The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Feeding prob

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 23/09/2009 : 20:10:18
i have got taz eating but only when i assist him it's been 4 feeds now a month of assists he wont feed on his own he acts as if hes scared of his rat pup everytime he gets near it and gets close he jumps away any info about helping him learn to strike feed would be a lot of help thx in advance
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kashie Posted - 04/10/2009 : 21:22:18
Well done really pleased for you - it's a brilliant feeling when they strike for the first time especailly after all the stress of assisting.
Bad new on my side though, Ziggy has refused two feeds, since his 2nd strike feed and wont even assist for us. :(
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 04/10/2009 : 18:35:23
good news all taz has strike feed for first time on large rat pup im so chuffed
wolfspirit Posted - 28/09/2009 : 12:40:59
quote:
Originally posted by RoYaLsRuLe

well feed day was last night offerd rap pup he showed intrest but did not take rat so held him pressed it to his mouth and bang no more rat hope he learns soon i feel bag feeding him like this but i know it will come in time

the main thing is your getting food down him...

i think it will come to, just be patient..and well done;-)
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 27/09/2009 : 09:31:27
well feed day was last night offerd rap pup he showed intrest but did not take rat so held him pressed it to his mouth and bang no more rat hope he learns soon i feel bag feeding him like this but i know it will come in time
Gingerpony Posted - 26/09/2009 : 22:30:52
i can empathize with your concerns...... my middle Dumerils boa (long story........non-feeder......) i had to live feed for a few months, i kept offering defrost between live feeds which he regularly refused. then one day something just clicked and now he very enthusiastically nails 2 or 3 rat weaners every week

basically what i'm trying to say is that although you're using more desperate measures now keep trying and he should come right
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 26/09/2009 : 19:46:56
todays feed day will keep you all posted
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 25/09/2009 : 15:55:26
same story with mice got 3 sizes of rat pups from small to reg started with smalles first and so on taz is about 1 foot he's still a wee baby but is looking better for it
spor Posted - 25/09/2009 : 00:55:04
good luck with next feed. i know its frustrating but as all said above it will pay of in the end. what size is he now and what size are the rat pups? have you tried him with mice at all? if not maybe worth a try and then when he is eating/striking you could try to switch back over to rats.
wolfspirit Posted - 24/09/2009 : 21:38:20
forgot there is a you tube vid on here of Karl doing an assist on Boo i think, its in the video section
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 24/09/2009 : 21:05:02
thanx will let you know how next feed goes
kashie Posted - 24/09/2009 : 20:32:41
I know Ziggy was so stressed when we first tried to assist.
When we finally did it, it wasn't too bad and after a few times he even started to open his mouth, like as if he knew what we were doing for him.... it got less and less stressful.
I always offered the food for a strike first and if he didn't feed then it was the assist option.
He has struck twice for us now, so I hope assist feeding is a thing of the past.

Good luck to you with your next feeding session - let us know how it goes. :)
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 24/09/2009 : 18:45:55
i worrie alot with taz assiasting him is so horible to do but he looks so much better for it and is getting bigger so i hope in time he starts to feed by him self
kashie Posted - 23/09/2009 : 22:09:13
Yep, look at the problems Ihad with Ziggy.....

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2104

I don't know whether it's because He was used to a rub, and needed time to settle properly, but he has had to strike feeds now and shed perfectly.

I think we all worry far too much about our babies!!! :) I know I did - well, still do.
Blackecho Posted - 23/09/2009 : 20:45:05
When I was assist feeding Rocky, one time I just went to assist him and he struck - scared the life out of me, wasn't expecting it, but he hasn't looked back!

It'll come
RoYaLsRuLe Posted - 23/09/2009 : 20:40:22
i hope so hehe
wolfspirit Posted - 23/09/2009 : 20:18:45
quote:
Originally posted by RoYaLsRuLe

i have got taz eating but only when i assist him it's been 4 feeds now a month of assists he wont feed on his own he acts as if hes scared of his rat pup everytime he gets near it and gets close he jumps away any info about helping him learn to strike feed would be a lot of help thx in advance

Hope Karl sees this, he can tell you all about Boo and she is a pain to, but your royal will get there, it might just take time...and patience

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000