The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 IBD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mulv Posted - 04/02/2009 : 16:53:01
*If any mods think this should go in health, feel free to move it, but it's more a discussion than a problem I have so I put it here*

After reading a fair bit on IBD, and currently thinking about bringing another boid into my collection, does anyone know of any methods that can be used to find out if a snake has it?

I read that there was only one way, a liver biopsy I think it was, but that was in a book that I think was written a few years ago.

Also, if you house the snakes in separate vivs, what is the likelyhood of it passing from one to another, because isn't it passed by bodily fluids?

If anyone knows anything about it feel free to discuss!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kam Posted - 20/04/2009 : 09:43:05
This IBD sounds like a nasty bit of work . Heres a link i found that some of you may find interesting: www.anapsid.org/ibd.html
wolfspirit Posted - 14/04/2009 : 20:54:05
Just been reading a post on the dark side, cant put up a link cos am on my phone.

IBD scares me because i think that Maureen is right about it and many pythons and boas are dying from it than we know.

When you bring in a new snake do you enquire about its background before you buy it, like has it been kept near common boas?

A lot of people cant afford to get pm's done so we dont really know the extent of this dreadful disease do we.

I would be devastated if i lost Peanut or any of my other snakes to this disease.

Now it seems some pythons are also carriers.
Mulv Posted - 16/03/2009 : 08:53:30
I think a lot of the prevention of IBD is down to thorough cleaning procedures and making sure you follow strict routines regarding equipment, the order in which you handle your snakes and washing your hands in between.

It did phase me slightly when I was looking into Dums but you can't let the fear of something that's quite uncommon stop you from expanding your collection, not if you are careful.

I think Kaz hit the nail on the head, its similar to this, everyone knows there is a risk everytime we get in a car, or cross a road, or board a plane, yet it doesn't stop us doing these things day in day out (maybe not so much the plane one) so why should the risk of IBD stop people from buying snakes?
wolfspirit Posted - 15/03/2009 : 14:00:43
Yes she has not posted for a while.

You know it would also be interesting to find out how many snakes that developed similar symptoms have previously had mites as well..
Blackecho Posted - 15/03/2009 : 08:14:54
Shame we haven't heard from Anatess in a couple of weeks, she could of given us the American view on it.
wolfspirit Posted - 15/03/2009 : 07:22:37
I think it may be more common here than we think, many snakes are dying with similar symptoms, but also many are dying without a pm because of the cost of having one done, so it is an unknown quantity really isnt it? would be good if some of the vets that know could do pm's just to see how many that have died have got it...
Mulv Posted - 14/03/2009 : 18:22:50
I think it's a lot more common in the US from what I've read but don't know about it being in the wild sorry.
wolfspirit Posted - 13/03/2009 : 17:05:18
that is what i read that it came from the US, does it exist in the wild?
matty18714 Posted - 13/03/2009 : 16:34:07
Did IBD origionate from american imports?
Kazerella Posted - 13/03/2009 : 15:49:26
I've been thinking about this and this is what I've come up with. Being scared of IBD in relation to snakes, is a bit like being scared of HIV in relation to sexuality.

If you read up on HIV or saw someone who had been inflicted by it, you could easily scare yourself into never having sex again. But statistically you are a lot more likely to catch genital warts or Clamidia through unprotected sex than you are HIV, since they are the two most common STIs in the UK today. People should be practising safe sex to avoid all types of sexually transmitted disease and not just primarily because they are scared of HIV.

I think it's the same with IBD. It is a scary prospect, but statistically your snakes are a lot more likely to catch mites or a R.I from not doing safe hygiene practises, since these are a lot more common. Snake keepers should be practising safe hygiene things to avoid all diseases and not just primarily to avoid IBD.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I do realise that IBD is worthy of a bit of worry, but it's not the thing we should worry about most.
MissCat Posted - 13/03/2009 : 14:09:50
thankyou, just googled it to read up, it sounds really nasty! :(
Blackecho Posted - 13/03/2009 : 14:06:33
Inclusion Bodies Disease, I don't believe there are any qualified occurences of it in the UK, but there are a lot of suspicions that it is here.
MissCat Posted - 13/03/2009 : 13:36:22
sorry- what is IBD?
wolfspirit Posted - 13/03/2009 : 12:47:49
Some good points there Kaz,

"but you can transmit viruses via your clothes, your foot wear, your hair"

That was a quote from Maureen Collinson and she is so educated about these viruses..

I think it may be more common than we realise...
Kazerella Posted - 13/03/2009 : 12:35:25
My rainbow boa is in the same room as my royal, but I don't really see it as a major risk. They never mix and my hands are always cleaned between handling and their stuff is never inter-changed, so being in the same room is very minor point really.

IBD is rare so it's worth knowing about and watching out for, but it wouldn't stop me buying a boa if I really wanted one. I think it's more a thing to worry about if you buy and swap and change a lot of your snakes regulary, or if you buy snakes from breeders that do a lot of swapping and changing of stock.
wolfspirit Posted - 13/03/2009 : 12:13:41
i read over on the dark side that a boa has suspected IBD, but not sure, do any of you house your Royals near boas?

If someone had a boa and a royal in the same roon and the boa had IBD and you never knew how long before your royal was dead? It is such a big risk having boas and pythons together isnt it?

Dont think i will bother with boas now...not even rosy's.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000