The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Grump

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 14/04/2012 : 16:50:44
Almost finished Sanchez's vivarium (lots of faffing about getting things looking right)

As some of you know i spent a lot of time trying to find someone who made vivariums in black.... i found a company that did.

Took 5 weeks longer than they estimated, but no communication AT ALL to let me know when to expect my delivery etc... Fine, no big rush

Then i started to construct one to find 3 extra pieces, no instructions and i couldn't work out where they went! Emailed 4 times and called/left voice mails as they never answered. Nothing. Shoved the extra pieces up a corner and forgot about them!

So now the shell is in a complete state. What a mess.

The 'black ash' is a con - each piece of wood is basically covered in the black ash thing (fair enough that's how they're all done) but you can see the seams on each edge a mile off... will fix with black marker pen lol.

The bits just don't fit together very well, to get everything decent meant a lot of extra screws!

And weirdly, I asked for a 15 inch tall rather than the standard 12inch, but told him to put it with the standard glass he'd use for 12inch and have a bigger ledge at the top for the runner... nope just massive amount of glass sitting up to the top of the viv... which looks really odd as most vivs have that lip...hides the fixtures in the ceiling like heating etc.

I wont name names, but some of you know which company i used, i will give them 1 star out of 5! Gutted that i'm stuck with the damn things... considering flogging the other 2 and finding somewhere else but i really need to get on with building them!

Sorry feeling very grouchy and no i have no legs to stand on much like my snakes haha... i should have built it quicker so i could have sent it back and got a refund! So much for trying to support a small business :(

Hopefully the interiors will detract from how shonky they look on the outside!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mystra Posted - 17/04/2012 : 22:01:26
quote:
Originally posted by Lorraine

That sucks Mystra. I hope you get it looking as it should, although you shouldn't have to even be trying. I'd have been well peed off too.

just one of those annoying things... i didn't really realise how shoddy it was once assembled :(

Looks better with those seams coloured in lol... just sorting out the probes, and have tested the lights... got an awesome LED strip with remote to change colours and all sorts from a bloke on RFUK, looks brill... even in as yet unapproved-by-Sanchez 'disco mode' LOL

wiring is a pain the bum though, so many probes and wires and things!
Lorraine Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:51:21
That sucks Mystra. I hope you get it looking as it should, although you shouldn't have to even be trying. I'd have been well peed off too.
blackskull Posted - 15/04/2012 : 13:38:10
some people just don't care about their work and are just driven by money

the amount of rubbish joinery and carpentry i see when on site baffles me, theres just no pride in their work. we made front doors and frames and double patio doors and frames for a big retirement village down here and the chippys did a rubbish job fitting them then tried blaming it on our joinery (when hanging the double doors they would take it all off of one side so the stiles ended up un even and the front doors were not coated for ages so warped when they got wet) they were sub contractors so just did it as fast as they could with no pride. we had to make new doors re hang them and sort their other problems at our cost even though the main building contractor knew it wasn't our fault
mystra Posted - 15/04/2012 : 13:06:07
managed to improve the look of the bare seams on the panels with the use of a black wipe-board marker.... the black stays on the bare wood bits and wipes off the laminate bits so it doesn't look like their black lines over the top of them

Next job is the sort out getting the bits of sealant that are everywhere thanks to my stinky fingers!

Even just sorting out the seams that way made it look so much less tatty.... why couldn't they just use decent stuff in the first!
mystra Posted - 15/04/2012 : 12:53:49
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

quote:
Originally posted by mystra

quote:

turns out it is the same company the gf was talking to.

did you ask for them to be flat packed as when the gf was talking to them they said all their vivs were delivered assembled. we said the 4L x 3H x 2D would have to be flat packed as its going up stairs and assembled it wouldn't go over the hand rail. they said that wouldn't be a problem as if they need to be delivered flat they would assemble on site.

thank you for sending me the link, we shall avoid them. its a shame that i found out from your misfortune.

personally i think they should be named and shamed

that's weird, mine were delivered flat packed... i have no idea how they could 'assemble on site' as they are delivered by APC couriers, unless that's changed!

maybe they have changed that. after a couple of e mails to them asking about prices, if they could build them to what we wanted they said all the right things and even that they deliver on saturdays as we said we both work. we were thinking about having some delivered while we were of but as there was no rush decided to wait and we could have them at a later date on a saturday. they did reply saying they were down or way delivering while we were off but we didn't reply as there was no rush on our part. glad we didn't in the end

yeah they seem great when you are enquiring and want to order etc, then they drop off the face of the earth once you've ordered!

He vanishes, the only person i'd ever get hold of was his wife who i assume runs some sort of childcare at their house (from what she said) so obviously she was busy doing her job, so can't exactly do all the running around but seemed to do enough to avoid actually getting her husband involved.... really very odd looking back!

Very tempting to name and shame but i don't want to risk getting the forum into trouble.
blackskull Posted - 15/04/2012 : 12:42:50
quote:

quote:

did you ask for them to be flat packed as when the gf was talking to them they said all their vivs were delivered assembled. we said the 4L x 3H x 2D would have to be flat packed as its going up stairs and assembled it wouldn't go over the hand rail. they said that wouldn't be a problem as if they need to be delivered flat they would assemble on site.

thank you for sending me the link, we shall avoid them. its a shame that i found out from your misfortune.

that's weird, mine were delivered flat packed... i have no idea how they could 'assemble on site' as they are delivered by APC couriers, unless that's changed!

maybe they have changed that. after a couple of e mails to them asking about prices, if they could build them to what we wanted they said all the right things and even that they deliver on saturdays as we said we both work. we were thinking about having some delivered while we were of but as there was no rush decided to wait and we could have them at a later date on a saturday. they did reply saying they were down or way delivering while we were off but we didn't reply as there was no rush on our part. glad we didn't in the end
mystra Posted - 15/04/2012 : 12:32:51
quote:

blackskull Posted - 15/04/2012 : 12:24:48

n/a Posted - 15/04/2012 : 11:47:37
Well, if that isn't corns for you!

Why do we love' em eh??
mystra Posted - 15/04/2012 : 11:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by Meadow

How annoying

I think, even if you think you don't have rights due to the time it's taken you to assemble the viv, I would still be inclined to write to the company and tell them how unhappy you are with the work they have done. List all the problems, including the lack of communication and just end it by telling them you're very disappointed and you won't be using them again, and unfortunately will not be able to recommend them to friends. That's a LOT of free 'word of mouth' advertising they've lost.

Ah, I just saw you bought three from the guy. I'd definitely send the third one back, and send pics of the other two.

Hope you get some kind of recompense.

yeah would defo be worth letting him know what a disappointment the vivs have been and get rid of the third lol

Sanchez made his feelings known last night by disappearing behind a row of three heavy bookshelves at the speedy of light when i had him out for walkies last night. He came out the other end with his tail in the 'pooping' position... i thought he was about to poo but he never did and the smell this morning says he's taken a dirty protest behind the shelves which are very hard work to move!!
Meadow Posted - 15/04/2012 : 09:49:04
How annoying

I think, even if you think you don't have rights due to the time it's taken you to assemble the viv, I would still be inclined to write to the company and tell them how unhappy you are with the work they have done. List all the problems, including the lack of communication and just end it by telling them you're very disappointed and you won't be using them again, and unfortunately will not be able to recommend them to friends. That's a LOT of free 'word of mouth' advertising they've lost.

Ah, I just saw you bought three from the guy. I'd definitely send the third one back, and send pics of the other two.

Hope you get some kind of recompense.
blackskull Posted - 15/04/2012 : 07:51:03

[/quote]

ah, it was via the email button on here...i've heard it's not the best... let me know your email on here maybe (put spaces or something in so spam bots cant get it) and i'll drop you a message :)
[/quote]

yeah if i remember right i don't think it works.

its robdoran at tiscali dot co dot uk

just want to check its not the same company the other half talking too, but to be honest im thinking of sticking with vivexotic as the vivs we want aren't an odd size and im happy with the vivexotic even if its a bit more money
mystra Posted - 15/04/2012 : 00:25:42
quote:

quote:

quote:

sorry to hear you had trouble with the company you chose, i don't understand how companies don't provide some sort of customer support. being a skilled worker who takes pride in my work i don't see how people are happy with doing a rubbish job. we will even go out to a client to sort even the smallest problem (not that we have many probs lol).

would you be able to tell me the company name by e-mail? i ask as the gf is talking to a company that make custom vivs ( oddly enough they are cheaper than the viv exotic) but due to the fact that they are cheaper makes me wonder if they will be any good

Have emailed you :)

thanks, not got it yet

ah, it was via the email button on here...i've heard it's not the best... let me know your email on here maybe (put spaces or something in so spam bots cant get it) and i'll drop you a message :)
blackskull Posted - 14/04/2012 : 22:45:17
quote:

quote:

sorry to hear you had trouble with the company you chose, i don't understand how companies don't provide some sort of customer support. being a skilled worker who takes pride in my work i don't see how people are happy with doing a rubbish job. we will even go out to a client to sort even the smallest problem (not that we have many probs lol).

would you be able to tell me the company name by e-mail? i ask as the gf is talking to a company that make custom vivs ( oddly enough they are cheaper than the viv exotic) but due to the fact that they are cheaper makes me wonder if they will be any good

thanks, not got it yet
mystra Posted - 14/04/2012 : 22:41:15
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Don't settle for shoddy work, if you have not received what you ordered then they have failed in their duty and this is a breach of the sales of goods act. Don't give up, put it in writing, send it recorded delivery and mention the sales of good act. Some companies just expect you to give up when you dont they have no choice but to put it right or give you your money back. Simnples

I know, you're right but i don't know what rights i have at this point... just feels easier to make do with what i have now, i really need to sort out the one for Betty ASAP as she's had a huge growth spurt and is ridiculously active and defo needs a bigger space than a rub :(

But yes, unless someone does something then it will go on forever to others. Even if he offered to send me some extra bits to create the top lips and smaller glass to fit i'd appreciate it.

Don't think i'd be able to send them back lol, ones built, ones un-packed... i guess i could send the 3rd one lol...
blackskull Posted - 14/04/2012 : 22:41:11
you wont be able to get the glass re cut, im guessing its toughened, well it should be. toughened glass is cut to size first then put through the toughening process. if you try to cut it it will shatter. sorry to give you the bad news.

im with lotabob, if its not to your specifications that you ordered and that they said they would do then it is their fault
mystra Posted - 14/04/2012 : 22:36:16
quote:

mystra Posted - 14/04/2012 : 22:34:07
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Oh no! That is really shocking! Don't know how an idiot like that has the nerve to set up in business or sell such rubbish - doesn't he realise that reputation depends on word of mouth and he's not going to get very far if this is his typical handiwork.

I do hate it when con merchants like this take people's hard-earned money and abuse their trust into the bargain.

You have all my sympathy, don't blame you for having a grump - it leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you've spent so much time planning and choosing and it ends up like this.

i know, i mean my Mum's boyfriend offered to make my vivs for the cost of materials, he'd had done an amazing job (he's not a carpenter by trade but seems to have the knack!) but it would have been a pain to get them down from Stoke to London and this joker puts out stuff like this!

He was fairly new and the pictures of his handiwork looks very good, and the more images he adds on his site, it all looks great so i don't know why i've got such a shonky lot! i should have just been quicker to assemble it, but with all the fish business and other things i've just been very slow :( especially as i was experimenting with the background and sealing it etc. I don't think i have much in the way of rights after all that time. :(

i'm going to see if i can find some matching wood to create the top 'lip' as it looks so weird! i'll have to get someone to cut the glass down to size. Even the glass, it's filthy and got loads of marks on it even thought i only unpacked it tonight. So annoyed!
Lotabob Posted - 14/04/2012 : 17:53:33
Don't settle for shoddy work, if you have not received what you ordered then they have failed in their duty and this is a breach of the sales of goods act. Don't give up, put it in writing, send it recorded delivery and mention the sales of good act. Some companies just expect you to give up when you dont they have no choice but to put it right or give you your money back. Simnples
blackskull Posted - 14/04/2012 : 17:08:02

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000