The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Best tool for stripping bark?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jayde Posted - 29/05/2012 : 09:42:20
So as I've got some time off, I though I'd better use it constructively and get a move on with the things for the new vivs. I've already chopped the branches I want, but not really sure which tools will be best to strip the bark off successfully without risking takin massive chunks out of them.
What have other people used to de-bark their branches without taking fingers off? (I'm a pretty savvy person when working with things, but do sometimes learn the painful way!!)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 31/05/2012 : 16:04:08
they would be fine to soak in a bleach solution like you would with branches. iv done it with my cork bark pieces before, you just need to make sure you thoroughly dry them as they tend to absorb a bit of water to being bark.
Lincsfox Posted - 31/05/2012 : 15:27:51
if they're small enough to go in the oven stick them in for a couple of hours on about 200c
Jayde Posted - 31/05/2012 : 14:48:49
Thought I'd just chuck this in this thread to save starting another short thread.
Bought a few logs today, and when I was sifting through them at the shop the were crawling with all sorts, and filled with a rather large amount of dirt and dust.
They aren't particularly strong (like a hollowed out trunk log) more a soft bark log.
So I'm wondering, to get rid of any nasties that may be lurking on them, would they be alright to soak in bleach like the branches, or should I use another method? My gut thought is that as it's a softer bark, that it would crumble?

(Excuse Nessie in the background, she was doing her thorough interrigation of new objects in the house!)
reptiledanny Posted - 30/05/2012 : 17:53:20
I used a potato peeler to get mine off and it worked a treat
jhk2005 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:52:50
depending on how this the bark is you could cut small sections out with a small hacksaw and then strip it by hand - a screwdriver is useful to lever a handhold in the grooves you cut until you can get a good grip :)
Lotabob Posted - 29/05/2012 : 20:10:23
I used the blade out of a blunt plane and then got to the tougher stuff with a stanley knife. Its easier to take the bark off when its still alive, once it dries out its a right pain, unless its loose bark and breaks off easily.
chrisc Posted - 29/05/2012 : 16:28:17
i strip bark off with a bushcraft type knife then go over it with sandpaper

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000