The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 the house hunt begins.... aarrghh!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 30/05/2012 : 09:56:29
Me and the boyfriend have finally properly kicked int he search for our next flat, still renting... fun!

Obviously we need somewhere that allows our snakes, and we also want somewhere we can have a cat.

Last night we looked round the perfect flat, on budget and lovely little patio out back, near a lovely park... ideal.

Asked the million dollar question.... would pets be allowed.. specifically our 3 snakes, and that we wanted to get a cat.

The estate agent rang up the landlord. Big fat no!

We were asked how big the snakes were, what they lived in... apparently 4-5ft is huge in their eyes and it was a bit fat no (snakes are just length and not much else really lol) and we were no way allowed to get a cat.

Gutted as it was lovely and we both wanted to jump on it there and then, but the search goes on.

I can understand not every landlord is happy with cats in their houses, in the same way as dogs. But 3 snakes kept in vivs being a problem is a joke!

Either way i wish landlords would just keep their beaks out sometimes. If you don't like what people do in your house, don't rent it out! They should be little more flexible, it would encourage people to be responsible and not sneak pets in (and then rehome them once they get found out to any old home on Gumtree etc). Trouble is there will always be people who shut up their dog all day and let it ruin the place and don't clean up afterwards... guess you can't win :(

The good news is I'm seeing another flat tomorrow and have been warned (lol) that the tenant has a large dog... so i'm sure a few snakes and cat will be fine there!

I hate moving house!!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxysausage Posted - 06/06/2012 : 09:20:21
Hope you find somewhere soon, i know how stressful it can be. My wife and I were looking for two years before we found out place, we went down both renting and buying route and ended up buying. Some of our friends are now renting and it makes a heck of a difference having a good landlord. Bonus for them is they get all maintenance done whereas I am stuck doing it all myself on a property that's going to take me a good few years to sort out. That being said, I've turned it round amazingly over the seven months we have been here.

Having someone you can approach personally and explain your situation to is great, some prefer pet owners because caring for an animal shows responsibility. If you can argue your case then you should be in without issue. I do wonder whether the pets thing can also be an insurance thing. Landlords have to have a special type of property insurance and some will refuse blindly if their policies don't cover pets and pet damages. If you have your own Pet insurance, that also helps landlords as the buck stops with you.

It's a hard thing sometimes but keep at it and don't settle til you're 100% happy. Sometimes the perfect place for you just drops into your lap when you least expect it.

Good luck and I do hope you are homed with your three snakes and a little kitty soon :)
hodgie Posted - 02/06/2012 : 19:21:07
Thanks, thought i was right.
n/a Posted - 02/06/2012 : 17:11:31
Good point.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/landlords-right-of-entry/
hodgie Posted - 02/06/2012 : 16:51:41
I was under the impression that when you rent a property the landlord/owner no longer has a right of entry, in effect it becomes your property, this is why you cant be evicted without a court order. I can understand cats and dogs but as stated above snakes arent going to cause any damage. Worth checking with citizens advice on a landlords right to entry though.
mattc142 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 15:37:27
Hey guys, been reading through the posts, i have rented property nearly all my life, the thing i have done is just not told them, at the end of the day they will not destroy the house with biting or scratching like cats and dogs and they dont smell and dont spread decease. but its up to you if you want to be honest with them.and it all depends if they are going to do inspections, its always worked for me. i love my snakes too much to get rid for anyone lol.if you have got them in RUBs then they will be easy to hide lol i used to put them under the bed for ten mins whilst they looked round cus thats all their aloud to do is look.lol yes some of you may think im bad for doing this but like you said people are small minded when it comes to snakes they dont understand how docile and calm they are. i wish you luck finding a good home for your selves and your pets
n/a Posted - 02/06/2012 : 13:39:27
Any more news, Mystra? Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
blackskull Posted - 30/05/2012 : 17:51:08
i never told my old land lady that i kept snakes, but then i never had inspections as it wasn't through an agency. she only knew after i gave my notice and an agent came round to look so they could market it.
mystra Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:41:31
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yup, couldn't agree more. Dogs can be lovely in good hands, but with bad owners they are nothing but a pest that barks at one end and excretes at the other so you would think a landlord would welcome tenants with pets that stay in their own enclosures, make no noise or smell (well only occasionally) and won't wreck the place. And a well-conducted cat ought to be no trouble either.

That is SUCH a pity about that flat! Hope something even better turns up soon though.

This time, why not just ask if you can bring your own carpets? And is the master bedroom big enough for your collection of garters? Lol.

joking apart, do hope you get settled soon, and that you get your cat as well. Fingers crossed and best of luck!

haha collection of garters XD you do make me chuckle BATS!

I can't wait to get a cat. We plan on getting an old grumbly rescue cat in need of comfy retirement home. I've been obsessing with Battersea's Facebook page where they post pics of who needs a home and there some lovely gruffly oldies there! I can't wait!

I looked at another flat last night that was fine for us to have a cat (there was a catflap in the kitchen door), but it was in a very rough area and the flat needed more than a lick of paint and a clean. At least if you buy a house in a state you can do it up, but renting you expect the house to be in a livable state, and there was damp in the bedroom!

Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow's viewing, if it's crap i'll at least enjoy the company of a big dog haha!
mystra Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:37:09
quote:
Originally posted by ajokocha

Me and my girlfriend are going to start renting soon. I guessed having snakes may be a stumbling block for some places, just unfortunate it was one that you really liked! 4-5 ft, huge?! Some people are just ignorant aren't they? Others just pure petrified which can't be helped. Couldn't agree more though about them keeping their beaks out! Good luck with your next viewing

thanks! I just think fair enough the landlord has a phobia, but it's not like he lives there, it's so silly... people should be allowed to make a house a home. Luckily our current one does, we've never met her, and deal with any problems through the estate agents... but sadly prices are going up in the area and we really would like some outside space.
n/a Posted - 30/05/2012 : 10:50:01
Yup, couldn't agree more. Dogs can be lovely in good hands, but with bad owners they are nothing but a pest that barks at one end and excretes at the other so you would think a landlord would welcome tenants with pets that stay in their own enclosures, make no noise or smell (well only occasionally) and won't wreck the place. And a well-conducted cat ought to be no trouble either.

That is SUCH a pity about that flat! Hope something even better turns up soon though.

This time, why not just ask if you can bring your own carpets? And is the master bedroom big enough for your collection of garters? Lol.

joking apart, do hope you get settled soon, and that you get your cat as well. Fingers crossed and best of luck!

ajokocha Posted - 30/05/2012 : 10:27:10
Me and my girlfriend are going to start renting soon. I guessed having snakes may be a stumbling block for some places, just unfortunate it was one that you really liked! 4-5 ft, huge?! Some people are just ignorant aren't they? Others just pure petrified which can't be helped. Couldn't agree more though about them keeping their beaks out! Good luck with your next viewing

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000