The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 AHS Thermal Trip

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 12:21:37
Hey guys, I purchased a Microclimate AHS to heat up my large viv, reading the instructions it says that it has a thermal trip safety procedure which "if the metalwork exceeds approximately 70 degrees celsius then the trip will cut the power to the ceramic heater" and "This is a safety device to ensure that the metal work remains at a emperature that does not cause harm to your reptile" this would sound to me as if I don't need to worry about any extra guard, but it's upto 50c now which is 20c lower than the safety cut out and it's red hot to the touch, this'll fry my snakes if they're in contact with it :P

I realize at it's the first time it's starting up it's going to be a lot hotter than if it's mediating an ambient temperature so I guess I'll have to just keep my eye on the viv' until the temperatures are right and make sure none fo them go down to investigate it.

Anyone else using AHS?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markmifsud Posted - 11/06/2012 : 16:44:24
Keep it guarded, what happens if you have a power cut, on the return of power your AHS will be running at full steam and will get very hot.
Kelfezond Posted - 09/06/2012 : 16:55:22
Finally got it right!
JanieW Posted - 09/06/2012 : 16:03:29
It takes ages to get to temp. the best way is to increase gradually as the stat will shut it down if its on full power for too long.
Turn the dial up when the led light flashes slowly
Kelfezond Posted - 09/06/2012 : 11:09:11
Left running overnight with a massive ceramic bulb plugged straight into the mains and the 150w AHS into the wall statted for about 35c, temps infront of the AHS in the "hot side" are 29c and on the platform on the cold side is 30.5c
Picture below for clarification.

blackskull Posted - 09/06/2012 : 08:39:11
i have the 500w in cillas 4x2x4 i also bought the guard. for me it holds the temps perfectly. i mounted it 3 inches up from the floor to the bottom of the heater. the temp in front of the heater is 30c and at the highest perch, almost at the top of the viv is just 0.5c higher than in front of the heater.
JanieW Posted - 08/06/2012 : 23:56:49
I don't think it makes much difference..but i'll be warmest close to the heater. Fea's is about 7" away, but have had 3 perfect sheds since in his viv.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 22:58:38
So do you put your water bowl in the opposite end to keep it cool or do you just leave it in hot end?
JanieW Posted - 08/06/2012 : 21:56:32
lol yeah, and that's my only quibble..wrong way around..but it does keep the ambient temperature up..and Fea never feels cold to the touch.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 21:05:55
Aye at the moment mine is 32c on the platform above the water bowl and 29c on the floor, kind of the opposite way I wanted it lol
JanieW Posted - 08/06/2012 : 20:52:20
The 500 keeps Fea's 55" viv to temperature, and I havn't had any issues with shedding and Fea climbs when he needs warmth, or stretches out beneath the heater.
The trouble is it acts like an electric radiator, and as such doesn't provide a basking spot, well it does..near the ceiling :) So moving the water dish to help humidity doesn't really work.
I have 31c near the ceiling warm end and 29c at ground level, thats the best I can get.
richard v Posted - 08/06/2012 : 20:26:50
If you have a ceramic in there as well that should be fine.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 20:23:38
Aye well I've got a guarded ceramic bulb on as well heating it up so I'm hoping this little 150w gives the viv that extra little push to get the hot end up, if not I'll see if I can see it and buy the one I wanted in the first place the 500, I've fixed it about 2-3ft high so it's out of "laying against" range for now, will attach a guard as soon as one gets delivered anyway to stop noses being poked on it :P
richard v Posted - 08/06/2012 : 19:46:55
I use the 500 in my 6ft boa viv I brought a guard from custom guards, you are right though they do get very hot on intial set up.
Not sure if you might struggle to get the right temp with the one you ended up with. When I turned mine on the first time it was cutting out all the time as it was heating such a large space once everything got to temp it was fine.
My boa does sit up against it, she is there now.for an extra £20 a guard will give you piece of mind especially with your latest arrival.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 18:39:10
I had indeed to get the 150 but idiocy and not paying attention to what I clicked got in the way
Lotabob Posted - 08/06/2012 : 18:27:02
Kelf your vivarium is HUGE, lol. Go for the really high numbers or just plumb in central heating.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/06/2012 : 17:55:55
Well this has been a fail week - bought a 150 instead of a 500 and didn't get a guard, le sigh!
jebus Posted - 08/06/2012 : 17:44:20
Just bought a 350w AHS for the incoming boa myself, bought a guard too, better safe than sorry!
Assembly will commence Saturday morning!
JanieW Posted - 08/06/2012 : 12:58:41
I'm using the AHS 500 for Fea, but I bought the special guard just to be safe..and he does squeeze underneath it.
frambo Posted - 08/06/2012 : 12:53:58
Personally I'd always guard it, just to be on the safe side. Think about the fact that we stat and prevent direct contact with a heat mat and then consider what a ceramic heater. Also remember that the desired hotspot is around 32 degrees, no way do you want your snake to be touching anything above 40 I reckon!
chrisc Posted - 08/06/2012 : 12:52:17
from what ive read you still need a guard even though the manufaturer say you dont need one

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000