The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 full head shed left

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kittykat Posted - 22/10/2010 : 09:53:14
This has been my royals first shed with me and it was a bad one, however she has now managed to remove the left over shed from her body but the full head shed is still intact including eye caps, ive tried bathing her but she keeps her head out the water also tried using a damp towel but she just doesnt want her head being touched.any advice much appreciated
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nazzle Posted - 24/10/2010 : 19:22:33
I had this problem with a corn, tried bathing, damp towels, pillow cases, damp hides etc with no luck, but I followed Mikerichards advice on TCS and it worked a treat. I filled a clear box (not a RUB as I didn't think a RUB would let me see well enough) with water to approx 3 times as deep as the snake. I made a little island out of a spare hide, added a drop of fairy liquid (think this is meant to help the water get under the shed?) and stuck a digi thermometer probe through an air hole to moniter water temps (as it was a corn I started at about 28 degrees and took her out when the digi hit 22 degrees). Popped her in, put on the lid and let her have a swim, she actually seemed to if not enjoy it realise what it was for, and proceeded to keep dunking her head under and swimming around before giving up and curling up on the island. I got her out and let her rub her head on a towel and shed peeled off perfectly. Luckily, she's shed perfectly since then.
hodgie Posted - 22/10/2010 : 18:31:18
I have this problem with Hannah (every shed) what i do -
Put her in a tub of water about an inch deep at approx 30 degrees, close the lid and leave her there for around 20-30 minutes. Sometimes its still a little stuck so i get her out of the water and get a cotton wool ball and with it being kept wet i rub it on her head gently from the head to her nose ( i know this is the wrong way to shed but i`ve notice that its stuck on her head because it hasn`t detached from her nose/heat pits) Rubbing gently you`ll notice it coming loose and it will slowly detach. Don`t be afraid when you get to the eyes just keep the cotton wool wet and rub extremeley gently and you see the skin come off. When i get down to her nose i put her on the carpet and she will rub it off herself, Job done.
n/a Posted - 22/10/2010 : 16:23:22
Sorry - I forgot - you probably know this already, but if not - if you put Pandora's water bowl in her warm end, that also helps to increase humidity. Love the name Pandora, that is perfect - do you call her favourite hide Pandora's Box?
n/a Posted - 22/10/2010 : 11:27:58
Hi, sorry to hear that. Shedding's a subject you'll notice we've been talking a lot about just lately. I can't call myself an expert - hopefully there'll be someone more experienced along soon, but just for the time being, have you tried leaving a damp hide or hides in her viv/rub? These need to be no more than an old ice cream tub or similar, with damp kitchen roll or moss in the bottom. Cut a hole out of one side (I use an old knife heated on a gas ring; it melts the plastic and doesn't leave sharp edges) and put the lid on. I like to put one in the cool end and one in the warm - but the warm one will need dampening regularly due to evaporation. If your snake will agree to sit in this the extra humidity may well loosen the retained shed. (Although I know they aren't usually so obliging! Just been having fun and games with my Shahi, awkward little git!)

But just having a damp hide in there will raise humidity and give the skin a chance to loosen.

Sorry if you've done this already - it is all I can think of for now but, as I say, hopefully someone else will have better ideas. All the best!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000