The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Store Dissed Heat Mats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 22/05/2012 : 08:45:46
I called a well known online rep store yesterday for advice as to which bulb guard. I mentioned Ra and my problems, gave info on my set up and he went on to totally about diss heat mats.

He said they are like an electric blanket, that only warm the matress, not the bed or duvet. He said they don't heat the ambient temp.so the cool end only reaches room temperature useless for humidity. Then he said to throw them out lol

I don't agree with all of what he said, but true they are pretty useless for humidity.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 22/05/2012 : 18:29:19
ooOO thanks Chris :) He did scare the hell out of me last night with his gaping mouth..then he did something..not sure what exactly..maybe the clicking sounds, but I squealed and dropped him..thankfully he was only a few inches off the bed, he was fine after a quick cuddle then back in the faun.

I bet you were worried when Spot managed that feat Rob..I know I would be.
chrisc Posted - 22/05/2012 : 18:23:25
melkor sounds good aswell.
jeff have been in a viv with a heatmat since ive had him an been fine apart from when i had the stat probes on the wall an not the mat(newbie mistake) an caused him to get an RI when in first had him
yea ra would be better in a viv as he needs slightly higher humidity.
a friend has 2 adult beauty snakes in vivs, i will quiz him about his setups ect when i see him for you.
Lotabob Posted - 22/05/2012 : 18:20:20

One of Spot's favourite places to hide, well I say hide, he was in plain view but I couldn't get to him and he knew it.
JanieW Posted - 22/05/2012 : 18:17:05
Satan is good :) or the Tolkien version Melkor lol

I think most snakes are fine with heat mats..its Ra, being a Beauty Snake I read that they need 80% humidity and he really did have a lousy shed, still i'm sure he hasn't lost his hood, 4.30 tomorrow he has a vet appoint.

Slinky is still on a mat and he sheds perfectly, as did Fea when he was in the faun with a mat.
chrisc Posted - 22/05/2012 : 18:09:56
the faun will be fine for the hoggy( can i suggest satan for his name?) chuck is happy as in his rub setup.

i have 2 vivs with heatmats in them an have no problems with heat/humidity ect.
a friend of mine uses large heatmats attached to the back wall to heat a lot of his vivs and have no problems with temps/humidity. all the snakes feed an shed ect with no problems
JanieW Posted - 22/05/2012 : 16:42:29
:) I have am waiting for a 2' viv, 150w ceramic, mesh guard to arrive. Its for a hoggie but for now Ra would be better in it I think. I can't afford his adult viv yet..it'll be the guts of £300 so it'll wait lol

I know heat mats can be frowned on, but his attitute took me back.
n/a Posted - 22/05/2012 : 11:47:51
Hi, Janie, I've never come across a bulb guard that I'd feel was safe to use with a tiny colubrid (I may be wrong of course.) I don't care much for heatmats myself but atm I'd say it's your only option. I know someone on here had a tragic experience with a small colubrid who got into the bulb guard. I have my smallest corn (the one-time wonky eater, Cy, in a viv with a heatmat, and she's fine and sheds well. The mat's just a pain to keep clean, that's all.

However, you could setup Ra's future viv and put his faun or a rub and heatmat in there; the viv would keep in the heat more reliably, although I know your house is warm and the better weather (lol!) is supposed to be coming.
hodgie Posted - 22/05/2012 : 09:08:55
Not absolutely true, i have all mine (and i have quite a few now) in a home made rack system using heat mats and rubs, my temps are spot on and none of my royals have any trouble shedding, compare that to vivs with bulbs and the amount of people that need to use moss boxs, wet flannels etc and you should be able to judge whats right or wrong with his comments. What needs to be stated though is that if you have a system that works for you and your happy with it then that is more important. I`ve kept quite a few Royals in vivs with heat mats, my partners little boy has one in his bedroom at the moment with his little 250g female albino shes doing fine although he does know that she`ll go into the rack system when she`s about 650-700g.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000