The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 homemade rack or shop bought?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 17:12:55
hi i need some advice as ive been looking into racking for when my snake collection starts to grow, i found a site on google that does them with everything included but they are quite expensive and seem to only be for one sized rub so wouldnt be able to mix adults and hatchlings in the same rack system then i came across a thread on that was on the darkside(found on google im not a member myself lol) where someone had used an ikea wardrobe to make theirs which i liked the idea of but im not sure on how you heat the rubs? i would use mats as could add more as my collection grows and cant be bothered with routering the unit for heat cable lol for using mats are these just stuck to the shelves so the rub sits on top will each rub need its own mat and does each mat need its own stat(which stat is best?) i got a bit confused when reading through as it said theyd used a large mat at the back which heated 3 shelves surely thats not possible or am i wrong? any help or info on this would be great thanks as id like to weigh up the costs against custom or shop bought.
thanks carl

heres the link for shop http://www.royalracksandmorphs.co.uk/?p=racks
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carlb1981 Posted - 11/06/2012 : 01:09:03
Ok thank you for all your help
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:57:09
Well I put the probe in a 0.6L rub filled with substrate
hot glued down on the heat mat
So it's like it's in a rub but just a little one that don't hinder me when I pull rubs out and have to worry not to pull it out to far so the probe don't get moved
I find that its best to keep the probe at a constant temp to
Achieve the temp I want the mats to be

I also do have my adult racks probe just hot glue gunned down on the heat mat
Some say best in the rub and some say on the mat
The adult one seems to hold temp good as well.

Best to play around with it to see what's best for the rack you Will make
I'm sure as its wood and the ambient will be good at the back with the wooden rack
it should be find just hog glue gunned down

Just make sure it's out of the way or the rubs when you push them back In
So as to not knock it off
carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:16:25
yeah its the komplement tubs i think that might have been the thread i found earlier, although i might just use the komplement tubs for the 2 large ones and try and find some smaller ones for the hatchlings as the smallest komplement tubs are 580mm x 500mm so would only get 2 per shelf, where would you mount the stat probe? on one of the mats or in one of the tubs? im guessing leaving it on a mat since it wouldnt get moved like it would in a rub when you remove the rub from rack causing temps to rise in other rubs left in rack?
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:01:31
Think the komplement tubs are what you on about ?
Are you going to go lidless ?

1/3 will be good For the mats
I find what ever the ambient air temp is in my room the rubs are 2c higher
I can feel the heat inside them

No need for wholes on the back of the wardrobe

If you search on the dark side where's threads about pax wardrobes and komplement tubs

carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 21:40:26
ok thanks del boy, so would this work heres a few measurements:- the wardrobe shell is 998mm wide and 580mm deep by 2012mm high the shelves come in packs of 2 with all fixtures needed so was going to get 3 packs to give me 7 compartments one large one at the bottom 600mm heigh before the 1st shelf that will fit martys viv perfectly then 5 equal sized compartments about 200mm between shelves for rubs ikea also do these in 3 sizes that fit perfect heightwise and that will leave a compartment at the top for storage of the cleaning stuff ect. so my plan is eventually to get 2 females and house them in large rubs that take up the 2 compartments above martys viv then keep the other 3 compartments for hatchlings when the time comes so will 2 22"x11"(560mm x 280mm)for the 2 large rubs giving temp gradient left to right and 3 35"x6"(889mm x 152mm) for the smaller rubs giving heat gradient back to front with 2 stats be ok to do as a setup? ive worked the mat sizes to cover a third of the rub is that right or would half be ok? and what about ventilation in the back of the unit will i need holes cut out or will the air circulating around the rub be enough?
sorry for the long winded question i just want it to be perfect
thanks carl
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:36:43
I brought my rack equipment from here

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/EasyFix_Tube_Connectors/c180/index.html

If you want to go with a ally rack
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:35:56
Oh yes
It would be nice to have a stat on each level
But there's no need

Prob the bottom mats like level 1-3 will need one stat then the higher ones will need another one
carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:30:57
Thanks del boy that should make it a little cheaper
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:27:58
Yes a 4-6-8 way extension lead
Plug all the mat plugs to the extension lead then the extension lead plug into the stat
carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:45:15
Do you just use an adapter to plug into stat to control more than one mat? And yes those lp racks are expensive lol
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:23:55
It will be cheaper to make your own

Or

People are raving about
www.lpracks.co.uk
Very expensive but will stand the test of time

As for your stats
You will only need one every 3-4 mats
Wel that's what I do and it works very well

Get your equipment for Surrey pet supples
Cheapest around
carlb1981 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 18:51:44
Using the ikea pax wardrobe frame would come to £92 and would need at least 5 mats and that would be one per shelf going right along the back, could that be done or do you need a mat per rub? Then 5 stats, are pulse prop better to use than the on off mat stats? If this is ok then that should be around £350 altogether with just the price of the rubs and thermometers to add on when the time comes. any suggestions to make the heating side of things cheaper as its the stats that cost the most, will have a look into the B&Q option Rob.
Thanks Carl
Lotabob Posted - 10/06/2012 : 17:20:04
If you get one large mat and stuck it to the back panel and then each rub touches that mat then it could work.

I would build one to meet your specific needs but don't forget that hatchings stay that way for about 9 months, then they are large for 20+ years so it's not a disadvantage to have adult sized rubs. If you know what you want, draw it, plan it and get it cut from MDF is B&Q, probably cost you £16 for the wood, few quid for screws.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000