The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Help we've got mites.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trio Posted - 25/11/2009 : 22:07:29
Hi there, My brb has got mites. I've read all the information about how to treat them using frontline. I've tried to find it on the internet but it seems to be prescription only. If i go to the vet do i need to take snake or can i just ask for frontline and will they sell it to me for a snake, don't want to look a plank. also are the drops too concentrated cos i can get hold of them easier !
I've took him out the viv and put him in a rub with kitchen towel as substrate but need to act asap he looks so sad.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
trio Posted - 27/11/2009 : 18:40:55
Well in that case it's definately a visit to the reptile shop, the whole family eat, sleep and breathe reptiles.
Will continue with the bathing in the mean time.
Blackecho Posted - 27/11/2009 : 07:19:01
quote:
Originally posted by trio

Just out of interest what is the official treatment, by which i mean what would the vet do ?

I'm not sure there is one to be honest. Not many vets are that savvy with exotics and even to those that are, there is nowhere near the research available that there is with common mammals.
Robert Posted - 26/11/2009 : 20:53:57
Mites are a real pain but they are treatable, main thing is to isolate the infested ones from any others as soon as possible, bathing is good to reduce the numbers drown as many of the little beggars as possible it also soothes the snake from irritation and a rubbing of olive oil is also good as it helps to suffocate the mites that are present on the snake. I use invermectite (Insect spray sold at most pet shops and is an acaricide) to spray on surfaces both in and around the enclosure but prefer not to use on the snake. You can either use frontline as described in the top thread or get some hypoaspis mites and go for the long haul approach but no acaricides on the snakes. I have used hypo's very successfully but it's your call, whatever treatment you choose - good luck your snake will thank you and you will be at ease again knowing it is clean and free of irritant pests !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trio Posted - 26/11/2009 : 19:33:06
Right ok, i shall bath him tonight and go to my local reptile shop to see what he's got. Just out of interest what is the official treatment, by which i mean what would the vet do ?
Blackecho Posted - 26/11/2009 : 06:40:05
Yes, the drops are very concentrated and would have to be diluted down, but I don't know how much by. You can buy Frontline online from France as it is prescription only in the UK. Will try and find the link. Otherwise I just went to the vets and asked for some spray for my cats. Apparently some reptile shops do keep some under the counter if you ask too.
MissCat Posted - 25/11/2009 : 23:46:55
They probably won't sell you the frontline if you say it's for a snake as it's for dogs and cats, not snakes and hasn't been recomened for snakes officially. No idea on the drops, I have only ever heard of the spray being used.
There is also oil baths you can try, which is chemical free, sometimes used best in conjunction with ardap spraying the viv (you can also- so I am told- spray ardap on a small bit of kitchen roll and leave that in the viv/rub) just be sure that if you use a chemical on the snake you remove the water bowl as if they soak in the bowl (which they are prone to do when they have mites) teh chemical can seriously make them ill, if not kill them. I think if you ardap (or any other spray) the viv/rub you have to keep them out of it for a while, sorry, but I can't remember if it's 2 days, 2 weeks or something completely different. there are various threads on here about mites and threatment of them though :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/11/2009 : 22:11:20
trio, I have just discovered the same thing! We will keep each other posted!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000