The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Please HELP!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brad Posted - 17/04/2011 : 14:35:30
My young ball, Bella has got mites in her eyes.
I've treated her with 'Four Paws Nature's Reptile Protector' and noticed a few in the water after I'd bathed her but the ones in her eyes are still there wedged just under the skin. OMG! I can't imagine how iritating that probably is for her.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
I've checked Brian my male ball he looks fine but I'm still going to treat him anyway just to be on the safe side.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scubadude Posted - 21/04/2011 : 05:44:32
good luck with the battle and let us know how you get on.
Brad Posted - 20/04/2011 : 17:40:42
Callingtons mite spray arrived yesterday not seen a single sucker up to now, bathed her everyday though in water with a drop of washing up liquid. The ones in her eyes are still there but not as many (there were about 5 or 6 at first, can only see 2 now). Keeping her well away from Brian for a few weeks but I'm treating him anyway. Thanks everyone for the tips and tricks much appreciated.
Brad Posted - 18/04/2011 : 18:33:05
Gave her a warm oil bath today, she stayed in for a good 10 mins, her eyes were under with just her nose poking out, she didn't seem to mind too much. Got some more of the little suckers off the ones in her eyes are still there though, I do hope they come out. Gave her viv a good strip, clean, disinfectant and rinse before putting her back Going to repeat tomorrow. I use unprinted kitchen roll for substrate anyway. Got some Callingtons on order should be here this week.
scubadude Posted - 18/04/2011 : 17:24:33
I can recomend Callingtons mite spray, I've used it very succesfully myself (it has also recently been licensed for direct use on the snake in Australia where it's from) If you're not happy spraying the snake directly, the method I used was to spray an old pillow case inside with callingtons, let the fumes dissapate and pop the snake in for an hour, whilst it's in the bag so to speak, strip out your rub and as others have said use kitchen roll as a substrate (makes the little bleeders easier to spot) take out the water bowl and spray the viv/rub with callingtons, once snake has spent an hour in the treated pillowcase and pop back in the rub/viv, remember to leave your waterbowl out for 24hrs.
Hope this helps good luck
reptiledanny Posted - 18/04/2011 : 08:59:58
i went to my local repn shop and they treated all my snakes once with frontline
i then treated the one that actually had mites for about 2 weeks with oil baths and coated the snake in oil when they were dry and within a week i could not see anymore mites, and then after 2 weeks they were all gone
sandi Posted - 18/04/2011 : 08:55:21
The little gits are hard to get rid of, I used frontline and it worked very well but remember that the eggs are not killed and can hatch out weeks later so repeat the treatment.

Hypoaspid Miles, biological control, is also very effective, personaly i think a large infestation is needed for them to work though.

As for the one on the eye, as above, it will drop off when full up.
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:38:08
It seems alot of people are having mite problems at the moment. I may try the oil bath on Dio as well as spraying the viv.
Brad Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:32:49

I like the sound of that mate, the last thing I want to do is spray stuff in her eyes and stress her out. I'll bath her in oil and use the spray to clean their vivs out. Thanks to everyone for replying, I'm sure I'll be able to sort them out now.
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:12:11
Oil baths take the mites on the snake off the snake but the viv/rub will be infested too which is where the spray comes in. Not to spray the snake.
hodgie Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:59:16
I`d say forget all the sprays as you dont want to get them near the eyes, the easiest and safest way and i needed to do it myself and its completely harmless is an oil bath although i would have to disagree with the method above.
What i did is to fill a tub with clean veg oil leaving a small air bubble and drop snakey into it and leave it there for about 10 minutes (snakes have a very good ability to hold their breaths with some taking upto 40 minutes for vets to anethitise for operations, so you wont do it any harm) this will coat the mites and kill them very quickly, then lightly rub the snake with a clean tea towel, and place it in a pillow case with lots of shreaded paper to really clean it off. This will work and will have no side affects.
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:05:10
Oh I think I can see them round the eye, the eye itself is protected by the eye cap so they'll fall off when they've had their dinner (snakey blood). Best to get it treated though, the mite treatment link is your best bet and both snakes will need treating unfortunately, both enclosures stripped right back and if you can spray around the area where the snakes are kept then do that as the mites wander.
blackskull Posted - 17/04/2011 : 19:41:36
there is a spray called callington mite spray which i used to treat the mites i had last year. it worked a treat for me and only took one treatment
Brad Posted - 17/04/2011 : 19:13:58
They're not under her eye cap ther're right down between her eye and scales/eye lid/eye socket.

Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 19:07:38
Are they fully under the eye cap?

Normally they push in to feed but not deep enough that they suffocate themselves, once they've had their feed they will come back out.
Brad Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:16:27
Hi Martin

Thanks for getting back to me. That's ok but I'm just a bit concerned about the ones wedged in her eyes. when they hopefully die will they come out or will they have to be removed
martin Posted - 17/04/2011 : 17:22:57
Hi Brad,
I have experienced mites on several snakes and tried everything, I have found only one method to work for me.
Basically remove the snake fron the tank and clean it very well and remove all enclosures, plants etc. Then only put minimum back on a bed of kitchen towel, unless you can use a seperate container for the snake which will save you cleaning the tank again. For the snake, the only stoff worth buying is frontline, I usually borrow the dogs! All you need to do is dampen a piece of cloth or kitchen towel and apply a few drops of frontline depending on the size of the snake and rub it all over avoiding the eyes! you must try to get every other part though as they get under the scales. they place the snake back in the tank or plastic container and that's it. Make sure that the area is vented in case it smell too strong or keep the snake out for a short while. This has worked for me 100% many times, don't be afraid of the frontline I have just done it this week on a 7 ince western hognose snake! don't try cheap alternatives they don't work, frontline costs more but works. Hope that helps, good luck
quote:
Originally posted by Brad

My young ball, Bella has got mites in her eyes.
I've treated her with 'Four Paws Nature's Reptile Protector' and noticed a few in the water after I'd bathed her but the ones in her eyes are still there wedged just under the skin. OMG! I can't imagine how iritating that probably is for her.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
I've checked Brian my male ball he looks fine but I'm still going to treat him anyway just to be on the safe side.

GMac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 14:57:59
have a look at the stickies on the top of the health section for mite treatment, but first get your snake away from all other snakes you have to limit the spread of the mites, have your snake on kitchen towel and not any other substrate, take out all viv accessories and give them a good boiling.

You can also use oil baths to clear the mites, using warm water and adding olive oil or similar or even a bit of washing up liquid and letting the snake bathe in that water. Making sure the water temps are not warmer that the hot end of the viv or too cool.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000