The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 is it ok for my royal to eat gerbils? please reply

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rmnnurse Posted - 26/10/2010 : 19:02:21
Hi all. I have 2 royal phytons. one which has eaten since day one and eats large rats. my other python which i bought beguinning of the yr was not eating for about 5 months and eventually started to eat again. The one concern is it only eats gerbils. It does not entertain rats. I have rubbed gerbils against rats brained gerbils and brained rats, also tried to give my royal a rat as it finishing it gerbil. I have been told that rats are better for royals rather than gerbils. unsure why and would like to know.....
Is it ok to continue to feed my royal gerbils if thats what its been use to? the royal is about 3 yr old active, drinking, likes handling.
p.s i know gerbils cost more than rats but money is not an issue. if continuing with gerbils is fine for its health then im happy
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hodgie Posted - 27/10/2010 : 09:14:00
Have you tried getting some used Gerbil bedding from a pet shop, then put a rat in it whilst it thaws out, that may work, if it does just scent a rat slightly less each time you feed.
bonez007 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 21:11:05
from what i have read rats are more nutritious as a staple diet, it may not be the case but still 1 large rat instead of trying to get him to eat 5 or more gerbils seems far better to me lol

nic
Blackecho Posted - 26/10/2010 : 20:38:40
quote:
Originally posted by bonez007

hey there, rats are by far better for your royal but however if he not eating rats then gerbils are ok. but even large gerbils are so much lighter than a large rat, i would say large gerbil would weigh around 30grams where as a large rat is 250 grams+ you gonna need to dish out loads of gerbils to make up

what is the weight of the royal and if you can weigh a gerbil for us

nic

Are you sure about that? - I thought Gerbils were part of their diet in the wild.
bonez007 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 20:27:45
hey there, rats are by far better for your royal but however if he not eating rats then gerbils are ok. but even large gerbils are so much lighter than a large rat, i would say large gerbil would weigh around 30grams where as a large rat is 250 grams+ you gonna need to dish out loads of gerbils to make up

what is the weight of the royal and if you can weigh a gerbil for us

nic
rmnnurse Posted - 26/10/2010 : 19:17:39
thank you for your reply. he is eating 2 gerbils every 7 days. think maybe im worrying too much. Sorry. thanks again x
Blackecho Posted - 26/10/2010 : 19:08:20
I don't think there would be a problem with Gerbils (apart from cost).

I would have thought an adult Royal would need 3 or 4 Gerbils instead of 1 rat.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000