The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 prey size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonoandapril Posted - 09/03/2011 : 18:31:33
hi!
was wondering about feeding my royal. when i got her she was being fed small mice, but after advice from members on here i went out and got her rats. my only worry is that they look HUGE! their only rat pups which i was told was one up from the rat pinkies. am i just being over protective or can she handle it? shes 12 inches long and weighs about 110g. her weight may be due to a mouse diet so not sure about her age even using the weight/age scale sticky on here but id say 2/3 months max.
cheers for any help guys n gals!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 10/03/2011 : 16:53:12
awsome, feed time today so il give it a go. cheers all!
BlueDragon Posted - 10/03/2011 : 08:39:42
I've always found that frozen prey always looks so big (bloated), but when it's defrosted it kinda shrinks down. So I always try to imagine it when it's defrosted instead of judging size by how it looks frozen.

I'm sure she'll be fine, but she'll be able to judge herself if it's too big for her to eat. But I don't think they will be, sounds fine to me (imagining from size how big her fattest part of her body is) : )
Kelfezond Posted - 09/03/2011 : 18:36:13
Try weighing the rat if its withtin 11 to 16g it'll be fine but the snake will probablly be able to handle much bigger prey anyway as they're designed to eat large meals. Normally the rule is if the rat is about the size of the thickest part of your snake then its okay.
n/a Posted - 09/03/2011 : 18:35:01
Hi, a good feeding guide (courtesy of Blackecho) is 10/15% of the snake's weight.

Hope this helps.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000