The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Regurge - Advice Needed Please! -UPDATE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lettsy1 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 16:48:51
hi guy, fed 2 of my royals on fri night(both on the same size rats), and both have regurgitated them, has anyone ever heard of the rats being 'off'? gonna leave them til there next time and offer something smaller, but my other worry is i have two due to feed tonight (they are on bigger rats but from the same pet shop) what should i do? Advice needed please!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 21/03/2011 : 21:09:18

Aww bless, good to hear.
Lettsy1 Posted - 21/03/2011 : 21:02:36
Update, fed both of the snakeys on fri night with rat fluffs and they both took them no problem and kept them down. (think their stomachs thought their throats had been cut they took them that fast!) will feed them the smaller ones again for the next feed but all good now. Thanks everyone for the advice. :)
Lettsy1 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 19:44:41
ok BE thank you, you're right they are both chunky monkeys so will leave them 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for your advice, will let you know how they get on.
Blackecho Posted - 08/03/2011 : 13:04:15
It won't do them any harm at all to wait 14 days.
Lettsy1 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 12:51:15
Thanks guys, cos they're fed every 5 days do you think i should leave them 10 day then or a fortnight?
n/a Posted - 08/03/2011 : 10:49:10
Thanks guys.
Lotabob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 22:53:02
Same as a corn snake then, I've dealt with a corn regurge. Advice there is leave it at least 10 days to allow the stomach to do its thing and sort itself out and drop down a food size for the next few feeds.

I basically skipped a weeks meal (making it 14 days betwwen meals) and droppped a size and job done, never had a problem since.
Royalbob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 22:32:07
Yes BE I would leave 2 weeks as well. Sorry forgot to mention after care.
when they regurge they deplete their stomach acids so have to wait while
They build back up. Hence feeding the smaller prey too for a couple of feeds.
Blackecho Posted - 07/03/2011 : 19:10:53
I have seen a couple of weeks recommended to recover form a regurge. Thankfully I have never had to go through this, but it is what I have read.
n/a Posted - 07/03/2011 : 17:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by Lettsy1

Hiya Bats, they are supposed to be fed every 5 days but gonna leave them 7, and feed smaller prey than usual and not going to handle them at all until 3 consecutive feeds just to be sure, (one has now just gone into blue) I think thats all to be honest, i'm sure someone can give better info than me tho hun as this is my first and only time this has happened.(everything crossed!)

Thanks Lettsy!

Good luck with your guys.
Lettsy1 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 17:42:25
Hiya Bats, they are supposed to be fed every 5 days but gonna leave them 7, and feed smaller prey than usual and not going to handle them at all until 3 consecutive feeds just to be sure, (one has now just gone into blue) I think thats all to be honest, i'm sure someone can give better info than me tho hun as this is my first and only time this has happened.(everything crossed!)
n/a Posted - 07/03/2011 : 13:19:37
Hi, I'm hijacking the thread a little here (sorry Lettsy) but I've never dealt with a regurge (touch wood).

What are the guidelines for restarting feeding? I've heard about feeding smaller prey, as Lettsy has said, but is there anything else I should do if this occurs?

I hope never to see a regurge but it's occurred to me that I don't know much about it. (Off to consult Kevin McCurley but thought I'd ask you guys as well.)

Good luck with your two, Lettsy - glad the shop is replacing the rats - it certainly sounds like they were the cause.
Lettsy1 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 12:53:27
Update, I have contacted the shop and it is an isolated incident with them but they are going to replace the whole lot of them for me, she is ordering some more in for friday and replacing them for me on saturday. result! now just leaving Ditto and Dash to recover and will offer on sunday night. Thanks for all the advice!
Lotabob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 00:52:03
I would be a little worried about the whole of the last 10, specially if they were the last, if they have poor stock rotation they could have been in the bottom of the freezer for ages. With them both regurging so close together on rats you bought together it would be the first thing I'd think and I personally would write that lot off as a bad job as a precaution. Contact the shop you got them from and see what they say, it might be an isolated case but maybe not, either way they should be informed, they may even replace them for you.
Lettsy1 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 18:04:10
Thanks Royalbob here goes, only got the rats last weekend, dont know how long they were at the shop, but they normally have a delivery on a fri,(thats why i go on saturdays), totally thawed before warming and offered, no change in temps at all, and undisturbed after feeding as normal. Edited, I've just remembered i took the shops last 10 weaner rats,( i get a months supply in one go) wonder if that means the other 8 i have in the freezer are suspect too?
Royalbob Posted - 06/03/2011 : 17:42:22
Just a few reasons. Yes f/t can go bad. How long have you had them
. how long have they been at the shop? Were they defrosted completely,
are the temps ok In the set up? Where they disturbed or shocked? Also
Too large a prey item can cause them to regurgitate.
Lettsy1 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 17:04:27
Thanks Kelf thats what im going to do and did 'prepare' them like i normally do, (my hoggie and corn are fine) the thing is i offered Ditto one first and she turned her nose up at it but took the second one i offered her, (i thought it may be slightly too small for her, and thats why she refused it) offered the first one to Dash and she took Ditto's reject straight away. Dash then regurged hers the next morning and Ditto last night, but i dont know whether to feed the other 2 tonight with the rats from the same pet shop (different sized tho)
Kelfezond Posted - 06/03/2011 : 16:55:49
You've kept royals longer than me so i wont state the obvious of 'make sure you prepared them right' but i would deffinately contact the place you got them from, if there is anything wrong with them it'd be wise for the shop to know, if not im sure they can advise you further

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000