The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
linkroyal Posted - 07/05/2012 : 22:44:05
my royal has little black bugs on him around his nose what do i do
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 08/05/2012 : 08:18:29
When I noticed, or rather hubby did as he found a couple on his hand lol I called my vet for advice..and here is what he said to do:

To throw out any bark as it harbours mites, to plunge the faun in a bleach solution..or if a viv thoroughly disinfect. Rinse with water, dry then spray with frontline.

Then all I had to do was dampen cotton wool with Frontline and carefully wipe it down the snake's body..avoiding the head and eyes.

I repeated this once a week, it worked 100% and none seen since. It was real easy to do :)
reptiledanny Posted - 08/05/2012 : 07:40:33
Like everyone else has said sounds like mites.
This is the way I treated my girl last year when she came down with mites. It is a non-chemuical method which is always a bonus in my books, and is something you usually have in your house anyway.
The olive oil treatment:
All I did was bath the snake twice a day (morning and night) for the first week. This gets rid of any dead mites, or any unfortunate ones that can't hold on. Usually I left her in their for a good 10 minutes. After that take her out and with a towel just wipe her down. Again this will get any mites that aren't holding on strongly. Then rub your hands with olive oil so you have a good layer, and then starting from the head wipe down the snakes body. The olive oil will act as a sheild against air to the mites and will sufocate them. Make sure the cage that they are in is thouroughly cleaned and disenfected. I soacked all her hides in a bath of 10% bleach solution, and then put them in a bath of olive oil to coat them. Only a hide and water was then placed back in her rub with paper towel as substrate. This was its easy to get rid of and you can see any mites.
I did the bathing twice a day, and then the olive oil treatment once a day usually after the night bath.
The one downside to this method (well there's 2) is 1. You have to do it every day and 2. It causes them to have a messy shed the next time they do shed. But to me these were only minor downsides to not having to treat her with chemicals throughout the whole process.
This is the way I did it, and is the way I will always do it if (touch wood) I ever get them again. Hope this helps
Kelfezond Posted - 07/05/2012 : 23:22:53
These might help, little busy but they are stickied in the health section.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3018
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1320
linkroyal Posted - 07/05/2012 : 23:15:49
cheers mate is it anything to worry about
frambo Posted - 07/05/2012 : 23:10:35
Sounds like mites... going to bed now but if no one on here has posted the relevant information I'll see if I can dig it out in the morning. It's like ticks for royals

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000