The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Taken the mouse backwards. Panic over - spat it!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Meadow Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:26:55
Hi all

Having a bit of a panic. Penelope just struck at the mouse but didn't go for the head, she got it around one of the back legs, kind of sideways.

Should I just leave her to get on with it and presume she'll get it all down her, albeit backwards, or should I try to pull it out?

She's bitten the mouse kind of on its back thigh (if mice have thighs), and the legs will have to bend fully for her to get them in her mouth

Sorry for panic post but not sure what to do!!!!

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 16/06/2012 : 11:58:24
Ah, glad to hear she made it in the end. Yeah it's agonising to watch them struggling - you long to help them but usually it's all right. Your daughter's right - snakes aren't stupid - but they can't half act daft at times lol.
chrisc Posted - 16/06/2012 : 11:56:14
glad she ate, they are awkward gits at times my big lad derek tends to eat ass first well when he eats anyway
Meadow Posted - 16/06/2012 : 10:44:47
Great pics, BATS!! In the end, Penelope had about two more attempts at eating the mouse and spitting it out again, but then she got a good hold of it and dragged it into on of her hides and it was gone in no time!
n/a Posted - 15/06/2012 : 22:40:28
Yeah, the ass-end or folded rodent seems to be a favourite with my lot. And that tiny neck can stretch to the width of the royal belly - honest!

JanieW Posted - 15/06/2012 : 22:17:48
I always heat the rodent, but I have never used a hairdryer..I dunk them in a cup of hot water for 5 mins :)
Meadow Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:58:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Scared the brown out of me!
I can imagine! lol

Oh my word!!! I 'just' looked up, and the mouse was no longer where I'd left it - Penelope's just necking it down now!!! Phew!! << scrap that bit, she's not necking it down, she's just chewing it - completely sideways!! I'm going to leave her to it and will just check her in an hour or so!

Love those pics, Lotabob!
Lotabob Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:55:47
They do take them bum first a lot, specially my Boa that likes that end better. I just leave her to it and she sorts herself out.

SIDEWAYS!!!

All goes the same way

Scared the brown out of me!
Meadow Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:52:40
OK panic over - she spat the mouse out. Offered it to her again but she's gone off in a huff now and hidden behind one of her hides.

I've left the mouse in the viv and hopefully she'll take it overnight. She must be hungry as she didn't eat last week and she's just shed so is ready for food!

I think if she'd have taken it properly backwards, with the feet in a better position, she would have been ok, but she was trying to eat it sideways so it wasn't a great position.

I realised that this is the first time I haven't heated the mouse up before offering it, so I wonder if her aim was due to her going for the nearest heat source (my hand), rather than the head of the mouse. Silly me - I won't forget the hairdryer next time

Meadow Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:34:16
Thanks both of you, that puts my mind at rest a bit

My 8 year old daughter just told me 'Mummy, snakes are not stupid'! So yes, I guess I should stop panicking and see what happens!

Penelope's mouth is now up to the front legs of the mouse, but the back legs are sticking out the side!

Thank you so much for calming me down

reptiledanny Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:29:33
Just leave her.she will either eat it backwards or sought herself out
JanieW Posted - 15/06/2012 : 21:28:59
Slinky always used to eat bum first lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000