The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 IR v ceramic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamieaisha1 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 01:20:55
i know this may causes a large discussion and i do apologise but what's better ir bulbs or ceramic, i know most of it may be down to personal opinion/experience but i would like to pick your brains anyway, thanks
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/06/2012 : 12:55:54
Yes - as above. I have one ceramic bulb as I got a pulse stat (which can't be used with IR as it would make the bulb flash incessantly) given with a secondhand viv. I switched Shadrach, who'd been in a viv with IR, to the viv with the ceramic and he's fine.

I actually like the IR light at night; I can see the clock and if I get up in the middle of the night I don't fall over cats. (Just as well as there are 9 vivs in my bedroom.) It's also cool to lie in bed and watch a rarely seen royal going about its business.

For some reason you need a ceramic of higher wattage than an IR for the same size viv ie for a 3' viv I use either a 150w ceramic or a 100w IR.

In my experience my snakes do just as well with either IR or ceramic, so it's down to personal choice.
Danno91 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 09:50:56
As said its personal choice I use ceramic and don't have any light source at all.
blackskull Posted - 04/06/2012 : 08:56:31
i wouldn't have thought so. i switched my adult male a couple of years ago and it didn't seem to bother him
jamieaisha1 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 08:53:31
thanks for the reply, do you know if it would bother the snake to much to switch from ir to ceramic
blackskull Posted - 04/06/2012 : 08:44:47
like you say i think its down to personal choice as both are just as good as each other.

personally i use ceramics in all mine as most of my snakes are in our bedroom and any light would drive me up the wall while i try to sleep. i also use energy saving bulbs in my vivs for the day/night cycle. i know people say royals don't like white light but i have always had a light in the vivs and it doesn't seem to bother mine, but i have hides and plenty of cover

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000