The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Another Handling Post :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 01/04/2012 : 22:10:39
I'm not worried, neither have I any problems, just wondering really :)

Apart from the 48hrs ish after feeding, most days both Slinky and Fea come out for anything up to 3hrs each, right from the first days.
I say out for handling, but really they just snuggle in against us and sleep..Slinky is resting on Steve atm, and gave a big yawn:)

We were talking about their temperaments earlier and Steve was saying that if Fea and Slinks weren't handled for a couple of weeks they'd get hissy again. That'd be hard tho as neither ever were lol

Ok so I do have a question lol..would a snake remember or forget being handled?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/04/2012 : 13:08:45
Lol - it's been hell and I've felt so guilty. But seems to have worked with regards to preventing spreading any nasties. Armchair walkies will be back to normal soon!
Keg Posted - 03/04/2012 : 11:45:31
Dont think I could wait a couple of weeks lol
n/a Posted - 02/04/2012 : 15:19:21
I've handled my lot as little as possible during the past couple of months, due to the mite worry, and have seen very little difference in their behaviour. Poor Shadrach has really missed his armchair walkies though, and has been very glad to see more of me recently. Shiva came to the viv window one evening to tell me he'd flooded the place, so of course I had to pick him up and put him round my neck. He clamped himself there for the next couple of hours. I could fair hear his sigh of relief.

Sulah will be the interesting one. I've had her almost 3 months; during her settling in period I discovered mites on her, and so apart from brief necessary checks, I've never handled her properly at all yet. She's fine when I go into the viv though I can't wait to get her out and make proper acquaintance with her.
Tawfik47 Posted - 02/04/2012 : 15:06:23
When i had to leave Blitz for 20 days (when i was in Czech) all I got when I handled him first time after the 20 days was a hissing, for one time only no more no less, then he get back to normal.
chrisc Posted - 02/04/2012 : 00:37:01
all of mine are fine if not handles for a week or so apart from the rat snake jeff he gets a bit jumpy if not handled for a while but soon calms after handling a couple of times.
he was found left in a flat an very thin an the person that nursed him back to health hardly handled him.
a friend bought a rack with various snakes in a gave me jeff as he was jumpy an fesity. hes just seems naturally a bit nervious but only bitten once an that was a feeding response
Lotabob Posted - 01/04/2012 : 22:23:48
I doubt a couple of weeks would do any harm, I only handle Duke once every few weeks and he is fine, in fact he is better for been left alone. I think it only really counts handling them often when they are young to show them that you pose no threat but I think you'd have to leave them with no human interaction for a very long time before they got defensive.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000