The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 king snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlb1981 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:02:27
What are kings like for feeding and temperament? Im thinking of getting a snake that is active through the day that could possibly recycle martys uneaten food once its bigger or any other suggestions nothing that would grow any bigger than 6-7ft
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carlb1981 Posted - 09/06/2012 : 17:34:04
Well i visited another reptile shop today not too far from where i live i never knew about and had a look at all the snakes he had in stock. he had a lovely collection of royals in so had a look at them 1st before the corns, there was a great bumble bee in a viv breeding with a pastel he said he's hoping for hatching off those two by December and he had another two i wasn't sure of the morphs one looked to be like a ghost or something similar colour it was crammed into its hide so couldn't tell for sure and the other a calico with white speckles up its sides and the royals for sale were very tempting if i had the money lol quick list here mojave,piebald,pastel,albino and a normal think there was one more but can't remember. so i was shown the corns i told him i liked the lighter coloured ones and he showed me some snows that he bred himself with possible het striped something not sure what and that he would do a deal with me for the snake and setup for £100 that included heatmat stat dual probe thermometer hide water bowl and substrate and the viv which im guessing is just a faun so couldn't resist that offer and will be going back next weekend to pick a snake. he did show me other corns that cost the same as the snow which was £60 but they couldn't be done with that offer one of which was a female granite ultramel and was gorgeous but feisty he said would be great for breeding but the offer with the snow swayed me so my next snake will be here next week can't wait :-)
Sorry for the long post it took ages on my phone lol
n/a Posted - 08/06/2012 : 17:39:22
I've had 3 snakes delivered from this shop -

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/livestock/snakes

They'r on the pricey side but their couriering costs aren't bad - £15.99 currently and the quality and health of their snakes is great judging by what I've bought.

You can either order the snake online or ring up about it. If you order online they will ring you and discuss the snake - obviously they want to prevent say someone very young ordering without permission from parents. You can ask all the questions you like and they are honest.

When a delivery time is arranged, they will pack up the snake the afternoon before in - a small box with a layer of kitchen roll, in a polybox with a heat pack and crumpled newspaper, in a cardboard carton. All with air holes. The package will go to the courier's depot overnight and be delivered the following day (someone needs to be in of course; they can't specify to the hour. I've found they arrive between 11am/1pm.) The snake is fine; it just goes to sleep and then finds itself in its new home. Well Ziska, to amuse herself, shed and took a dump - she would lol!
JanieW Posted - 08/06/2012 : 17:38:58
lol i'll get shot, but if I a choice of more Royals or a Boa..it'd be the Boa every time lol
Absolutely fantastic snake, oozing with charactor :)
carlb1981 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 17:22:44
Well i paid a visit to the petshop today and they have a couple snakes in i liked one was a creamsicle corn and the other a candy cane corn both beautiful colouring they also had a nice common boa in but i want to keep the big chunky snake buying for royals lol so might just have to pay another visit within the next two weeks and purchase one of the pretty corn unless something prettier turns up. I've seen loads online but I've no idea how they deliver snakes
Strawb Posted - 06/06/2012 : 20:57:00
I've had a cali king for the last 8 years and it's totally daft. He's never bitten me once and is no problem to feed what so ever. His only insistence is that he be allowed to spend the winter under the computer cabinet in my office. As there are no possibilities of escaping from my office he has happily spent the last 6 winters there. Mad bugger.
When he comes out he usually eats a rat and then concentrates on sex for the next couple of months. Apart from the rat I can sympathise with the bloke.
JanieW Posted - 06/06/2012 : 11:03:57
I would love this King snake, its gorgeous :)
Albino Striped Californian King Snake

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=5917&ProductGroupID=825
GMac Posted - 06/06/2012 : 10:53:52
King snakes absoulely rock and the name suits them, they really are kings :d,

temperament wise they do carry a nasty feisty reputation, a rep that as far as ive found out handling numerous kings including the most feirce snake i have ever met, have only been bitten the once.

Feeding wise, no problems there either :D
carlb1981 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:41:41
Just been looking at prices and maybe a king or corn would be best to get and keep the money id need to get a boa or carpet towards my next royal hoping to get a female cinnamon or pastel towards the end of the year
chrisc Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:54:16
haha good point i missed that bit.
bulls can reach 7 1/2ft but the avarage is apparently aroung 6ft ish.
my 2 are 2 years old an the male ia 4 1/2ft an female is about 4ft.
i fully agree bats the feisty ones are more fun, i want something mental next
n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:45:09
Sometimes Sulah's been out during the day, but nothing like Shadrach or a sociable corn. Temperament seems to vary - Sulah's gentle and has only nipped me once when in shed; Blackskull's Cilla is a bit of a madam.

I'm biased though when it comes to feisty snakes - my Ziska is HORRIBLE lol (bless!) but once she's got it off her chest she's totally soppy and the 5' of angry hissing threshing hosepipe sneaks into my sweater and goes to sleep. IMO the feisty ones are fun!
carlb1981 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:37:38
Yeah i loved the look of the carpet they had in when i bought Marty but the guy in shop said he was bad tempered striked him 10 times before he got hold of it for a girl that was interested in it lol are they likely to be like that and are they diurnal
carlb1981 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:34:13
Chris are boas not nocturnal like royal? Or was that just the Brazilian rainbow i looked at.
How big do bull snakes grow one of my local shops have a couple of those in never seen any pine or gophers on my travels. Bats im near newcastle
n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:28:06
Ah yes carpets as Chris says - Irian Jaya carpets don't grow more than 4/5' usually, and they're dustbins too lol, and gorgeous snakes.
n/a Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:22:21
I believe they're quite fast and can be feisty but of course this depends on the snake; they're inquisitive and can musk on you - but they are gorgeous snakes.

As an alternative I could recommend a pine snake. Shadrach, my pine, is totally gentle (although he was well handled from babyhood) and although he's pituophis, same as gophers and bulls, he's way smaller. Ziska my gopher is 18 months and 5'; Shadrach's a year and not 3' yet. Only time I've ever heard him hiss is when he's got his gob round his grub and I have to close his viv door - his feeding response is phenomenal - and he's very diurnal and inquisitive too ...and sociable. He'd never be in the viv if I gave in to his every demand for armchair walkies (I call him the lonesome pine lol).

Don't know which area you're in but I could put you in touch with his breeder in Bradford, or anyone else for that matter; judging by Shadrach I can totally recommend this guy; he breeds housies and corns too and his prices are reasonable; he charged £30 for Shadrach.
chrisc Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:13:23
bull, pine and gopher snakes make great dustbin snakes or theres carpets, corns and boas

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000