The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Phantom Shedding???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 01/03/2011 : 11:30:54
Tig still hasn't shed. He had a jumbo mouse last night and was clearly a hungry boy, striked so fast I missed it! But he still hasn't shed this morning. And I don't have a poo to clean up either. I thought maybe a feed might... I don't know-strech the old skin off : /
It's been two weeks now, with him being clear again for one. He's never gone even near this long without shedding and I'm now worryied there might be a problem. He always has a damp hide, and I'm keeping the humidity high for him. His temp is at 90.1 almost all the time (goes up and down slighty with the heating in the living room turning on and off). What could be the problem? The photos in my other post were only just taken the day before I posted them, and that's still how he looks now. I can't see any sign of loose old skin, he's not loose around his sides, his eyes are beautifuly clear and bright... And of course he's eating.
I know it's a stupid question, but seriously is there such a thing as phantom shedding? You know, like phantom pregnacy in mammals. I've never head of phantom shedding and I know that I'm probably being stupid asking such things. But I don't know what to think. He definatly went blue, his eyes went totaly blue and non see through, his skin went a bit loose, he spent all that time in his hide. All the signs were there. He went clear and now... nothing : / He's feeding, as I say and he was (before last nights mouse) even coming out at night-times to explore his viv.
He is also drinking more, but I put this down to him spending such a long time away in his hide (his usual behaviour is to drink more after a shed). But could this be a sign of something else?

What should I do... or think? Should I try a bath? I can't see it helping with there not being any sign of old skin clinging on him. And he hates water and gets all twitchy and nervous if he gets wet, so I don't want to put him through one unless I have to.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 04/03/2011 : 11:34:24
OK, will do : )

I've ditched the hydrometer, they seem to be more trouble than good from people have said, but I've learnt how to judge when the humidity feels right anyway.

I only give him a damp hide all the time now 'cause I'm hoping that over time it'll help his shedding. Not working so far though, is it!
Royalbob Posted - 04/03/2011 : 10:59:16
yep i would just put everything back to normal. I don't use damp hides constantly but others do. i have humidity around 55-60% then just up it during shed cycle.
BlueDragon Posted - 04/03/2011 : 09:00:56
Still no sign of shedding. But he is very active now, exploring his viv and climbing up his branches and vines (he loves to be up, 'doesn't matter where or how just as long as he's up!), so I can't complain at that. He's still very bright and his eyes are clear and he's back to drinking normaly again now. So I still don't get his game, but he seems perfectly happy in himself, so I'm just leaving him to it for now.

I'm slowly lowering his humidity down to where it normaly would be, is this the right thing to do? He still has his damp hide though, as always.
hodgie Posted - 03/03/2011 : 18:14:21
No problem, thats what makes forums like this so interesting as theres probably someone who has been there done that, lol, not that royals do a great lot though.
Royalbob Posted - 03/03/2011 : 15:50:02
Cheers Hodgie.
BlueDragon Posted - 03/03/2011 : 09:12:21
Thanks Hodge. That's strange of her to do that : / Silly girl X )

Tig has had a few days to digest his mouse (finally got some rat weiners delivered for next Monday!) and he's now becoming curious again, sticking his head out of his hide and coming out during the night once I've gone to bed. He's not acting at all like a snake in shed.

...I recon he just does these things to mess with me!
hodgie Posted - 02/03/2011 : 19:04:35
Found it here, just gone though it and it took her a further 7 weeks, but all was well in the end.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2812
hodgie Posted - 02/03/2011 : 18:55:58
I`ll find my original post later for you guys to read.
BlueDragon Posted - 02/03/2011 : 10:26:17
Hmm, no I haven't heard of that either, but if she shed fine in the end then I suppose it's OK. Maybe Tig is planning another blue period soon...
He still hasn't shed and still no poops. I mean it's not often your dissapointed not to have a huge pile of poo to clean up is it? But I think it's just that if I knew he'd pooed then I'd know he was alright. But he has eaten, so can't complain!
He's tucked away in his hide at the minuet digesting, but when he's had a bit of time to himself I'll have a check over him to see if I can see anything different.

Should I keep the humidity higher than usual for him like I've been doing? Or should I lower it to where it normaly would be after he shed?

I couldn't have anything to do with the Aquatize I've been putting in his water could it? I was hoping it would aid his shedding ('cause you'll know by know that Tig isn't exactly brillient at it), not stop it all together : /
Royalbob Posted - 02/03/2011 : 08:49:24
Not heard of this Hodgie. But as above I'd just carry on as normal.
hodgie Posted - 01/03/2011 : 19:27:23
One of mine did this twice last year, (around this time) went blue, cleared then went blue again a couple of weeks later and finally shed ok, i put it down to low humidity in the house as the central heating was on 24/7 + the fact that she has never had a successful shed on her own. Had no problems this year.
From my own experience i wouldn`t worry Tig will do it in his own time.
Blackecho Posted - 01/03/2011 : 12:45:39
Don't worry, just leave him, he'll shed when he's ready

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000