The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Can somebody please help me??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 18:09:56

I am really worried about my royal. She is an approx august 08. After doing my research, am i right in thinking by now she should weigh about 500g.
I weighed pip on friday last week and she weighed 101grams, iv weighed her a few minutes ago and she has lost weight. She now weighs 93grams and i really dont know what i can do to help her.

Iv have tried everything that has been suggested to me.
I have tried
mice
rats
mice and rats scented with chicks
braining both
gerbils

i have given them to her
wet
dry
hot
cold
head warmed up
under her favourite hide
iv put her in a pillow case and let her overnight wih food
the list goes on and on

I had her the 20th febraury and she hasnt eaten since then, and i know they can fast for a long time but her weight is increasingly worrying me now.

Here are a some of pics of the little madam

It was bought to my attention that she has got reatined eyecaps, and it has been suggested that this is the reason she is not eating. I have now followed the advice i was given in removing these by increasing the humidity in her tank and adding moss hides. the humidity is now sitting at 60% with daily sprayings, and a larger water bowl.

She is in a faunarium which i know some people advise against but she is most relaxed in there and spends more times in her hides (like a normal snake) lol and less time scouring the sidetryng to get out.

The measurements for th tank are approxinmatly 16 inches by 8 inches and she is about 20inches long and her girth at the widest part is roughly 3.5 inches.

The temp in her tank is 86F on the warm side and slightly lower on the cool side and she seems to spend slot of her time in the middle lol

Her tank is heated from underneath with a heatmat-stated- and the probe to the stat is on top of the mat inbetwwwn the top of the mat and the bottom of her tank.

Here is a pic of her tank

She has got a thermometer and hydrometer in there so i can keep a constant eye on stats lol

Obviously her tank has changed a little due to adding a moss hide.

If there is anything i have missed out please feek free to ask. I have tried to include everything and if i am doing something wrong please give contructive critism and dont just flame me, i am doing my best for this snake but im running out of things to do.

Thank you for taking your time to read this thread

Hana
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wolfspirit Posted - 08/06/2009 : 19:32:40
quote:
Originally posted by Hana

quote:
Originally posted by dazb

Excellent news Hana...

its an absolute god send lol

Rosie has just posted some pics for you Hana on the dark side of Pip eating

just in case you dont see it here is the link.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake-pictures/318743-fao-hana.html
Blackecho Posted - 03/06/2009 : 18:35:30
Rosie?
Hana Posted - 03/06/2009 : 16:03:39
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

Excellent news Hana...

its an absolute god send lol
dazb Posted - 01/06/2009 : 15:21:18
Excellent news Hana...
Hana Posted - 01/06/2009 : 09:50:30
it must be their purpose in life lol, aswell as being very pretty.

Oo oo oo oo, i have some really good news, I took pip to a girl in stoke yesterday fro her to help pip start feeding again and before i had even got home i had a message to say she had got her eyecaps off and pip had ate a pinkie,

YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY go pip haha
lee2308 Posted - 29/05/2009 : 22:01:52
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

quote:
[brif we werent worrying about these we would be worrying about something else lol

very good point, that soooo true!

royals are bred to make worry
Gingerpony Posted - 29/05/2009 : 20:32:32
quote:
[brif we werent worrying about these we would be worrying about something else lol

very good point, that soooo true!
Hana Posted - 29/05/2009 : 19:22:34
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

ah when she gets all shed and eating again you will be alright :D

I know, it just seems never ending at the minute but i guess thats the reason we keep these snakes. if we werent worrying about these we would be worrying about something else lol
MissCat Posted - 29/05/2009 : 09:04:35
ah when she gets all shed and eating again you will be alright :D
Hana Posted - 29/05/2009 : 08:41:37
quote:
Originally posted by koreybum

u r not alone. ive had my snake around the same time as you, and mine has only eat 1 mouse pinkie in all that time. i'm also trying everything i can think of, but am getting no closer. i live in west bromwich, not far from you, just wondered if you bought your snake from a pet shop in great barr as i did?

nope i didnt, i got it from nottingham.It was a choice between her or a boa and because she was the last one i decided to have her-still dont regret it, i am just more stressed out now than i was then haha
koreybum Posted - 28/05/2009 : 20:40:47
u r not alone. ive had my snake around the same time as you, and mine has only eat 1 mouse pinkie in all that time. i'm also trying everything i can think of, but am getting no closer. i live in west bromwich, not far from you, just wondered if you bought your snake from a pet shop in great barr as i did?
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 20:05:37
It has just dawned on me that my corn has got a digi thermometer so i put it is and the warm side it 33.1c and the cool side is 25c
wolfspirit Posted - 28/05/2009 : 20:02:34
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Agree with Cat on the bath, was also going to suggest putting the moss box in between the hot and cold end...

is the person in Stoke Roewammi?

i just tried to get hold of her for you to see if she could help you with the eyecaps.....

Hi, nah its not someone from ****-the unmentionable site lol- also recommended her but i havent spoke to her and dont want to come across rude by just piping up from nowhere

i will send you a pm when i am back on the pc....
Gingerpony Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:52:20
sounds like you're doing all the right things, the current faun doesn't seem overly big but i would definitely go with matty's suggestion of covering the back and sides of the faun so it feels less open. have you tried feeding at different times of day? mine would only feed early morning initially.
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:51:53
quote:

yes it's a possibility, My royals were on there for a good 6 months thouhg and he doesn't seem to have had any ill effects, so don't worry a HUUUUUGE amount about it, til you know for sure :p

stupid question but how would i know??
MissCat Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:47:50
yes it's a possibility, My royals were on there for a good 6 months thouhg and he doesn't seem to have had any ill effects, so don't worry a HUUUUUGE amount about it, til you know for sure :p
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:46:12
quote:

you dont really need to handle her per say you can just pop her in a pillow case and do it that way, i tend to transfer him to the bath in a pillowcase, and leave it on a towel island in the middle, he comes out for a swim for a bit, then i let him run around on a towel afterwards. last time he ended up chilling out up my trouserleg for a bit lol
as i said, handling her will probably stress her out, so will bathing her, but the usual reaction to stress is not eating... which she's already doing. personally i would want to deal with the eyecaps first as that might be the cause of the non feeding :p

I spoke to someone n a rep shop that said there is a possibilty she could be blind as the caps have been on there for a while, they were there when i bought her, i just didnt have the intiative to realise that this is what they were so god knows how long before that she shed
MissCat Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:34:41
you dont really need to handle her per say you can just pop her in a pillow case and do it that way, i tend to transfer him to the bath in a pillowcase, and leave it on a towel island in the middle, he comes out for a swim for a bit, then i let him run around on a towel afterwards. last time he ended up chilling out up my trouserleg for a bit lol
as i said, handling her will probably stress her out, so will bathing her, but the usual reaction to stress is not eating... which she's already doing. personally i would want to deal with the eyecaps first as that might be the cause of the non feeding :p
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:32:46
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Agree with Cat on the bath, was also going to suggest putting the moss box in between the hot and cold end...

is the person in Stoke Roewammi?

i just tried to get hold of her for you to see if she could help you with the eyecaps.....

Hi, nah its not someone from ****-the unmentionable site lol- also recommended her but i havent spoke to her and dont want to come across rude by just piping up from nowhere
Hana Posted - 28/05/2009 : 19:30:48
quote:

someone else might tell you not to do this, as it can stress the snake out, but since she's not eating already, i dont think it would stop me.
have you tried giving her a bath?
My royal has a moss hide in the viv all the time and it's the one he uses the most, but i swear by a bath, both times he has had one, he has shed the same night, eyecaps and all.
once the eyecaps are gone i would offer a feed a couple of days later- you might find she snaps it up.

Ill try the bath then, i was still going with the no handling policy but if it helps its worth a try

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000