The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Note to self:

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Se7enS1ns Posted - 16/04/2012 : 00:10:16
Do not handle your male immediately after feeding your female.

Ifrit is my very grumpy male Fire, he is really aggressive - not particularly with me, he hisses but has never struck at me, but he does "fight" me quite a lot, and by that I mean when I go to pick him up, he'll push back against me, or even coil around my wrist and give me a good squeeze. If when yopu've got him out for a play and he decides that he wants to head in a certain direction, and you go to stop him or turn him around, he'll let rip with a short sharp bark type hiss. I think he's grumpy as he's up to breeding weight (800grams) but has no girlfriend - Monty is too little - so I think the frustration is showing a little.

So it was Montys feed day today, but not Ifrits, so once Monty had finished and I'd put her back for the night, I decided to have Ifrit out for a check over and play - but I think the sweet aroma of female combined with freshly thawed rat was a little much for him tonight, he was a lot more aggressive than usual and was really showing off his strength - lots of fighting with me, but very little hissing. I went to put him back after 10 minutes or so, and he just would NOT go back in his viv! Every time I turned him around to head inwards, he'd turn around and climb back towards me and up my arm / around my neck. I'd put this down to affection, but I know full well he doesn't like me very much - so I'm not fooling for that one

It took me a good ten minutes more just to get him in far enough and then get my arm free of him to be able to slide the glass closed!! Lesson learned, I think.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Se7enS1ns Posted - 16/04/2012 : 18:29:31
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

He sounds quite a one lol!

He's certainly got a teenage attitude to him, that for sure! I find the difference in personalities between him and Monty to be remarkable, it's like two different species!

I definitely think the presence of a female is picked up on by the males, the room I keep my pair in is fairly large as it's actually the dining room, and they are kept at opposite ends of the room - but he seems to know. Hopefully he'll calm down as the months roll on - he's no trouble as such, he's just a bit of a handful when out for walks. I should be picking up a mate for him later this year, so maybe he'll get the chance to get it out of his system... as it were...
n/a Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:23:35
He sounds quite a one lol!

I've often wondered just how much the presence of a female affects a male. Can he sense or smell her nearby and how much does it affect him?

When Shahi was about 6 months old I bought Saada, an older female. It was November, and it may have been coincidence, but he started to miss the odd meal and eventually fasted, which I hadn't been expecting in such a young male (though I should have realised he was old enough to have the mating urge.) I think Saada was in a separate room at this point.

I'd discussed the feasibility of housing male and females (in separate enclosures of course)in a viv stack or rub rack and had been told that this didn't seem to affect them, but when I did this with Shahi, Saada and Surahi, it resulted in Shahi (again in mating season after a period of restlessness) apparently forcing a wedged door open (or my carelessness in leaving a tiny gap, though I'm fussy about checking doors) and climbing UP the stack to Surahi's viv, where I found him in the early hours, fortunately.

After that I rehoused him in a viv away from the stack and he settled down straight away.

I personally feel that they're not daft - they know all right lol.

Hope you find your lad a mate soon and give him the chance to erm, exercise his prerogative!
Lotabob Posted - 16/04/2012 : 00:17:44
haha it can be a wrestle with a stubborn Royal, Duke (1.3kg) can't half give me a run for my money and he knows that if he makes himself long and stretched out I cant get him back in.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000