The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 My Royal is making funny noises

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mark.L Posted - 05/11/2009 : 10:50:16
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, and would be really grateful if anyone could advise me in connection with a possible respiratory problem.

I purchased a 2 month old Royal (Basil) from a reputable supplier approximately 3 weeks ago. Prior to purchase I watched the supplier feed him successfully and he has fed every 5 days since then without any problem.

I noticed, soon after acquiring him, that Basil occasionally made funny little clicking noises when I handled him. Now and again he makes a little blowing noise as well. I've been monitoring this in case it developed. I was mindful of the possibility of a respiratory problem but Basil doesn't have any excessive fluid around his mouth and only opens his mouth to yawn or feed. His mouth looks healthy and, in general, Basil appears to be a healthy little snake.

Last night, after I had put him back in his Faunarium, he made a series of little noises which sounded just like a kitten mewing. He did this about a dozen times in a 5-10 minute period. The noises were clearly audible from 10-12 feet away. He didn't seem to be distressed, although he had been quite lively when he came out to play.

I've read various books on snakes, and have a couple of corn snakes as well, and haven't come across these noises before.

Obviously I'm now contemplating taking Basil to the vet to have him checked over. I have spoken to the supplier who has kindly offered to replace Basil if there is anything wrong, although I'm very fond of Basil and just want to be sure he is fit and well. Before I head for the vet's I would be really grateful if anyone could shed some light over Basil's funny noises. Am I worrying unnecessarily about him ?

Many Thanks,

Mark.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 14/11/2009 : 13:33:47
Usually an RI will take several treatments, good luck.
Mark.L Posted - 14/11/2009 : 13:15:12
We've been bathing Basil for 20 minutes every day since he had his antibiotic injection. He shed last night but the old skin came off in bits and we had to assist him with some parts which remained on his body.

He's still making little clicking noises and I fear the infection hasn't cleared. He's behaved really well throughout what must have been a very difficult week for him. I will contact the vet again on Tuesday (7 days after Basil's first visit) and see if there's anything further we can do to help him.

Thank you again for your concern, we're worried about him too.

Mark.
reptiledanny Posted - 14/11/2009 : 10:40:40
any more news
Mark.L Posted - 12/11/2009 : 11:39:07
Thank you all so much for your advice. On Tuesday I took Basil to a vet who specializes in exotics (it was the first appointment I could get). The vet suspected an R.I. and recommended an injection of antibiotics which I agreed to. I am now bathing Basil for 20 minutes everyday as instructed by the vet.

He's still making the clicking noises. I guess that, if it is an R.I. it might take a few days for the antibiotics to kick in.

I will post again when we know for sure what's happening. In the meantime thank you all again. Your help is much appreciated.

Mark.
kashie Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:46:41
I would go with the above advice, and rule out possiblity of RI.
Here's something for you to bare in mind though after your visit.....

My friend has a royal - she was a couple of years old when she bought her and on handling her she noticed she made this funny noise. She asked me if Gladyss (that's one of my royals) made the same noise and of course I said no.
Anyway to cut a long story short, it turns out that when she is handled she gets really excited and makes this noise, but it gets worse when she returns her to her viv! She has done this since she had her and thats been nearly a year now - no sign of RI - she feeds well every 10 days - sheds in one and is a happy contented snake. She has just resigned to the fact that she is a vocal snake.
No explaination for it it's just the way she is.
So dont panic - go to the vet for peace of mind - but it may not be as bad as you think. :)
Gingerpony Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:35:14
ok, call me a hypocrit.........i'd increase his temps by a few degrees, heat the 'cold' end to about 28*C too, effectively giving him a 'fever' and killing the bacteria causing the RI (assuming is bacterial not viral - viral form isn't as common) and try that for a week first..............
AddicksGlenn Posted - 05/11/2009 : 15:43:30
I too, would take him to the vets just to be safe.
But i would also check to see if he has any retained shed near his nose/mouth area.
I was really worried about Hera this morning as she was making wierd popping/crackling sort of noises. She shed last night and upon inspection i noticed there was a very small chunk of shed reamining. I removed it with a warm/damp flannel and the noise stopped instantly. Phew. Panic over.
Mark.L Posted - 05/11/2009 : 15:28:52
Thank you all. I will take Basil to the vets and let you know how he gets on.
chris100575 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 14:24:38
I'd take him to the vet too, I think RI's are fairly easy to treat if they're caught early on. Let us know how Basil gets on.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 13:29:09
as above take to the vets.
Blackecho Posted - 05/11/2009 : 13:27:45
It does sound like an RI and vets I'm afraid.
lee2308 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 13:11:24
i think a trip to the vets is the only answer

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000