The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 strange ad..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matthewsaint Posted - 03/06/2012 : 00:12:36
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105536054/snakes-april-2012.html

being advertised on preloved - Royal Python Hett Spider x Pinstripe £100.00

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no het for spider or pin? they are dominant aren't they?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:01:56
quote:
Originally posted by carlb1981

There is such a thing as a hett spider according to the genetics thread in the breeding section i posted link to, but like i said it would still be a visual so 100 quid is fairly cheap an d if im correct a spider x pinstripe is a sinner morph. im waiting on a reply from seller for snakes age and if its a petshop or not. already found out its a male snake but found out yesterday that the Arlington branch of shop i bought Marty from burned down yesterday so hoping its not this place. was very sad news to hear of this tragedy they lost all there stock but a few reptiles were saved rip little ones

Oh no ...very very sorry to hear - every snake owner's nightmare.
Pythonwizard Posted - 04/06/2012 : 11:04:51
Kelf got video on genetics if your confused should check it out it helped me
matthewsaint Posted - 04/06/2012 : 11:00:29
that's awful!

good luck with the snake if your buying it, you'll have to let us know what it actually is haha :)
carlb1981 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 07:25:26
There is such a thing as a hett spider according to the genetics thread in the breeding section i posted link to, but like i said it would still be a visual so 100 quid is fairly cheap an d if im correct a spider x pinstripe is a sinner morph. im waiting on a reply from seller for snakes age and if its a petshop or not. already found out its a male snake but found out yesterday that the Arlington branch of shop i bought Marty from burned down yesterday so hoping its not this place. was very sad news to hear of this tragedy they lost all there stock but a few reptiles were saved rip little ones
matthewsaint Posted - 04/06/2012 : 02:35:21
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I thought that was right, so is this ad basicly scamming potential buyers do you think? or am I totally getting the wrong end of the stick.

Surely if there is no such thing as a het spider or het pin, they shouldn't be advertised?
frambo Posted - 03/06/2012 : 16:17:18
There are two basic types of alleles, dominant and recessive. There are also co-dominants etc but don't worry about those for now.

A Dominant Allele, usually written as a capital letter (for example H ) will always have its phenotype (characteristics- such as having a normal pattern) expressed.
A recessive Allele, usually written as a lower case letter (for example h) will always be dominated by the dominant allele.

So a Normal which is just a plain 'normal' normal will be let's say, NN.

A normal which is visually normal will start with N but it may be carrying an albino allele. As the 'normal' allele dominates the recessive allele we write it first. The albino allele will be a lowercase n as it is recessive. Therefore this snake will be Nn.

So how do we get a snake which is visually an albino. Well it needs to have both alleles as a recessive. Therefore two ns. i.e. nn

How do we get this?

It depends on the parents. Let us say we have one parent that is heterozygous albino. (this means it is an albino with two different alleles. if one is a normal allele we know it will dominate the recessive allele and the parent will be visually a normal royal but carrying an albino allele. Thus, Nn.

If the other parent is visually an albino we know the only way this can happen is if there are two albino alleles which is going to be nn.

Now, to get the genotypes of the off spring we must use a punnett square. It's quite simple really. Between the two parents we have one N, and three ns.

In the diagram below, imagine the Ys are Ns and the ys are ns.

As we know, anytime an N is crossed with a n it will always end up as Nn (heterozygous recessive for n (albino).

Thus we can see from the diagram that even though there is one N in the mix, in all likelihood only half will be nn which means only half will be albinos. However, as there is only one N in the mix there is no way you could get a NN and therefore every snake will be carrying at least one n allele.

Now we know that an albino is nn, what happens if we cross 2 albinos? Well that will be a nn crossing with another nn and therefore four ns in the mix.

As there are only ns, the result can only be nn... resulting in nothing but albinos!

Similarly, if you cross a NN with a nn we know that each offspring will have at least one N and that's all it takes for the recessive n to be dominated. Therefore all the off spring will be visually normal but carrying an albino gene.

If you were to mate these offspring Nn, with an albino, nn you would be likely to get 50% albino and 50% normal.

As I said before, these are the absolute basics of it, I have an exam in this sort of stuff next week so this was part revision for me lol.
Danno91 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:56:03
Ya that's what I ment spider het albino I got a bad habbit of putting the het gene in first.

The advert says het spider x pinstripe which when I fist looked at I believed them to be selling the offspring of a spider and pinstripe that is a visual pinstripe and is het spider. Which is not possible

Then I looked at the price and thought possible they are trying to sell a normal claiming its het spider and pinstripe to up the price this is also not possible

now with what's been said about them not saying what het it is is possible but since when have spiders and pinstripes been £100 especially if they carry a het gene

Something is not right anyway
Evolution Morphs Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:24:25
You can't get het spider albino

You can get spider (dominant gene) het albino
Put that to a normal het albino
For the chance to get a albino spider

Hidden is one way to describe it but people put het
Danno91 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:15:38
Ok in wrong but if I had a het albino spider surely the albino gene is not visible to us so its a hiden gene :)
carlb1981 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:13:56
I was going off this thread for genetics saying if it only has 1 gene its hett and its hom if it has 2 genes the same

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187
Evolution Morphs Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:35:59
Your wrong Lol ;)
het short for (heterogeneous) means its carrying a ressesive gene

Your right about the spider and pinstripe breeding though
Danno91 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:15:58
I thought het ment that it was a hidden gene
Spider x pinstripe should produce 1/4 normal 1/4 spider 1/4 pinstripe and 1/4 spinner
This combination is in my future breading plans so please tell me if in wrong
Evolution Morphs Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:06:42
Hets are ressesive genes like albino,pied,genetic stripe to name a few
When you put a normal to a albino
All your babies will come out normal
But they will all be 100% het for albino
Carrying the gene albino
So put 2 of the babies to each other you will get some visual albinos out of the clutch

Spider het ?
The add does not say what it's het for
matthewsaint Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:48:36
I don't really understand, how can they be het? I'm new to morphs so I'm not 100% sure on everything yet
Lotabob Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:40:57
Tell him when you see him that childrens pythons and spotted pythons are two different snakes lol.
carlb1981 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 07:41:21
They are dominant yes but they can still be hett but will be visual morphs I've emailed the add as its just up the road from me so interested in having a look

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000