The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 healthy feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crazysnakeman Posted - 23/08/2010 : 22:10:00
Heya,

I know there's loads of debate over rats or mice for smaller boids and colubrids, but I wanted to know your guys opinions!

Do you think rats or mice for royals?? My male would probably do ok on two XL mice, but he seems to prefer one larger rat! My female isn't fussy, bit of a pig really! Ha ha, but I give her rats cos I'd have to buy too many mice to keep her happy now.. She's doing fine, I'm just slightly worried that the male is slugging out a bit.

So, do you think more handling and exercise for him will help just tone him up a bit, or maybe reduce feeding? I don't know, I just don't want him to be unhappy! He's certainly not obese or anything, he's just not looking quite as toned as the female! Would rather nip it in the bud! I know I've been focusing handling on the female - I've only had her a few months, she's 2 years old, but is a bit moody, so I've been trying to get her used to handling a bit, the males good as gold so I havn't handled him as much.

He gets handled 5 days a week, usually sits and watches tv for a bit with me after work, but he tends to just curl up on my lap! Do you think if I actively made him move through my hands and things he'd tone up?

Cheers for your thoughts guys!
Josh
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fiestastlou Posted - 25/08/2010 : 10:08:58
I think hes just a small snake tbh from what BE descreibed about the loaf shape hes a perfect loaf shape and his skin isnt saggy and hes very toned, hes quite long tho, iv seen alot shorter adult males, thats why i was convinced he was a she hehe, We are gna try rats tho this weekend he prob could do with abit of beefing up but not to much.. i dont want a obese snake haha!
crazysnakeman Posted - 24/08/2010 : 23:06:54
ha ha, cheers guys, hes on 60 grams of rat per and is 649 grams himself, so I guess hes doing ok! hes a loaf shape too, ha ha, I have a feeling the females a bit underweight though, shes 780 grams and about 6 months younger then the male. 400 grams at 18 months fiestaslou is a little light - I had the same when mine was on mice origionally, pick the feeding up to a rat at 10% of his weight every 7 days and you'll notice a HUGE difference, I weigh mine every saturday - feed on sunday, and they'll sometimes put on 30 grams - not empty weight. where as my hoggy puts on a gram per week..ha ha ha bless..

Ok, well if i think he is putting on fat not muscle i'll reduce the feed, but for now il stop worrying!!

Josh
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:22:35
My pleasure, but you have to promise to pass the knowledge down to others
n/a Posted - 24/08/2010 : 19:44:31
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Rats rather than mice for Royals, but maybe smaller ones if they're getting fat. I go with this 'rough' sort of scheme:

Feed 10-15% of the snake's body weight (obviously go for 10% is you're worried about them getting fat).

0-400g: feed ~every 5 days
400-800g: feed ~every 7 days
800-1200g: feed ~every 10 days
1200+g: feed ~every 14 days

Yes, thanks for that - I've written it down in my feeding/shedding diary. Even if it is a rough guide, it's nice and concise.
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:40:16
hes deffo a loaf ;) thanks for the help has put my mind at rest lol love the term "loaf" haha
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:13:10
Think about a cross-section of your snake, it should be 'loaf' shaped:

fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 14:19:50
i so wish i had found this forum when we first got cecil, seems all the advice i was given has been abit un correct! i may forget waiting for the other 2 mice to be used and get some rats this saturday, he dosnt look under weight, id say hes just over 3 foot but i cant see his spine, so hopefully thats a good sign i suppose.
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 14:12:34
I would say for 18 months old, anywhere from 400g - 1200g is the 'normal' range. They do vary a lot though so don't worry at all

As above, I do feed my hatchlings every 5 days so they may grow a bit quicker than if fed every 7.
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 13:35:55
we have always fed him every sunday since we have had him, and we got him as a baby, hes never ever refused a feed, started on small mice, then mediums, now large, roughly how much should he be weighing, also thanks so much for all ur help on here, u been a godsend!
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 13:11:14
That's at the small end, but it depends on how he fed as a hatchling and what he was fed. Personally I'd stick to that schedule on a correctly sized rat and watch him pile it on!
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 12:46:35
hes only a year and half old and at 400g? do u think once a week is enough for his age and weight? or should i do it more regulary or less?
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 12:29:20
Good luck and remember, that that is just a rough guide that I follow, nothing is black and white
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 10:24:49
so glad u posted that blackecho, has saved me putting another post up lol our royals at 400g now and we feed him once a week, wasnt sure if we needed to feed him more, but u have answered my question lol

We wanna put ours onto rats, hes on large mice atm, but have heard so much about rats having more nutrients that as soon as hes had the last 2 mice in the freezer we gna try him on rats.
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 06:49:55
Rats rather than mice for Royals, but maybe smaller ones if they're getting fat. I go with this 'rough' sort of scheme:

Feed 10-15% of the snake's body weight (obviously go for 10% is you're worried about them getting fat).

0-400g: feed ~every 5 days
400-800g: feed ~every 7 days
800-1200g: feed ~every 10 days
1200+g: feed ~every 14 days

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000