The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 little red mites

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
koreybum Posted - 20/04/2009 : 22:36:22
discovered today 3 little red mites on my python. thought i saw 1 before but was'nt sure but they were definately on him today and they r red not black. have'nt handled my snake much recently as he is'nt feeding so just trying a different way 2 get him on his food. any ideas wot the mites r and how 2 get rid?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 21/04/2009 : 22:17:38
yep take it all out and bake it or soak it in a 10% bleach solution and give the viv a good clean too
koreybum Posted - 21/04/2009 : 20:52:14
how do i get rid of them, take the wood and rocks out and clean them?
Paulusworm Posted - 21/04/2009 : 06:49:53
Shouldn't be anything to worry about. They're sap-suckers. Got this from the RHS website:

"Despite their name, during the spring and summer these sap-sucking mites are yellowish green with a pair of darker markings. They only become orange red during the autumn-winter resting period. Because of this they are sometimes called the glasshouse two-spotted mite."

If you have put some new wood in the viv recently then they could have come in on that. Also check your houseplants. You'll be amazed how far they can travel in search of food.

Blackecho Posted - 21/04/2009 : 06:32:22
Sorry, I don't know, Paulus is quite good at this sort of thing, sure he'll be along soon.
lee2308 Posted - 20/04/2009 : 23:18:24
have you put any rocks or stones in the viv,just thought it could be those little blood sucker,dont know their proper name.

edit= just been told there called spider mites

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000