The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Not happy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
louise32 Posted - 25/03/2011 : 10:47:06
Bella's stopped eating again.

Her new trick is to strike, constrict and then leave the mouse.

She has done this twice now. Both times I thought it wouldn't be a problem as she struck so well and constricted as normal, even did the 'yawn' thing, getting ready to start to swallow the mouse and then just left it. Both times I have left the mouse in with her overnight and she is in a rack so nice and hiden away, all quiet and calm for her but no, mouse is still there in the morning. She has been very active in the rub and seems to be in hunting mode so I don't know what she is playing at. Royals!!!

Will try again in a few days.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 23/05/2011 : 12:54:34
My first royal didn't eat till now, it's been almos 7 weeks, I was upset for the first two weeks but now i'm not because of what i read from u, i think it's normal that royals stop eating every while, i think because in nature she can't find a mouse every week, so it's designed that way, so if here's nothing bothering it (like cold weather, decrease in humidity ...etc) it will eat as soon as it will feel hungry.
thins is what i think.
Kelfezond Posted - 23/05/2011 : 09:57:34
If you were stressing was probably a good idea, not worth making yourself ill over it and she sounds like she's doing well but I don't think she would pick up on your stress :)

As for boas, they're awesome but I'm slightly backward, I have 5 royals and 1 boa and the boa is the one I can't get feeding :P
louise32 Posted - 23/05/2011 : 09:48:28
I did need to do it, me stressing was no good for her. Course it makes a difference to her, she is eating now, gaining weight.

I won't get another royal. That would be a really silly thing to do. They are not for me.

Boas have taken over my life now lol
Kelfezond Posted - 23/05/2011 : 09:27:04
Nobody said it was a bad choice we just said you didn't need to do it, which I don't think you did. As long as she is being taken care of by you or somebody else it won't make a difference to her but it's a shame you had to lose out on a lovely species of snake. Better luck next time if you choose to buy another
louise32 Posted - 23/05/2011 : 08:52:48
After the reaction I got from you guys I thought I should infact update you all on Bella's progress. She went to a friend of mine from the forum and ate first time for him and continues to eat everytime and has never refused for him. It's been around 6 weeks now and she now weighs 195g!! She is happily eating defrosted rats.

I stand by the choice I made. She is happier, healthier and eating now with her new owner. What more could I ask?

Clearly the problem was with me and as a result I think it was the best choice all round despite what some of you thought.
hodgie Posted - 29/03/2011 : 17:39:31
How extremely sad to read that you are giving up your snake because it doesn`t feed when you expect it to, even at 111g, a 3g loss is nothing to worry about.
They are all different, to say you have a non feeder maybe jumping the gun abit. I have a Pastel Male who i`ve owned for nearly 2 years and in that time he`s eaten 21 times but he is perfectly healthy and i dont even offer food now on a weekly basis but on a 3 weekly one as i find i get a positive response with as little hassle as possible to him, even then 9 times out of 10 he`ll strike, constrict and let go, so i have to warm up the rat again 20 mins later and i find he`ll then strike again and eat.
You need to find what works for you and your Royal.
sexychef Posted - 29/03/2011 : 09:56:03
i personally think you are being to hasty, i know the issues with non feeders.

my first ever royal ate twice when i got her at 200g then didnt eat for over 30 weeks only lost 15g.

i also had to go down another route with a hognose snake that would eat and was 7g lighter than when it was bored.

so just stay with it.
n/a Posted - 28/03/2011 : 18:06:23
Yup, we've all been there done that as new owners, and it is hell, especially when other people's snakes are feeding and your first royal isn't (that happened to Shahi and I so I do know how it feels, reading on the forum about other peoples' snakes successfully feeding and feeling totally dreadful and worried and panicky because Shahi wasn't.)

It's all part and parcel of the great royal owner initiation. Every royal does it at some point in its career - hell, loads of snakes do it - my tiny corn, Cy, is a devil for going weeks without feeding and she's about a tenth of Bella's size.

It's hell while it lasts but then when the snake feeds for you ...oh boy! Hope you manage to persevere.
Blackecho Posted - 28/03/2011 : 17:55:16
Maybe you're attempting too often, this can cause stress and hence longer periods of fasting.

You will get used to it and its not doing her any harm.
Lotabob Posted - 28/03/2011 : 17:52:40
Lou its just the time of year, its not that she is a problem they are just all been pains at the moment, Duke is hit and miss and Spot hasn't eaten for three weeks. I wouldn't give in just yet on her, she'll come round when she is ready to eat again. Its not uncommon for them to not eat for months, she has eaten so you know its not a health issue and your setups are good so its just a patience thing.
Kelfezond Posted - 28/03/2011 : 17:14:57
Makes me wonder what reaction you were hoping for.
louise32 Posted - 28/03/2011 : 16:22:19
Not the reaction I hoped for but nevermind. It's not been 3 missed feeds, altogether it has been 9 missed feeds. She has only eaten 3 times for me.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered posting the update.

I won't be updating this thread anymore.

Kelfezond Posted - 28/03/2011 : 16:04:02
One of my first snakes I had to have assist-fed. I was a complete noobie at the stuff and terrified I was going to do something wrong, best thing you can do is relax, like BlackEcho says it's natural for a royal to go off his food and sounds as if you're doing more harm to yourself than the royal. Just chill out and keep at it, it's all part of owning a royal python :)
Blackecho Posted - 28/03/2011 : 15:54:58
Seriously? - You're going to put the snake through the stress of re-homing again for not having eaten 3 times?

How about just accepting that there's nothing wrong and being patient?
MrsA82 Posted - 28/03/2011 : 15:45:46
Sorry to hear you are rehoming her. It's very frustrating we have a pinstripe we've had him 2 and half weeks and hasn't eaten yet so know how you feel. Most annoying part was last night he struck, missed, and that was it game over

Just wanted to add. We ave 2 pastels and last night they constricted but both let go. The male started by himself but female let go. My trick is to give rat another lil wiggle and BAM she was back on it down straight away!! I know it was lucky but I know that sinking feeling when they let go

Hopefully someone else can get her going
louise32 Posted - 28/03/2011 : 07:29:37
Well, an update for you all.

Bella did not eat again yesterday. She struck the mouse, constricted the mouse then looked like she ws about to eat but no. This morning I wakoe to find one rather smelly mouse, still in the tub with her. She has lost 3g now, not alot I know, but she was only 111g anyway!

I have decided Bella needs to be with someone who knows what they are doing and so Bella will be going to a new home soon. She is going to an experienced owner who has dealt with non feeders before. I am certain he an get her back on track. He did ofer to take her on just to get her feeding again and then bring her back to me but I just think she will be better off with him if she does start feeding again, which I am sure she will.
Blackecho Posted - 26/03/2011 : 19:50:50
Just remember they're not mammals, so don't get frustrated or annoyed, they eat when they want/need to.
louise32 Posted - 26/03/2011 : 11:29:18
Thanks everyone.

I'm just dissapointed as the advice I got was great and had worked a treat and I have not done anything different so a bit miffed as to why she's not interested now.

Will try her again Sunday and let you all know.
stevethornley Posted - 25/03/2011 : 23:25:36
Sorry to hear this Louise. I know very little but one thing that so many people say, and I was warned about before we embarked on this adventure, and you'll know it to... They are fussy buggers when it comes to eating!

Try not to worry. I think your Bella is a gorgeous snake. You are obviously doing something right!

Steve
sandi Posted - 25/03/2011 : 21:35:15
Royal...pseudonym for frustrating!

Good luck!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000