The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Sharif update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 18:40:44
He arrived on the 18th of May, a late cb11 spider morph - having never seen a young spider in person before I couldn't believe the bronzy colouring and incredible markings. He weighed just 83g - not a huge amount, and I couldn't be sure if this was an empty weight or not, as no records were sent with him, which surprised me, but, judging by his subsequent feeding behaviour, records are superfluous in his case (though I do keep them). It's true what they say about the spider feeding response. He eats!

The only feed he refused was offered while he was in shed. Plus I had to clean up a mess before feeding which I feared might have spooked him but no way could I leave it there. He wasn't enthusiastic, so I left the mouse in with him. The minute my back was turned he emerged, made another large mess on the mouse's tail, and returned to his cool hide where he used the mouse as a pillow. Yes, Sharif, I know you should be on rats, but no need to express your displeasure in quite that way ...Rats suitable to your tender months have been arranged, your royal highness!

His adult viv, with IR bulb, statted and guarded, awaits him but for now he's in a 2' viv, with 3 hides. The cool side window has a towel draped over it for dimness and privacy; the warm end has an aquarium plant mat propped over the hide, again for privacy and as I didn't want to put his water bowl on top of his (statted) mat, I upped humidity for his shed with the damp flannel method, spreading the flannel over the plant mat, which worked nicely; he shed well, apart from a retained tailtip. I bathed his tail in his water bowl and soon massaged the skin off.

And he took his third feed last Sunday, so today, after changing his water, I decided to have him out for five minutes. He's not shy. As I put his water bowl in, he shot back into his cool hide, zoomed round - and a moment later a curious little head poked out again and advanced, wobbling. Yes, he has the spider wobble, but only when he's interested in food, or me, and it's very slight.

So I picked him up and brought him out. He'd fled into his hide again, where I found another mess. Hmm, good idea to weigh him again?

I did - 113g. Again I've no idea if this is an empty weight, but not a bad gain in less than three weeks, in view of the 3 messes.

I think the lad's made a good start.

Thrilled with him!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/06/2012 : 14:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by frambo

Looks great! Out of interest what is this head wag you refer to?

Thanks, Frambo, yeah, he has only a slight wobble when he's interested, like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEIZS-eLLy8&feature=related

-but you can see the little guy gets his grub! Sharif sometimes strikes and misses - but he gets there in the end.

Now this is a bad spider wobble -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQmiywlaJk&feature=related

Heartbreaking to watch.

But yes, as others have said, the wobble seems to be something inherited from the original wild-caught spider and not a defect caused by 'designing' a morph. Don't know if I'd care to breed spiders, which might sound a bit hypocritical now I've bought one, but they are a beautiful animal, vigorous and good feeders.
reptiledanny Posted - 06/06/2012 : 14:01:47
quote:
Originally posted by frambo

Oh just saw it... yeah that's one of the reasons I'm not too keen on morphs... I always feel like we're interfering where we shouldn't be...

it depends what morph. most morphs that we have today have been found in the wild, ther enot due to us breeding for certain traits. the spider head wobble was originally found on the original spider morph that was found in the wild. no other spider morph has ever been found in the wild, therefor all the spiders available today have the head wobble to some degree.
frambo Posted - 06/06/2012 : 13:21:51
Oh just saw it... yeah that's one of the reasons I'm not too keen on morphs... I always feel like we're interfering where we shouldn't be...
Danno91 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 13:16:36
YouTube search royal python spider head wobble I would put up some links but in on 3g not WiFi
frambo Posted - 06/06/2012 : 12:50:11
Looks great! Out of interest what is this head wag you refer to?
n/a Posted - 06/06/2012 : 01:41:09
Thanks, Frambo - ah, sorry, I've only got two photos of him and they're not very good, but this is him when he first arrived -

It doesn't do him justice I'm afraid as my photography's lousy lol.
frambo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 22:19:57
Good news Bats, glad to hear it

PHOTOS!
n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:51:31
Thanks guys, yeah, Danno there are some spiders with a horrible wobble out there and it put me off for a long time too although the original morph was wild-caught and presumably healthy enough to survive in the wild, well they are good feeders; bit of a mystery really as to why it should arise in this particular morph and not other royals.

Sorry to hear one of yours refused, but I don't think the bloody nose would have made much difference; it happens sometimes when the freezing process bursts the blood vessels so the nose bleeds when the rodent's defrosted and I've always reckoned it makes the rodent smell better, if messier. Unless your royal's a bit squeamish lol. Hope the little guy feeds next time, fingers crossed.

Yup, thanks, D3l - I reckon he is, lol!
Evolution Morphs Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:25:01
So nice to read congrats
Looks like the little guys playing ball
Danno91 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:18:58
I really want a spider in my collection but the head wobble really puts me off.

I was surprised yesterday my best feeder wouldn't touch his rat, i think its cause there was blood coming out of the rats nose

n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:35:11
Thanks guys - yeah I have yet to fetch the rats owing to people's holidays (both local supplier and my lift) but hope to have them by mid-June so hopefully he'll accept a rat, the way he's feeding.

Always great to have a new snake feeding straight away; I had to assist Shahi and royals often need a while to settle in anyway, so very pleasantly surprised by Sharif - though he is a greedy spider of course lol.
Danno91 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:15:07
I bet you are he seems to be doing great
chrisc Posted - 05/06/2012 : 18:59:47
glad to hear he doing well an chomping down rats for you

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000