The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 first proper bite

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 02/05/2012 : 21:57:37
not a royal but a slightly mental 2ft is jungle corn.
10 minutes under water to get him off
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 07/05/2012 : 18:02:56
I just ran the water over Shahi's head and into his mouth. He let go of me very soon and got a lot of cuddles and love. It was all I could do; I was on my own. If I'd 'sat it out', quite apart from the pain I was experiencing, he might have taken my whole finger down his throat and spent an unpleasant time gripping prey he couldn't swallow and then regurging. He ate his rat straight after - can't have been that stressed.
Lotabob Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:47:29
I wouldn't recommend trying to drown them/simulate drowning to get them to let go, lol. They can hold their breath for a very long time even underwater and will continue with a feeding response even when submerged. Snake bytes recommend a splash of listerine and I'm guessing the alcohol gel has the same effect, they don't have a sense of taste so it must be about being strong smelling and getting the fumes straight into the jacobs organ. I think if one ever gets me I'll just sit it out unless its really determined to make me bleed to death, then it will feel the wrath of my bathroom cabinets minty freshness in a bottle.
n/a Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:24:24
You might have to if both hands are manacled so you can't use them to operate spray or open gel bottle; I had to turn the tap on with my elbow.
GMac Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:11:59
i use a dab of alcohol gel near the nose works ideal for this or a spray of water from a spray can, havent had to go to running water :D
Lotabob Posted - 07/05/2012 : 16:08:51
I've been savages by a house snake, lol. I didn't even notice if I hadn't have seen it happen. Hal is only 9 grams though. Duke has almost got me once and Sanke has almost got me loads of times. Bites are rare though but inevitable when surrounded by snakes. Even my squishy gecko has bit me, that was funny.
acd1984 Posted - 07/05/2012 : 15:29:51
On snake bytes, Brian said to use Listerine mouth wash as it's safe and the snake releases instantly
ppl_clectr Posted - 05/05/2012 : 01:39:35
I was struck and bit by a Kingsnake, it was like getting a static electricity shock off of a plastic chair, and she was about 4 feet long, too. It bled quite a bit, but barely left any marks.
n/a Posted - 03/05/2012 : 12:22:41
quote:
Originally posted by MarknSarah

I must admit iam really worried about being bit now, iam a wimp lol does it hurt that much?.i have been bit by one of my dragons and a african grey parrot and they hurt just abit is it harder than that??

Usually it's a case of 'blink and you've missed it' - I've been nipped a few times by corns and my gopher and you sort of do a double take and then think - oooo I got BIT! Try pinching yourself quickly with sharp fingernails and that's the pain level - nothing. Often all you feel is a velcro-like brush of teeth.

With Shahi there was no time to think - just rushed into the bathroom, apologising to him profusely after the initial bad language lol. It was a case of going 'ow!' and then acting, and it didn't hurt after I'd got him to let go.

But honestly a royal is a snake least likely to bite you.
ajokocha Posted - 03/05/2012 : 12:12:32
Lol it looks like he was really going to town on your finger!
chrisc Posted - 03/05/2012 : 12:02:55
the bite from that jungle corn was not that painfull more very sharp an scratchy as he was trying his hardest to chew through my finger. that was sunday an theres hardly a mark left now
ajokocha Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:55:02
I need to get bit! I'm so curious to find out what it feels like lol. And awesome banner kelf :D
Kelfezond Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:52:54
quote:

What do you do if a python bites you?

Same thing you do when a boa bites you;
This.

MarknSarah Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:51:39
I must admit iam really worried about being bit now, iam a wimp lol does it hurt that much?.i have been bit by one of my dragons and a african grey parrot and they hurt just abit is it harder than that??
n/a Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by Se7enS1ns

Then squeeze as much blood out of the "wound" as possible to make it look really really bad, and take another pic!

Ooo never thought of that! Though there was enough gore with my Shahi-bite.

In fact though, they actually do very little damage - I'm assuming that their teeth are so sharp, a lot of capillaries get ruptured, hence all the gore, but really you get left with just a couple of scratches.

In truth I've had far more painful cat bites (used to have a feral staying with me who'd bite me if I looked at him wrong and Molly the new cat is a bit bitey but she's growing out of that.)
MarknSarah Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:09:51
haha thats funny
Se7enS1ns Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:07:25
Then squeeze as much blood out of the "wound" as possible to make it look really really bad, and take another pic!
chrisc Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:05:49
yes if theres no pic it didnt happen.
run their head underwater
n/a Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:04:57
quote:

What do you do if a python bites you?

I've only ever had one painful bite from a snake (I don't count the odd nip or headbutt from a colubrid) and that was from one of my male royals, Shahi. I did the same as Chris and got to the tap fast with him -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6551&SearchTerms=gore+galore

In this instance the bite was all my fault, he is a big gentle lump and he honestly thought that he was being a good lad and grabbing his rat. Imo feeding response is the commonest cause of a bite from a royal. And yeah, had to take pics lol.
MarknSarah Posted - 03/05/2012 : 10:53:29
lol....got to share it havent you :D
Se7enS1ns Posted - 03/05/2012 : 10:38:29
Take a pic, obviously!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000