The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 BOA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 19/04/2012 : 19:50:09
been wanting one for a while an after seeing/holding a few recently ive decided that my next snake is going to be a boa.
need to re-arrange the snake room a bit so the viv/rub is on the other side of the room for quarrantine purposes ect and to see how many pennies ive got after paying my bills an stuff then to see whats about
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 22/04/2012 : 22:53:12
have handled 2 10-12ft burms and a big adult common boa, the boa was definatly the stronger one. was crushing the sides of my neck by just holding on
Lotabob Posted - 22/04/2012 : 22:44:18
Haha they are a wrestling match alright, my Sanke is only 4 foot and she is incredibly strong, I dread to think what a fully grown 'proper' Boa is capable, I've felt the strength of a Burm and that was impressive but I hear Boas are stronger pound for pound.
chrisc Posted - 22/04/2012 : 17:00:41
yes it should be interesting.
amazed at how strong he is was a struggle to get him off my waist an to stop him getting to near my face
n/a Posted - 22/04/2012 : 13:22:38
So he's a bit of an asboa lol? Sounds a nice challenge, cool, hope you get him soon.
chrisc Posted - 21/04/2012 : 18:00:05
have found a boa that has been with my mate in his rescue center/house for the last 2 years. got to sort him a viv out come payday.
hes a common boa and about 6ft maybe a bit more.
hes quite a handfull and a bit nervous an feisty, should be fun
n/a Posted - 21/04/2012 : 12:41:39
Yes indeed - and sensible too; it IS (mercifully)rare and IBD-like symptoms can have other causes. Plenty of info there, and about quarantining too - quarantine rules are just commonsense really but haven't come across a proper guide before.

It's just one of those wise precautions, I think, to quarantine a boa, or a snake who has been kept in the same room as boas, away from royals or indeed any python. Great relief when that three months is up though.
chrisc Posted - 20/04/2012 : 17:51:43
found this
http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases/Inclusion_Body_Disease
a ver interesting read
Kelfezond Posted - 20/04/2012 : 10:40:20
Just explain it's only temporary until quarantine is over.
chrisc Posted - 20/04/2012 : 06:00:57
have a real soft spot for boas an love how enquisitive they are.
did read up a lot on IBD a while back so understand it is best to quarantine in a separate room even though IBD is not that common.
im hoping to get a boa from the local rescue center or from a couple of friends who have quite a few snakes. i know that they quarantine any new animals they get separate from the rest of their collection.
but i wont get one from an unknown source or do anything to risk the health of my royals.
problem i might have is persuading the parents to let me have a viv/rub in another room
Lotabob Posted - 19/04/2012 : 23:52:26
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I'd really recommend quarantining a boa in a different room from your royals. IBD is rare but it would be tragic if it affected your two.

I would absolutely agree with this. I didn't know anything about IBD when I got my Boa and quarantined her in the same room and after reading all about IBD I cant believe how lucky I was and it was a massive risk. IBD makes Boas ill and eventually its fatal, in Royals it rips through them in weeks and kills them in such a horrible and painful way for the Royal and for you.

I also absolutely agree with you getting a Boa, they are awesome snakes, so curious about everything and so clever.
n/a Posted - 19/04/2012 : 21:11:59
Sounds great, and I'm so jealous as I haven't the strength to control a big snake - BUT.

Don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but I'd really recommend quarantining a boa in a different room from your royals. IBD is rare but it would be tragic if it affected your two. I understand colubrids aren't affected - if your family can't stomach a boa but could tolerate the royals in say the living room, then maybe you could have the boa in your room until the quarantine period's over. Three months - not long. Sulah my carpet came from a seller who had her in the same room as boas, so I did the full quarantine thing - and it's passed really quickly.

Hope you get your boa - good luck!
Kelfezond Posted - 19/04/2012 : 21:02:53
Great snakes, i love my big girl but they are so much more work than royals, theres no such thing as a 'quick hold' when you have to do an 8 minute battle getting her in and out of the viv lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000