The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Assist feeding When?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
UncleNos Posted - 17/10/2010 : 02:35:34
I got two royals that I got at Doncaster and neither of them have eaten yet....
Nothing new for a royal I hear you all say.
The question though is how long do you leave it before resorting to an assist feed?
The male is 60g and the female is 55g.
I'm not worried yet just getting myself ready for if I need to go down that road.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
UncleNos Posted - 18/10/2010 : 08:05:57
Yeh he's in Aberdeen which is a 2.5 hour drive away I'm actually on my way up there today to pick up an Orange Ghost from someone else. Also his available page lists one snake a Killer Bee for £1700 and says he's got some albinos and het albinos (red eyed snakes FREEK my wife out though lol)
I'm closer to Cris from http://www.royalgems.co.uk/ who has a wee shop at his farm doing herp items as well as rats of all sizes and will be doing mice soon to. Bought our first pair from him and he has been most helpful. He's trying for some piebalds but is failing so far the law of averages is well against him to the point the next time he breeds he should get a full clutch of pies if things were fair.
Blackecho Posted - 18/10/2010 : 07:23:11
Have you tried: http://www.royallymorphedpythons.co.uk/about.html ?

I'm pretty sure Jonny's Scottish, but can't remember exactly whereabouts.
UncleNos Posted - 17/10/2010 : 22:35:47
Yup and a 600 mile trip at the end of the month for two more.
The joys of living in Scotland.
My local breeder is doing pastels (£250) and trying for pied with no luck in 4 years now, I feel sorry for him, I'll feel worse if mine produce lol.
Blackecho Posted - 17/10/2010 : 21:35:30
Ouch, long way.
UncleNos Posted - 17/10/2010 : 21:12:32
Thanks for the advice Mike I've watched the various videos on youtube so I've got a rough idea...
BE I'm in Stirling, Central Scotland so Miles away from any kind of decent reptile shops and any decent snakes too. :-(
Traveling a fair bit to get the ones I want (500mile round trip tomorrow)
Blackecho Posted - 17/10/2010 : 19:39:58
Good advice Mike and congrats on the strike feed

UncleNos, whereabouts are you?
hodgie Posted - 17/10/2010 : 19:05:19
My little Mojave Royal "Little Mo" needed assist feeding, she was only 50g when i got her and unlike all the others that i have i was more concerned purely because of her tiny size. Put it this way its alot more stressful for you the first couple of times than it is for snakey.
Get them straight onto rats, you need rat pups. There are plenty of vids on youtube and if your close to a reptile shop ask them if they have any experience, if so see if they are willing to show you. If they havent then it isnt really to bad. Hold snakey firmly behind the head and push the nose of the rat pup gently into the mouth, with my little royal she refused the 1st time so i stopped as i wasnt willing to try force feeding without professional assistance, but then she took to it like a fish to water, (just make sure they dont wrap themselves around one of your fingers at the same time although at their size you should be strong enough to unwrap them).
Last Sunday little Mo actually bit the rat as i was moving it towards her and last night she had her first successful strike.

I`d say give them one more week at least,

Ps, just wieghed her and she just under 90g now
UncleNos Posted - 17/10/2010 : 17:13:03
I'm friendly with my local breeder so If it comes to that I'll definitely be paying him a visit.
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 15:23:29
As I say, I'm no expert, but is there someone in your area or perhaps someone on here in your area who's got a bit of experience and who could help you assist if you decide to do that? There are videos on youtube that you can watch, as well. Hope they start feeding for you soon. All the best.
UncleNos Posted - 17/10/2010 : 15:14:30
Tried both feeding with tongs and placing in the RUB overnight, neither of them are showing any interest whatsoever maybe a little sniff and that's it. The last thing I want to do is stress them out even more by assist feeding them so it's definitely the last resort. My other two where a bit difficult to start with too but weren't so small to start with.
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 14:21:55
Hi, sorry to hear that. How much interest are they showing in their food? And are you feeding it on tongs or putting it in their viv for them? I'm a novice here myself, but I believe that once they start sniffing and half-striking they're on their way. It may have been quite stressful for them to go to Doncaster and you know royals, no matter how careful you are, they take their own sweet time to settle in. Good luck!
Blackecho Posted - 17/10/2010 : 14:20:18
A that weight I wouldn't want to see them dropping much, personally I'd probably use 50g as a guide to start trying to help them.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000