The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Over grown spurs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
snakegirl Posted - 08/10/2010 : 18:57:40
My male royal Raj has really long spurs and the left one is irritating his cloaca.
I can’t find anything on trimming snakes spurs in my vet books and am a bit stumped as to what to do particularly as I don't want to upset him (he's a complete wuss when it comes to being handled).
If anyone has seen this before your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 12/10/2010 : 20:26:33
Good news and we've all learnt something
snakegirl Posted - 12/10/2010 : 19:41:52
Spoke to friends partner who’s a vet and keeps reptiles and he told me to just trim them like you would if they where a lizards claws. So I’ve trimmed them down to more reasonable size with the nail clippers and filled down the rough edge. It was surprisingly easy I thought Raj would have through a huge wobble but he didn’t even move, I guess he’s calmed down more than I thought since I got him. Cutting through the spur they don’t feel like lizard claws which are quite tough whereas the spurs are soft and disintegrate easily.
Blackecho Posted - 09/10/2010 : 12:53:10
lol
n/a Posted - 09/10/2010 : 11:54:53
Hi again, I was doing a bit of googling last night - spurs are indeed a kind of claw - as we all know they are rudimentary legs, and the bony 'stump' can be seen on the snake's skeleton. So I imagine a vet would be able to trim the end that's grown like a fingernail ...poor old Raj, you can see where it's digging into him. Or do you know any experienced royal keepers locally, who might be able to advise or even help do the job without a trip to the vet's. Poor guy, I hope you manage to sort something out for him soon.

On a lighter note, any female he bred with would have a rare old time!

(Don't be naughty, Bats!)
boze Posted - 09/10/2010 : 11:17:20
Wowza.... Sorry I cant help but wowza!!!
lee2308 Posted - 08/10/2010 : 23:49:50
they are big,like claws,cant help though,maybe a visit to the vets
n/a Posted - 08/10/2010 : 21:58:33
Heavens - I see what you mean! They're like devil's horns, bless him. That is definitely not stuck shed, is it?

What are the spurs composed of? Is it ?chitinous ?keratinous substance like hair or fingernails or claws - is there a quick, like fingernails and claws? Never thought about this before.

Interesting topic!
snakegirl Posted - 08/10/2010 : 20:25:18
He gets bathed regularly when he’s due to shed so I don’t think its stuck skin.
This is a pic of his spurs (hopefully)
Blackecho Posted - 08/10/2010 : 19:54:05
Any photos, never heard of spurs that long, perhaps he dreams of becoming a lizard?
n/a Posted - 08/10/2010 : 19:11:36
Hi, sorry to hear that. I don't claim to be an expert, and this is a bit of a long shot, but could the overgrown bit possibly be a bit of stuck shed? I understand they shed a layer of skin off the spurs, along with the rest of the body. Would Raj be amenable to a bath, just to see if it loosened by itself?

Hopefully there will be someone along soon with more experience of this kind of thing. All the best!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000