The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Whats Up WIth my snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pythonwizard Posted - 10/06/2011 : 17:55:02
My snake has been lying in it hid for 2 days and hasent had any water

i think it may be shedding what shall i do can anybody give me sum advice

and signs of shedding
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:41:13
Haha I missed the tail tip bit too. Where are my glasses? My corn snake seems quite fond of the skin on his tail too, past 2 sheds I've had to just wet my hand and VERY gently run the tail through my fingers, not pulling or picking at the skin though, that's bad news. Though if you want a keen eye cast upon the flaking tail then post a picture (instructions in pictures thread section).
n/a Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:23:39
Ah, sorry, we overlapped, didn't see your post re skin peeling. That sounds to me like some stuck shed rather than the beginning of a new shed - though pics will help.

As Kelf said, you need to keep an eye on tail and eyecap skin when shedding ... don't worry just now while she's settling in and digesting, but when she does shed, if the tailtip doesn't come off cleanly, try putting her in a damp pillowcase in a ventilated rub for half an hour ... tie the pillowcase at the top and just let her squirm, which may bring the stuck shed off, helped by the extra humidity. You can also try gently helping skin off by letting her wriggle through a damp towel - but never pick at the skin; if it doesn't slide off it can take the new skin with it.

However, this is all worst case scenario stuff, but it's as well to be prepared. Sounds like she's doing fine, but may need an eye kept on her when she sheds next time.
Lotabob Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:22:47
You'll not be able to miss the 'blue' phase.

Royal Pythons are without doubt the least active animal I've ever owned, I NEVER see Duke out, never see him drink, rarely see him eat. He comes out to play when I go and get him but other than that he does what millions of years of instinct has taught him, stay still conserve energy, stay hidden. Duke sneaks out at night, I can tell he has been out as his vivarium looks like its been hit by a bomb. Don't expect any activity at all and if you happen to see movement then you can get excited, take pictures and post them on here.
scubadude Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:52:15
Don't worry Aaron, as Kelf and BATS have said he's just doing what royals do, you have to remember in the wild most of their life is spent underground in rodent holes, moving out at night to find the next small rodenty looking hole or when old enough a suitable mate. alot of their water intake they get from their prey, and what they don't comes from the bowl, and only when they think nothing is around to eat them. millions of years of evolution and instinct is very, very strong.
Kelfezond Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:13:58
Bah I bought scar my big male just before mating season hit, I didn't see him or get a feed in him for 5 months. I might as well have just bought an invisible snake lol
n/a Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:09:34
Your little guy's just had his first feed, hasn't he? He's happily digesting by the sound of it ...yeah, as Kelf says, if he wants a drink, he'll come out in the night. I've never seen Shahi drink yet - and I've had him for nearly a year.

Again as Kelf says, you'll know before he sheds. Also before their eyes go blue they look as if they've been dipped in flour - it's unmistakeable, especially on their bellies, a really cloudy, dusty look to them.

But I'd say he's well settled in and digesting his first feed with you - sounds like he's happy and contented and, typical selfish royal, doing his own thing - sometimes I don't see my lot for days on end lol
Pythonwizard Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:05:53
Because I can notice at end of her tale skin peeling I will post sum pic later
Kelfezond Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:00:16
That is generally what royal pythons do, she'll be drinking in the wee small hours of the morning when its pitch black.

As for shedding I wouldnt worry if you haven't noticed her eyes change to a blue colour she's probably not shedding but if she is she won't need your assistence with it. If things go wrong in the shed you'll notice by the colour she turns and small pieces of shed skin will be scattered around the viv, normally the only thing that can go wrong is the shed on her tail can get stuck or the eye caps get stuck.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000