The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 RI

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
squiggy88 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 21:53:54
im taking kahn to the vets on wednesday as some people have said he may have RI on the forum and upon speaking to the vet on the phone she majorly belives this also as he has all the symptoms..... ive had him about 5 days what would you do
*take him and see what they say
*ring the store i got him from and let them no they have sold him ill
*take him to vets and if he is ill take him back
*just treat him and hope its not too seriouse

im slightly annoyed as upon buying him i got no care sheet as normally stores do supply if u already have snakes or not
they didnt really tell me anything about the care even tho i stated ive never owned a royal before
and i did feel rushed asif they only wanted my money :(
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
squiggy88 Posted - 10/03/2011 : 23:03:07
they had to rearrange to tomorrow sadly he died tonight :(
n/a Posted - 09/03/2011 : 16:42:46
Hi, Squiggy, what did the vet say?
BlueDragon Posted - 08/03/2011 : 09:07:45
I've had to deal with an R.I. with my boy, it's the main reason I joined here. It is scary to think about, I was crapping myself! I was upset 'cause I thought it was all my fault and I was scared for him 'cause snakes only hve one working lung and I wasn't sure how things would turn out for him since he had no 'back up'.

But he's fine now : )

I now think that it was just that he was being kept in his faunarium 'cause once he was put in a crate (even though I was having problems with keeping the temp up) he seemed to start getting better. And now he's in his viv he's fine. The advice I was given is the same as yours, raise the hot end temp and the humidity.
I took Tig to the vet and he was given Baytril for a week, After this I was told (by the friendly peeps on here) to steam treat him (the link that Royalbob has given) and this worked much better. It took a while for him to be totaly fine (I think just over a month), but he improoved loads just over a week. It's much better too in the long run 'cause trying to get Baytril down a snakes neck is not the most pleasurable thing, for you or for snakey. But, saying that, I do think that the Baytril did give the R.I. a kick up the backside, a sort of jump-start to getting rid of it.

Don't freak yourself out over it, or you'll end up like I did! Khan will be fine in the end : )

Good luck at the vets.
Royalbob Posted - 08/03/2011 : 01:09:09
Here you go.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/400758-alternative-r-i-treatment.html
Royalbob Posted - 08/03/2011 : 01:06:01
Hi there, yes this is why I asked on your other post if he sits with mouth open in
the viv. Just scanned through your post now. I see he's kept in a faun. What are
your ambient temps, hot end temps and humidity? The care sheet will provide you
with the correct temp range. You need to separate him from any other snakes,
Stop handling as this will only stress him and contribute to R.I.
Raise ambient and hot end temp by 4-5 degrees straight away. This will help hm.
Don't reduce the humidity as this will only dry the mucas making it appear to be better.
Raise humidity to 60-65% this will help loosen any mucas. Also change water and dissenfect bowl every day. Doing these things alone can
sometimes be enough but as you already have vet booked see what they say and you
Can decide how you want to treat. I've posted the alternative treatment on here. Search the thread that bats suggested and I'll also post back up tomorrow. Using phone right now so a bit awkward. Sorry. I would also suggest replacing the faun with a rub from staples etc. As the open sides of a clear faun along with the very ventilated lid arnt the best right now. Let us know how you get on.

Would also like to say it may not be the shops fault. He could of got the ri from the move. Low temps, cold breeze plus stress = R.I.
n/a Posted - 07/03/2011 : 22:55:01
It depends on how attached you are to Kahn, and how competent you feel to deal with a RI.

I really sympathise as I've been in a similar situation (though not concerning a RI) and although I knew the shop would accept the snake back, I didn't want to do this as I felt it would stress the snake out more - and that was the last thing that was needed. Luckily my dilemma had a happy outcome, and I hope yours does too.

I've never had to deal with a RI but I understand that if the vet diagnoses this, Kahn will be put on a course of antibiotics (usually Baytril.) Most vets are very very supportive, believe me, they never mind phone calls and questions.

Also there's a very good sticky on here about 'alternative treatment for RI. Well, it can be used as supplementary treatment too - it's basically vick and steam, like your mum gave you as a kid. And read Bluedragon's 'What to do for Tig' too, as this describes BD's experience of treating her snake successfully with this.

A RI, though it must feel scary (I'd be terrified!) isn't the end of the world, and we'll all give you all the support we can.

Plus, with any luck, the vet may not diagnose this - try to reserve judgment until Wednesday - easier said than done, I realise ...

If it is, then if I were you, I would contact the shop, and raise hell (as politely as possible lol.) Yes, they may have other animals that are infected - and imo they ought to give a refund/contribution to the vet's bill if you're going to hang on to Kahn. I'd be a bit wary of a replacement under the circs - that may be sickening for a RI too, especially if snakes have been housed together.

All the very very best - keep us posted.
Lotabob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 22:10:41
An RI can be treated easily if its caught early, higher temperatures and lower humidity can sometimes be all thats needed but its best to see the vet to make sure its cught early and sorted out. I'd ring the shop and let them know, he may have more than 1 ill animal as RI's can be passed on. He may even offer to cover/help with the vets bill as shops really don't want bad repuatations.

Theis website has a brilliant caresheet and they are just after your money, lots of shops treat animals like they are selling cans of beans.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000