posted - 17/03/2012 : 12:55:59
Hi Bats - I'll let you know how I get on today, which will most likely determine my order.

Going to try the golden rule of 10 - 15% of body weight.
n/a Posted - 17/03/2012 : 12:44:37
Hi, depends on the size of the weaner as they can weigh anything from 30g to 100g. I'd personally prefer to get a royal on to rats asap, at whatever weight.

Talking of rats and mice, I'm going to be putting that order through in the next week or two. I need to wait till the end of March before I can be sure Sulah is mite free and that it's safe for you to call, but so far so good. (She's upstairs and the rodent order when it comes, will be in a polybox and go straight down into cellar freezer so that should be safe enough. But I can have them all ready sorted and packed to hand to you on the doorstep just to be on the safe side - naturally you can examine them first lol.)

Here is a list of weights of rodents from TSM -

medium mouse (14-20g) pack of 50 - £20.00 - 40p each
regular mouse (20g+) pack of 50 - £26.00 - 52p each
ex-breeder (no weight given but I understand these to be about 45g) pack of 50 - £32.00 - 64p each

weaner rats - mixed bag of 50 weaners below 90g for £38.00 - 76p each
small rats - 90-100g - pack of 50 - £49.00 - 98p each

I've quoted packs of 50 as these are the cheapest way of buying them.

You'll see the terminology varies from supplier to supplier - one man's medium mouse is another's regular lol.

I'll be ordering small, regular and XB mice, and weaner and small adult rats, so can supply you with what you need at the above prices, but if you'd like me to order a separate pack of something to come with my order (as I'll be getting free delivery) here is the link for TSM: http://www.tsmreptiles.co.uk/page2.html

Hope the feeding goes well!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000